• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can TMNT 2K be concidered a anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laruto

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching this series from the start and i have to say, It rocks the stories the twists and turns in it are anime like and set up sooo brilliantly. TMNT 2k even has fillers good ones, not to mention there fight scenes WOW. I think This show should be concidered an anime. What do you think?
The Frankman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Just because a show is cool or is "anime-like" doesn't mean it is Japanese anime. Does it follow the style of /have the earmarks of it? I say no to both.
NeoEllis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:17 pm Reply with quote
By and large, a show is not considered to be anime unless it had originated in Japan (or Korea).
The Frankman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Watch the "anime" they did of Sammy Sosa's chase for the home run record and get back to me. What a travesty.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I haven't even bothered to watch 2k. Well, okay, maybe an episode or two. Yes, its animated so its anime but don't even bother trying to use this reasoning on anyone...it doesn't work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Frankman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:25 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
I haven't even bothered to watch 2k. Yes, its animated so its anime but don't even bother trying to use this reasoning on anyone...it doesn't work.

That's why I stick "japanese" in front of that word when I want to differentiate. Surprising the negative reaction to the application of simple logic.
Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Why do you care if its anime? would that make the show any better to you. Just so you know in Japan anime basically means animation not really japanese animation so you could count it as anime although it really isnt. If you love the show now it wouldnt make you love it anymore if it was actually japanese now would it?(actually it might if you do enjoy japan, which is a high possibility Very Happy )
Tiresias

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:28 pm Reply with quote
In Japan, any type of animation is considered anime, so yes, over there it would be anime. However, here it's just a cartoon. In the US the term anime is generally accepted to mean cartoons that originate and are animated in either Japan or Korea. Basically, if you're Japanese, then yes it's anime, but if you're from the States it's a cartoon.
Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quote
Tiresias wrote:
In Japan, any type of animation is considered anime, so yes, over there it would be anime. However, here it's just a cartoon. In the US the term anime is generally accepted to mean cartoons that originate and are animated in either Japan or Korea. Basically, if you're Japanese, then yes it's anime, but if you're from the States it's a cartoon.

That about sums it in my opinion Very Happy
HITOKIRI BATTOSAI

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:35 am Reply with quote
It is not considered an anime to me
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Great melting-pot that we are, America "borrows" what it likes from other cultures. Words are regularly adopted into other languages with slightly different meanings from the original (witness otaku worn proudly here being something of a slur in Japan). So yes, America, seeing how popular anime is becoming, will likely work up anime-style animation(cartoons here), but they are, in the terminology of their originating land known as cartoons. The most I'll give you would be to stretch the term "American manga"(& they are comic books here, they're simply done manga-style) to "Americna anime", but even that really seems like too much of a stretch. I think considering them anime-style or anime-influenced would be the extent of calling them anything anime.
spider-moose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
well there is a japanese anime of TMNT out there, a 2 episode OVA

pretty fun to watch if you enjoy Ninja Turtles
SamRegal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:41 pm Reply with quote
NeoEllis wrote:
By and large, a show is not considered to be anime unless it had originated in Japan (or Korea).

It's drawn in Korea. In the style of Japanese anime. Based on an American comic book, that was a spoof of several other American comic books.

What a melting pot TMNT is!
Tiresias

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote
If you want to be really technical, it's outsourced to cheap animation labor in Korea. Based off of ideas and storyboards produced in the United States based off of a US comic book. Just because it's drawn and animated in Korea doesn't mean it originates from there nor does it make it anime. At best, it's an anime-styled/influenced cartoon.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:31 am Reply with quote
Tiresias wrote:
At best, it's an anime-styled/influenced cartoon.

Eh, I wouldn't even go that far with it. People try too hard to compare "styles". Why can't people just accept that America is capable of coming up with good original action cartoons without trying to pick them apart? I cringe every time I see someone talk about Jackie Chan Adventures' "anime style", when it doesn't even remotely resemble an anime!

But none of that gets me fired up more than the phrase "anime style comic". *groan*

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2