• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Need a recommendation based on a few shows

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I need a recommendation based on the last few shows that I have seen. I am looking for a comedy/romance/slice of life/drama(not the sad kind) also could it not be a very very long series.

Last few shows I have seen seem to fit in that catagory

Onegie teacher+ova------------very good
Onegie twins+ova--------------Good
Ah! My Goddes ova-------------Good
Chobits------------------------very good
DearS--------------------------Very good
Girls Bravo----------------------Meh
Love hina----------------------Meh
Love hina specials movies- -----Meh
Love hina agian---------------- Meh
Narutaru-----------------------Every copie should be burned
St lumouis mission high----------Good
I my me straberry eggs----------Very good
I dream of mimi------------------Good
Futari Ecchi ---------------------Good
Saikano Epp 1&2-----------------Could Not watch past epp 2 if you have seen that show you know why.

These are the shows I have seen in like the last 2 months.
I really hope someone could give me a good recomindation.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Try this thread, it has a lot of suggestions for comedy and a few slice of life titles. I guess this thread has a few suggestions for romance.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
azzmoneky wrote:
Narutaru-----------------------Every copie should be burned

Wow, that's a strong comment. Mind if I ask why?

The most similar title to Narutaru is Elfen Lied. It has much higher ratings, however. Could it be fan service, or it's because spoiler[no one except the CEO (I forgot his name...) in Elfen Lied is really bad, while kids in Narutaru could be horribly dangerous and disgusting]? Its manga version is one of my favorites, which has spoiler[lots of blood and gore encapsulated in a suger coating].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
msi435

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:46 pm Reply with quote
azzmoneky wrote:

Saikano Epp 1&2-----------------Could Not watch past epp 2 if you have seen that show you know why.

I have seen it and I don't know why you couldn't watch past episode 2, could you enlighten me?

If you like chobits and onigai teacher, then you probably like fruits baskets. Seeing how I see I dream of Mimi on there you may like masquerade (for story), or sex friend (for hentai).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:11 am Reply with quote
wow, that's a strong comment. Mind if I ask why
(should be in quote's wont work for somereason)

Narutaru is the most disturbing things I have ever seen. I have regreted ever watching it. I wish I never watched that show.That show should never been seen by anyone ever. It also completaly change my view of anime. I have not been the same sence I saw it.

Quote:
I have seen it and I don't know why you couldn't watch past episode 2, could you enlighten me?

I watched them the day after narutaru. The show it just seemed so sad.

Also I have seen sexfriend saw it about two weeks ago I liked it.
Masquerade I checked in encyclopedia about it remines me to much of Hitsuji no Uta.

I Think I will look into Fruit basket.

More recomindations please.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:44 am Reply with quote
azzmoneky wrote:
Narutaru is the most disturbing things I have ever seen. I have regreted ever watching it. I wish I never watched that show.That show should never been seen by anyone ever. It also completaly change my view of anime. I have not been the same sence I saw it have not been happy outside anime sence.

You said a lot, yet the only word for why you don't like it is "disturbing." Rolling Eyes

According to cultnirvana, the French manga has been dropped by the licensor, and the end of English version is near. Thanks to its lame shoujo-like Chinese title (星星公主, "Starry Princess"), it escaped censorship by the Board, and I picked it up without hesitation. Very Happy

Okay, back to topic. I've noticed that you've watched most typical romantic comedies sans one: Mahoromatic. It has fan-service nature, but the story gets better in the later part of second season. For movies, Whisper of the Heart matches your requirements perfectly, and is one of the best comedy/romance/slice of life/drama combination you could find.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:34 am Reply with quote
Forgot to mention have seen moromatic first season. Did not really like it.

The reasons I did not like narutaru.I prefer not to mention. I need to forget about that show.
Sakurazukamori

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:57 am Reply with quote
azzmoneky wrote:

Ohe reasons I did not like narutaru.I prefer not to mention. I need to forget about that show.

And because you have personal reasons to hate this anime, you said "Every copie should be burned".
What an open mind we have... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Kare Kano/His & Hers Circumstances is a good show that would fit in with what you're looking for. It's got some romantic stuff, and is pretty funny at times. It's not really sad, either.
Somebody else mentioned Fruits Basket which is another good suggestion. Not so much romance, but there are some deffinate sad parts in this one.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:38 pm Reply with quote
If it's fan service titles you're looking for, you need to try Satoru Akahori-Saber MArionette, Sorcerer Hunters, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenoboshi, Mouse(a bit excessive on fan service) Master of Mosquiton, Maze, KO Beast are all projects he's been involved in. I probably don't fit the expected fanbase for fan service titles(being female & almost 45), but they tend to be funny, so I love a lot of fan service titles like those by Mr. Akahori, & Amazing Nurse Nanako, Labrynth of Flames, Those Who Hunt Elves, Steel Angel Kurumi, Magic Users Club, Jewel BEM Hunter Lime....Maybe because I don't expect anything out of fan service titles beyond a good laugh, I cut them more slack.
AKOrtega

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
you have seen many of the same ones i have and own just about all of those except for a few. I think you might like Mahoromatic both season 1&2, it has action, romance, comedy and plenty of ecchi stuff. Last Exile is also great its a totaly awsome anime but no ecchi. Ai Yori Aosh is more romance and no cool action scenes but is quite long with season on @ 24 episodes and season 2 @ 13 episodes.
dont forget to watch the Oh! My Goddess movie!
Innotech

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:14 am Reply with quote
AH! My goddess TV series- basically it takes the OVa, and stretches it out, exploring everything far more thoroughly and adding entirely new things from the manga. This is what was originally envisioned for the show. you will absolutely LOVE this.
Its only fansubbed now and just got licensed, but if you PM me I can tell you where you can watch it.

Saikano is one of my favorite shows of all time. It is very depressing, but well worth the watch. Just dont watch too much at once because for osme people it can be overwhelming.
The romantic element is very much the focus of this show and if you like serious romance in the face of adversity, look no further. Not much (if any) comedy to be had of course.

I second Steel Angel Kurumi. nice 24 episode show, but season 2 (Kurumi 2) SUCKs. dont bother with that second one. However, first season is pretty dmaned fun. Just not so much romantic as the main character the typical anime loser without a clue that a cute pink haired android is crushing on him.

Also Id like to recommend Ai Yori Aoshi which is sort of setup like Love Hina, but without a girl like Naru constantly beating up the main character (and the main character is much more mature and actually in College. Aoi is a sweetheart too) Its sort of a grown up Love Hina but with more emphasis on romantic relationships and friendships. Some episodes are mediocre, but when it is good, it is really really good.

Maburaho is a pretty funny sort of harem romantic comedy, but with less romance than silly situations. Basically this kid named Kazuki is a descendent of powerful magicians, and the three girls quite literally want his "genes". Say what you will, but the show is entertaining, and drop dead funny sometimes. The whole show is based in a school of magic. If you dontl ike Love Hina I cant say for sure if youll like this or not, but this is much more fun and interesting than Love Hina IMO.

Mahoraba- a young college student ventures into a quaint little inn looking for a place to stay. He meets Aoba Kozoe, a very cute and timid innkeeper and develops a crush on her. Little does he know she has a secret...her personality changes several times (one personality is a drunkard crazy girl another is the mind of a 6 year old) if she gets embarrassed or shocked, often with hilarious consequences. Not sure if much actual romance goes on here because I've only seen 5 eps subbed.

Kare Kano- just bought the boxset and its shipping. From what I hear reviews arem ixed, but general consensus is that its a good romantic comedy. Its by Gainax, who did MAhoromatic, but I think KareKano is a far more realistic and sensible show focusing more romantically.

Video Girl AI- What can I say...classic show. Its an older romantic comedy series (OVA) much like Chobits or Buttobi CPU (I dream of Mimi) but it came before all of them. This show is quite good and focuses on the relationship between a boy and a girl who came literally out of a videotape on his TV. Very Chobits like in that respect. I recommend checking it out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1