• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interesting ethical question here

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
AHZ wrote:
It doesn't matter if you are male or female, if you've ever had sex then you've been a sex object to somebody at one point and time.

If your partner thinks of you as a "sex object" as a result of love-making, I have to say that's a very sad relationship... call me old-fashioned, but am I the only person in the world who thinks that a balanced, loving relationship is possible out of mutual respect for both partners?

radicaledward wrote:
It is perfectly within your right to say that it offended you or made you uncomfortable, in a civil and polite matter. This is where you get into the problems with different cultures on the internet, what one person thinks is acceptable another may not, hence why you need to be civil about it.

However, as I stated just because you don't approve of something thing does not mean that you can publicly chastise them for it.

I don't know if you fully understand what it's like being an independent female in a world filled with girls constantly selling themselves as sex objects (and even MORE infuriating, men creating and selling animated female sex objects) and men buying. Maybe if you did, you could understand why I lost my temper. But I guess that's irrelevant to this topic...

And for someone as against chastising as you, you're sure doing a good job of lecturing me...

Good thing for you, it's working. Wink After a bit of reflection, I realize that a more appropriate thing to say would have been “Congratulations for writing such chauvinistic and inappropriate things about women" instead of attacking the poster's integrity.

I apologize, kamiboy, for flying off the handle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
alpinequeen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:34 pm Reply with quote
As long as we are on this ethical/fantasy/sex object thing, wouldn't a three-some with Ranma be interesting?
kamiboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
If your partner thinks of you as a "sex object" as a result of love-making, I have to say that's a very sad relationship... call me old-fashioned, but am I the only person in the world who thinks that a balanced, loving relationship is possible out of mutual respect for both partners?

A "sex buddy" relationship is a fantasy that many men entertain. But it never really happens, so that is all it really is, just a fantasy.

Cloe wrote:
I don't know if you fully understand what it's like being an independent female in a world filled with girls constantly selling themselves as sex objects (and even MORE infuriating, men creating and selling animated female sex objects) and men buying. Maybe if you did, you could understand why I lost my temper. But I guess that's irrelevant to this topic...

OK. I think I understand now, what it was that you were so angry about. Females being made into sex symbols or objects is nothing new, really. Its has always been part of human society, and I doubt it will ever go away.

Also, women are not the only gender to be treated this way. There are plenty of pretty boy models and actors doing the same, and lets not forget about binoshens and yaoi. But as I said earlier, men mostly don't mind being portrayed that way, so you don't hear much about it.

Cloe wrote:
I apologize, kamiboy, for flying off the handle.

No prob. At least your response was a lot more civilized that some of the others *cough*Stevey boy*cough* flying off their handles. It’s really not so bad being called a worm. Sure, they are not the flashiest creatures in the animal kingdom, but they do serve a purpose.

--
FDA Warning: Taking this person too seriously has proven to cause cancer in clinical trials
AHZ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
AHZ wrote:
It doesn't matter if you are male or female, if you've ever had sex then you've been a sex object to somebody at one point and time.

Okay, I will call you old-fashioned. but there's nothing wrong with that. Like I said, I respect your opinion--and I actually agree with you, to a point.

All I'm saying is that women like to drool over guys too, and not because they think the guys have a great personality and good character. A lot of women just wanna bang(yes boys and girls, I said "bang") and move on with their lives. My point is it goes both ways.
Of course men do this a lot; and women do it just as much, which I don't have a problem with.

Cloe wrote:

If a woman is comfortable with selling herself as a sex object then it shouldn't be a problem. It doesn't make them any less intelligent/capable. There just taking advantage of certain aspects of who they are. If that's what they want to do, then more power to them.

alpinequeen wrote:
As long as we are on this ethical/fantasy/sex object thing, wouldn't a three-some with Ranma be interesting?

...Sounds like you've been holding that question for a long time.

Last edited by AHZ on Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:54 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:

A "sex buddy" relationship is a fantasy that many men entertain. But it never really happens, so that is all it really is, just a fantasy.

Just because it doesn't happen to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen to anyone else.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:57 pm Reply with quote
alpinequeen wrote:

How would that work exactly? 2 guys and girl Ranma, a guy a girl and boy Ranma, or maybe just a guy a girl and a s*itload of buckets full of hot and cold water?

Whatever you meant I'm sure there is a Doujin out there giving its suggestion on how it might go down.

--
FDA Warning: Taking this person too seriously has proven to cause cancer in clinical trials

Last edited by kamiboy on Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
kamiboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Just because it doesn't happen to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Fair enough. It was my understanding that it was at best a very rare occurrence. But then again I haven't been worried about things like that since my late teens, so I could be wrong.

--
AHZ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
kamiboy wrote:

I was just gonna say the same thing. It happens quite frequently. A lot of people are interested in that kind of arrangement.

P.S. we are so friggin off topic that it's ridiculous...but it is mildly entertaining.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:05 pm Reply with quote
AHZ wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
kamiboy wrote:

I was just gonna say the same thing. It happens quite frequently. A lot of people are interested in that kind of arrangement.

P.S. we are so friggin off topic that it's ridiculous...but it is mildly entertaining.

It's a reasonable, non-flaming discussion so I don't think anyone is really going to take arms against it.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:11 pm Reply with quote
AHZ wrote:
A lot of people are interested in that kind of arrangement.

Are you seriously kidding me? For a guy as lazy as me that kind of arrangement would be like eating your cake and still have it. Maybe I should get back into the game....... ah screw it, I'm too lazy. Gotta get back to watching Hunter x Hunter. Its amazing how many similarities it has with Naruto, maybe I should make a thread discussing that.

--
AHZ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:17 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
AHZ wrote:
A lot of people are interested in that kind of arrangement.

Are you seriously kidding me? For a guy as lazy as me that kind of arrangement would be like eating your cake and still have it. Maybe I should get back into the game....... ah screw it, I'm too lazy. Gotta get back to watching Hunter x Hunter. Its amazing how many similarities it has with Naruto, maybe I should make a thread discussing that.

--

LOL...

Ah yes, anime vs. nookie: one of the most important decisions a young man has to make in his lifetime.
Mexicanime86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this it turning into quite a lil thread. I just have to say that the only reason that a lot of men get more heat is because female sex objects get pushed more in the ads that we see every day, even though there is the fair share of male objects(myself included), so this causes more protests from the ladies, but us guys, we just don't care too much, as long as our girl, or guy (trying to be fair here), isn't cheating on us with that model.

On the real topic now, if you really have a problem with the way some folks fantasize, then though luck. There isn't much you can do about it, so lets just each enjoy anime in our "special" way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
alpinequeen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm. That would be me...and Ranma...and some hot an cold water. Imagine the possibilites. And I can't wait until Jimmy Neutron grows up!

I used to have a thing for Bugs Bunny years ago, but then I found out he was a lot older than I was...and still is. Of course the incident that ended the whole thing was when I saw him wearing female rabbit clothes. But, still, he's kind'a cute, and has this forceful, yet gentle manner. Although, he was very alluring in lipstick and heels.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:10 pm Reply with quote
alpinequeen wrote:
Hmmm. That would be me...and Ranma...and some hot an cold water. Imagine the possibilites. And I can't wait until Jimmy Neutron grows up!

The scary thing is people have been saying that about The Powerpuff Girls for 7-8 years...then it happened. http://bleedman.snafu-comics.com/?strip_id=0
I'm trying to leave for class, and this topic now has made me 20 minutes late because I can't stop laughing. From the Rei Ayanami crap to the idea of a "tryst" with Ranma (HOT WATER!wait2minutesCOLD WATER!wait2minutesHOT WATER!Laughing), a read a scientific survey that stated men think about sex 150 times a day. Pure crap, I think about it only 75 times a day. Does that make me half a man? Question

Okay, okay. Back on topic, when Japanese anime starts reducing the number of scantily clad women in positions of demurity (is that a word?) and actually starts drawing young girls with kneelength skirts, you'll find the number of messageboard fantasies start going down.

Now I am REALLY late. Sad
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Just a quick comment about "political correctness." The problem with PC is when it becomes a means of squelching people, censoring opinions. Cloe wasn't doing that; she was objecting to an opinion, not demanding that it be squelched. She was engaging in dialogue, not demanding that it be shut down. And since she did so she and Kamiboy have been able to make piece and come to terms with one another.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6