• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Updating character "importance"

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Whoever added the cast members to Hyouge Mono didn't specify their importance, thereby defaulting them to "minor character" for all entries.

Is there some way I can update their importance, eg Sasuke Furuta as the primary character? Or must I lodge an error report?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
(Entry link.)

While it is a trivial thing for editors to change importance, regular Encyclopedists need to submit error reports. However, since this is a case of several potential error reports, and you have already created this thread, just list the characters and their importance, and someone should get to them shortly. (I'd do it, but I still can't access the admin server.)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Whoever added the cast members to Hyouge Mono didn't specify their importance, thereby defaulting them to "minor character" for all entries.

On the contrary, the submitter added ALL cast members as the protagonist; the result would be indistinguishable from NOT adding importance. Cool

I've moved the five historical figures to secondary characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:41 pm Reply with quote
You know, on a somewhat related note...

Highest priority are the "main" characters, and then comes the "secondary", and then everyone else. But what about long-running series and ensemble series (especially those based on video games)?

For long-running series, characters come and go, especially villains. I can see putting everyone who joins the group (like in One Piece or Bleach) as a secondary, but would you put all the major villains in there, too?

And for ensemble series, how do you know which characters get "main" and which only get "secondary"? Xenosaga (which needs to be fixed anyway) only lists Shion and KOS-MOS as main, and Jr, MOMO, and Albedo as secondary... completely ignoring Ziggy and chaos, and, really, at least Nephilim should be up there, too. I'd need to rewatch the series to separate it from the games in my mind, but at least the core party and "mysterious waif" should be secondary, right?

For Persona 4, we've got the first 4 party members listed as main, the other cast credited on the official site as secondary, and everyone else below. But assuming the anime goes the same direction as the game, the other party members really aren't any "less important" than the others. So should it be changed to have Yu alone as "main", and all the party members equal as secondary (when we get to that part in the series, at least)?
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
So should it be changed to have Yu alone as "main", and all the party members equal as secondary (when we get to that part in the series, at least)?

Probably should be, if none of the other characters are important as Yu. There was a discussion about character importance in this thread.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I thought I'd seen it come up before.

I'll wait a bit to see if the anime changes things from the game before submitting error reports, though.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
...I've moved the five historical figures to secondary characters.

Thanks. That's precisely what I would have done had I been able.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1