• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: World Copyright Watchdog Publishes Piece on Manga Piracy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
I'm baffled by the logic of some people. So, reading scans and scanlations of manga the companies and artists have no intention of releasing here or have stopped printing entirely somehow hurts their economy? They lose money because we're not buying the raw Japanese manga that we had no intention or way of buying anyway? And the international industry is hurt by us reading manga online that they, again, have no intention of bringing over or have completely stopped printing? Hokay then.

Here's how I see it: If a manga is currently running and is available here, cut that shit out. Otherwise, there should be no issue. Same with anime--seriously, look at how many shows aren't being licensed and likely never will be.

They want us to stop so badly? Maybe they should actually friggin' LICENSE STUFF FOR OFFICIAL DUBBING.

Well, you see, those aggregation sites sort of have everything tossed into one. If someone doesn't know about the industry too well, how well will they know if something is localized and something that isn't? The sites don't care, and after C&D letters, some sites stuck up their middle finger and re-uploaded them anyways.

Another tricky thing is always "well, people around the world use these sites!" When you country doesn't even license much anime/manga, then you can't even buy it. However, countries that do have them licensed use them too. How to solve this issue, then?

Also, on the issue of "just license them already!!" well, there's this thing called "money" people need to make that happen. With Tokyopop dropping out, there goes another company who could've been localizing more stuff. But since no one's buying, they have to pick a chose what to put out. I'm sure Viz etc. would LOVE to translate all the mangas they can to english, but with tight budgets and dropping sales, it's not all too possible...

Lastly, about the whole "simultaneous run" thing. Well, let's use RIN-NE for that example. Apparently it was hard for Viz to translate these things RIGHT away. I know, it's a few pages, scanlators can do it quicker, yadda yadda. But, the difference is that scanlators do these on their own time and I assume Viz did it within their work hours (they do get paid to do so...) Also, I'm not sure how well sales were for RIN-NE, but after the earthquake, the project got put on hiatus, and remains on hiatus... For whatever reason...
So, there goes the potential with that... Sounds like some issue on the Japan side from making simultaneous manga scans happen.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Glad Zac pointed out the large, profitable industries that've set themselves up around abusing copyright, profitting off of cartoonists without paying them anything. It's all gotten very corrupt in the past while.

Charred Knight wrote:
Apparently Petrified Jello has deleted his post, well I am not deleting mine.

So you fully expect the average manga to sell over 2 million copies a volume? Yes, Shueisha makes a ton of money from One Piece, but that's the best selling manga in Japan, and one of the most successful manga of all times. Shogakakun has lost massive amounts of money over the last decade. Is it efficient? Not really, but the answer isn't to pirate everything, and not pay the artist anything.

I don't understand what your even arguing against, it's not like Jackie actually pays Oda any money, hell Jackie doesn't even pay anyone who works for him, his tricked a bunch of people to do all the work for him for free. All Jackie pays for is the cost of the
servers.

Yeah, a handful of titles doing okay isn't justification for the abuse and theft of thousands of otherse that've end up being cancelled, abandoned or lost sales due to piracy.

btw- take anything TechDirt says w/an immense grain of salt. Surprised ANN linked to them rather than just leaving it at the WIPO link.
Glad the WIPO posted this, and nice comic too Smile

Last edited by Paploo on Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote
What a joke...

Did they forget that the manga industry wouldn't have gotten as far as it has if it wasn't for scanlators giving titles the light of day outside of Japan first?

Licensors picked up the titles they found had the most popularity from the number of scanlation downloads, and then as soon as the licensors get going, they all-out attack those who helped them know that the series was a winner in the first place?!

Yeah, smooth move... Sure not making me look on "official" releases in any kind of positive light.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

I deleted my post because I wasn't confident the point would be understood. Having read your post, the lack of confidence was justified.

I don't know how many people actually read the WIPO report, but if they had, there should be concerned with this passage:
Quote:
Rampant manga piracy is making it increasingly difficult for manga artists (mangaka) to earn a living from their work.

Piracy isn't making this difficult. Those who publish manga are making this difficult. When a market demands a reasonably priced, digital format, this is not a cue for publishers to create 40 websites and charge $5.99 for a copy of a single volume.

This is evident when One Piece is one of the most pirated manga on the planet yet the artist clearly makes a comfortable living and the publisher makes a comfortable return.

This is not the fault of piracy. This is the expectation of a market which demands a quality product for their money.

As for the rest of the "struggling manga" artists, a tip: quit ripping off successful formulas, design your own, and tell compelling stories.

Those attributes will sell themselves, just as they do with every other entertainment media.

Just because someone likes something doesn't mean they have to own it. It's about time publishers/distributors come to this realization and compromise.

Otherwise, we'll continue to see more WIPO articles written on piracy, which I believe are published thanks to a significant grant from those who are "suffering".
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

I deleted my post because I wasn't confident the point would be understood. Having read your post, the lack of confidence was justified.

I don't know how many people actually read the WIPO report, but if they had, there should be concerned with this passage:
Quote:
Rampant manga piracy is making it increasingly difficult for manga artists (mangaka) to earn a living from their work.

Piracy isn't making this difficult. Those who publish manga are making this difficult. When a market demands a reasonably priced, digital format, this is not a cue for publishers to create 40 websites and charge $5.99 for a copy of a single volume.

This is evident when One Piece is one of the most pirated manga on the planet yet the artist clearly makes a comfortable living and the publisher makes a comfortable return.

This is not the fault of piracy. This is the expectation of a market which demands a quality product for their money.

As for the rest of the "struggling manga" artists, a tip: quit ripping off successful formulas, design your own, and tell compelling stories.

Those attributes will sell themselves, just as they do with every other entertainment media.

Just because someone likes something doesn't mean they have to own it. It's about time publishers/distributors come to this realization and compromise.

Otherwise, we'll continue to see more WIPO articles written on piracy, which I believe are published thanks to a significant grant from those who are "suffering".

But here's the problem you take one extraordinary example (the most popular manga in the world) and claim that's all the proof you need. Yes, there are other factors, but you act like piracy isn't one, let alone a major factor.

There's a ton of quality products that never took off, PSP's games where heavily pirated, and so the device never took off in America, people talk about how awesome a particular anime series, is and when it comes to America, the series fails. You have people who flat out state that they fully expect the Japanese to support a product so they don't have to.

The publishers have compromised (anime companies are streaming a ton of anime for free, the publishers are experimenting with digital), but the people who pirate anime need to compromise as well.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Screaming a list of demands at creators, while stealing from them, doesn't exactly compell them to have faith in your economic plan.
Shouting at creators, threatening them, calling them names, telling them why you should steal their stuff, telling them why their business plans are horrible when you've never sold a drawing in your life, and complaining when they do come up with something to appease you is not a way to convince them to suit your needs.

It's a two way street- you want new business models, tell them. Just don't steal from them while you're doing it, and treat them respectfully.

Az Zac has pointed out, there are criminals making money off of all this. It is a problem, even if some of you enjoy it. You liking it doesn't justify abusing someonelses rights tho, in any way at all.

If anyone needs evidence that eliminating piracy improves sales, Ed Chavez's talks about that sutff on assorted ANNCasts. Check them out.

Last edited by Paploo on Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Instant worldwide global release of manga may be feasible, if people may be willing to pay the same prices as the Japanese: about 500 yen for each magazine issue + costs for translation and global distribution medium.

Apparently not, since... well let's just do an exercise:
In September of 2010 (easiest found spot) the #263 selling graphic novel (ie. not the "top seller", not "bottom raker", something in the middle) was "Gakuen Alice #13" (also, not a #1, not a final volume, just a random book in the series).

Gakuen Alice v. 13, list price in Japan = 420Yen
With Absolutely HORRID exchange rate (worst I've seen in a while) that equals $5.60 (even the hypothetical 500yen=$6.60, so reasonable figure).

Gakuen Alice v.13 = about 200 pgs.
Assume paid $2.50/page (I think that's reasonable for manga that is not very wordy, according to PayScale.com AVERAGE hourly rate for a translator is about $20/hr, at $2.50/page you're making $500/volume, if $20/hr that's 25 hrs. It should NOT take a professional translator more than 2/3rds of a work week to translate a typical manga volume) Assume another $1-2/page for page editing.

Gakuen Alice v.13 sold about 500 vols (presumably in Sept. 2010, but let's just say it never sold another after that). $500 (translation) + $400 (for editing) = $900. $900/500 vols = $1.80

Initial price ($5.60) + "Americanization" ($1.80) = $7.40

Most US manga retails for around $10, are you saying a US "supply chain" = $2.50/book? Debatably someone is skimming the top here, when you consider that Kodansha recently decided to cut out the middle man and sell directly to the US. I'd also point out that the above example uses the RETAIL price for the starting point of the Japanese volume. The J volume already factors in printing and delivery, so altho the initial phase might need some ramp up, after a year that cost should have zero impact. Getting manga in the US should be cheaper than it is and timing SHOULD be a snap if the Japanese companies WANT to sell to both countries directly.
zac wrote:
You mean except the people who run giant scanlation aggregator sites and profit very nicely from the advertising they sell.

I am honestly disgusted with how "mercenary" anime "fandom" has become. The reason I personally always talk about "anime fandom" in quotes is because I really wonder how many people in this hobby love the material, and how many are either cashing in on the fad or being part of the fad.

To the original article, while I agree that piracy is a factor, I think it must at least be CONSIDERED that bookstores are shutting down left and right and "manga" is not their CORE product (it is definitely A product of interest, but I can't believe manga alone determines the success or failure of the bottom line).
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
But here's the problem you take one extraordinary example (the most popular manga in the world) and claim that's all the proof you need. Yes, there are other factors, but you act like piracy isn't one, let alone a major factor.

This is one of the reasons I hate these damn discussions. I am not advocating for or against piracy, nor am I using a popular title to make proof.

But if this is where you want to go, fine. Here's proof: If you believe my example is to form a foundation of "proof" for one side, then explain to us why this WIPO report only focuses on those who are not popular.

This is a rhetorical request, because I know you can't do it. No one can, even the experts, because it's impossible to measure the impact piracy has on the market.

Sales are down. If piracy is so bad, then why are there any sales at all.

Please, for the love of common sense, don't you dare tell me this is because the only people left buying are those who "want to support the artist". That's a poor excuse and a cop-out in these discussions. It's not true.

People buy what they like. They don't buy what they dislike, if they can avoid it.

Guess what the publishing industry wants people to do.

@Paploo:
[Personal attacks against other users are not allowed - Keonyn]
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:36 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

People buy what they like. They don't buy what they dislike, if they can avoid it.

Not always. Out of all my fans (many who love manga/anime), only ONE other person, besides me, actually BUYS any of it. They just read it online at work or whatever, and that's that. They love it, but since they just read it online, they don't want to buy it. Money not spent, since it was free.

This is the current trend nowadays.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
BassKuroi wrote:
The world is changing, this kind of discourse can't and won't be taken seriously anymore. Copyright, as we knew it (and this kind of institutions try to enforce) are under question.
Sharing is not pirating. Amateur translation is not pirating. Pirating is going on a boat and rob, steal and kill, as the primitive accumulation of capital was taken care of.

I whole heartily agree, mangaka are selfish for wanting to eat food, they can easily scrounge up food by sifting through their neighbors garbage. Why should I help these people?

Oh wait no, you're not actually putting out solutions your just saying that you shouldn't have to pay for manga.

I just changed my mind because of your clever and ironic discourse!. Oh, wait, no, I don't.

First of all, You are very naive if you think that the ultimate purpose of those watchdogs is the artist's rights defence. I hope mangaka should have better work and living conditions than they're currently having, courtesy by the corporations that exploit them.

Second, It's true, maybe I'm not putting solutions, but I neither saying I shouldn't have to pay for manga. I'm saying that:

a) the copyright concept is changing

b) demonizing scanlations groups who didn't make any profit it's not a a solution either, it's a witch hunt with no real purpose.

Charred Knight wrote:
You try to justify yourself by making claims like "living in a new age" where such things as paying for entertainment is obsolete. The major piracy websites would go bankrupt within months if they where forced to pay for royalties.

You know nothing about me, and worst, putting words that I don't say in my mouth. I buy my manga when it's available, I watch movies in theaters and buy DVDs, so please, shut up.

Zac wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:

The difference is that libraries pay for their e-collections, thus giving the publishers and authors revenue. Scanslations monetarily benefit no one.

You mean except the people who run giant scanlation aggregator sites and profit very nicely from the advertising they sell.

I don't know anything about those sites. The only annoying advertising-loaded I knew is ANN.

TheAncientOne wrote:
Sharing is when you give someone else access to something you own.

Hypotetical case: I own a PC, a scanner and a magazine (which I must destroy in order to scan it properly). I have a blog and and a connection to internet, and I pay for it. Where's the "not sharing" here?

TheAncientOne wrote:
It is called "copyright" for a reason; the entity that holds it controls the right to create copies. If the "sharer" as you might call them was never granted the right to make a copy of a manga they may indeed own, they cannot share that copy as they had no ownership rights to that copy.

That's the point: that concept is just the one which is being under question.

TheAncientOne wrote:
You can call it "sharing" as much as you want, but it will not change the fact that it is illegal, whereas true sharing is not.

As I said before, there's no "true" or "untrue" sharing, and when countries as USA and Japan have barbaric customs as death penalty as legal, I have the right to claim that some unharmful action as sharing files should not.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Well, naturally except for them. Razz
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote
BassKuroi wrote:

I don't know anything about those sites. The only annoying advertising-loaded I knew is ANN.

durp

Quote:

Hypotetical case: I own a PC, a scanner and a magazine (which I must destroy in order to scan it properly). I have a blog and and a connection to internet, and I pay for it. Where's the "not sharing" here?

The content in the magazine does not belong to you and it's against the law for you to give that content away for free online. Loaning the magazine to a friend is not the same as uploading it to a place where millions of people can then get it for free.

"I gave it to a friend" again is not the same as "I gave it to literally anyone who could enter the title of the magazine in a search engine". You don't seem to understand that it's the scale that's the issue, not the simple act of "sharing" itself.

But I'm sick and tired of having stupid circular arguments with people who are just trying to find moral or ethical justification for not paying the artists and corporations who produce entertainment product. "LET'S RIP DOWN THE BUSINESS INFRASTRUCTURE OF THE ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY BECAUSE WE CAN!" is getting so old and depressing, especially when it turns into "LET'S COMPROMISE EVERY POSSIBLE VENUE FOR REVENUE AN ARTIST HAS!" as time goes on. "Technological progress" seems to be defined by so many as simply figuring out ways to further reduce someone's ability to make a living on entertainment product they've created.

I wonder how many anti-copyright crusaders we'd have if it were the IT industry being dismantled bit by bit. If you could somehow pirate the work that middle-class IT workers do, I bet this would be an entirely different story.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Not always. Out of all my fans (many who love manga/anime), only ONE other person, besides me, actually BUYS any of it.

That's a misinterpretation of petrifiedJello's point, imo, there are "consumers" and there are "fans" (and it always causes a stink when I say it that way because OMG anyone who ever watched any anime EVAR is SOME kind of anime fan, amirite?!?). That's the difference between people that watched "Seinfeld" on TV and people that bought the DVDs. The "fans" are so attached to the show that they want to own it (so to speak), "consumers" just want to watch the show and enjoy it and don't care a week later whether or not they can revisit it on their time. COMPANIES want to equate the two, because there are MANY more "consumers" than there are "fans".

PJ's point is that manga "fans" may like a given title and not like another title so they buy the one they like. Whether or not they CONSUME both is not directly relevant. (I concede that it isn't IRRELEVANT, but you can't equate "consumption" with "would buy"/"fannishness") A relevant example is recent sports networks. There are people that will watch games if they're available for "free" on broadcast, that will not buy cable to watch the game, even moreso if going from "cable" to "premium channel". That's the difference between "like" and "buy". I might dislike the Yankees but still watch them on TV, but no way would I PAY extra to watch a team I dislike.

edit: combined posts
zac wrote:
I wonder how many anti-copyright crusaders we'd have if it were the IT industry being dismantled bit by bit. If you could somehow pirate the work that middle-class IT workers do, I bet this would be an entirely different story.

Right, because software piracy is blissfully non-existent. Rolling Eyes
IT jobs persist because managers think you need to re-invent the wheel each month to fit whatever scheme they are interested in this week. IT work is like 10% dev and 90% maintenance (and 95% of statistics are made up on the spot Razz )

While I support artists right to make a living on their work, I do have serious questions about copyright. Notably, why do patents last 20 yrs but copyrights last over 70? (life of artist + 70yrs)

Last edited by HeeroTX on Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Instant worldwide global release of manga may be feasible, if people may be willing to pay the same prices as the Japanese: about 500 yen for each magazine issue + costs for translation and global distribution medium.

Apparently not, since... well let's just do an exercise:
In September of 2010 (easiest found spot) the #263 selling graphic novel (ie. not the "top seller", not "bottom raker", something in the middle) was "Gakuen Alice #13" (also, not a #1, not a final volume, just a random book in the series).

You make very good points, but I was talking about the phonebook-size anthology magazines day/date, not the tankoubons. (And yes, there needs to be multiple translators working simultaneously, but hey, if consumers are willing to put money where their mouth is......... And it has to be sold in a bundle, so that the same way in the magazine that popular titles help subsidize the costs of the less popular titles.)
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
You make very good points, but I was talking about the phonebook-size anthology magazines

Ahh... well, just based on anecdotal evidence, those things don't work because most Americans (who still read comics/books) don't usually want to "pay" for what they don't like (to crib a bit from PetrifiedJello's point). I honestly think this would be great for the US comics companies (Marvel & DC) but I've seen too many comics readers complain about even "bonus feature" comics taking space in their "Batman" issue or something. I think this MIGHT have a chance in digital where you don't need to pay printing for the extra pages.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7