• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A long time ago...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squall2600

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
when dragonball came out on cartoon network a while back and whatever happened to the original dub they made in 1995
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember the exact details but basically FUNimation switched dubbing companies when they decided to finally finish off the series. I guess there was also a schedule issue because right when they aired the ep. where Goku fought Burta and Jiece there were a bunch of voices we never heard from again. I guess they were stand-ins to meet the schedule until they casted the permanent voices we hear today. Anyway basically it was a company change. Someone else on here can probably explain it better, personally I liked the old dub.
Golgo13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Old dub was under the rights of FUNimation and Pioneer back when Fox owned it. However, the show was eventually cancelled after the ratings slipped.

Then, Cartoon Network started acquired reruns of the first 50 or so episodes that were on Fox and aired them late at night. Eventually, Cartoon Network showed interest and FUNi decided to finish dubbing the rest of the episodes since Pioneer's main role was only to distribute video sales and FUNi had made enough money to start their own video sales.

If you are talking about the original Dragonball, the first thirteen were dubbed by Kid Soft.
Delfino

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote
On a somewhat side note, would anyone have a suggestion on a store/website that has a complete listing of the box sets for DBZ? I've checked around using google but haven't had much luck with finding a complete listing for region 1 DVDs. Also, when is funimation planning on redubbing the first 50 or so episodes?
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Search http://www.animatedbliss.com/. They list all the cartoons and links to where to buy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1