• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime on UMD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Anime on UMD. Dose anyone think that anime will be distributed UMD. I read in an artical that the PSP will come with Spiderman 2. Dose anyone think that anime will eventualy find its way onto UMD format.
Nionel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say it's impossible, but I'd say it will depend on the success of the PSP, and whether or not any of the anime companies want to take the risk of releasing any of their titles in the UMD format
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I highly doubt it. They wouldn't be able to sell enough copies in UMD to make it worth putting anything out on. On top of that, there's already going to be the format wars over Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. I don't see anime companies throwing their hats behind any other formats until it seems like a good monetary move. (in other words, when a format wins)
Zenitram

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I think they might and it makes perfect sense. There going to put full length movies on UMD for the PSP (like FF: Advent Children, UMD and DVD) so why not anime. A lot of gamers are anime fans and vice versa. Maybe not whole series but anime movies at least.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
I highly doubt it. They wouldn't be able to sell enough copies in UMD to make it worth putting anything out on.

Not true, just looke at the GBA Player or Video Now and the like. UMD certainly wouldn't be the format of choice, but for kiddie anime like Pokemon or Yugioh a UMD would be a good alternative for viewing on the go.

Zenitram wrote:
There going to put full length movies on UMD for the PSP (like FF: Advent Children, UMD and DVD) so why not anime.

Technically speaking, FF:AC is anime so that kinda answers the question right there.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:10 pm Reply with quote
At the risk of sounding dumb...

What is UMD?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zenitram

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Zenitram wrote:
There going to put full length movies on UMD for the PSP (like FF: Advent Children, UMD and DVD) so why not anime.

Technically speaking, FF:AC is anime so that kinda answers the question right there.

Emerje[/quote]

Screw technically, but you know what I mean. : P
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At the risk of sounding dumb...

What is UMD?

slickwataris UMD is universal media disk it is what PSP games are being put on it looks like a gamecube disk in a little U shaped case's.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I recall seeing "Cowboy Bebop: The Movie" cover among various PSP and Columbia/Tri Star movies UMD covers.
OTP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote
They're already releasing anime on UMD. The original Mobile Suit Gundam is supposed to be released on UMD. That's the only one I know of, besides, of course, Advent Children.

Kazuki-san wrote:
They wouldn't be able to sell enough copies in UMD to make it worth putting anything out on.

Well, they're already starting, but you may be right. The PSP has ripping capabilities, so it's really not worth it.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:48 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Kazuki-san wrote:
I highly doubt it. They wouldn't be able to sell enough copies in UMD to make it worth putting anything out on.

Not true, just looke at the GBA Player or Video Now and the like. UMD certainly wouldn't be the format of choice, but for kiddie anime like Pokemon or Yugioh a UMD would be a good alternative for viewing on the go.

Indeed, but UMD is limited to 1.8 GB, so there will be space issues, depending on the pricing per disc. (Video Now is limited to 25 min per disc BTW) I'm sure it will happen quite a bit in Japan, I just don't see it happening here is what I mean (at least very widely). Even if the PSP becomes the most popular system in the US, I don't see them selling enough copies to justify both DVD and UMD releases. And the fact that UMD is PSP specific, well.. that would at least turn me off from buying anime released in that format.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Darn and here I was thinking this was going to be a thread about my college the University of Minnesota-Duluth, in which case I would comment that yes they have an anime club there. Laughing
ricbrist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
First there would be enough space on a umd for anime because of compression and lower resolution. You can take dvds and watch them on your psp by putting it on a memory stick duo. the only downside to that is you need a pretty big memory stick if you want good quality.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:37 pm Reply with quote
ricbrist wrote:
First there would be enough space on a umd for anime because of compression and lower resolution.

Exactly, higher compression ratio and lower quality. So, we have less quality to fit a decent amount of eps on disc + format native only to PSP. Now why would I want to spend money on that, instead of buying a higher quality DVD that can be used with a multitude of systems?
deathbringer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm certain this will fail. Why would people buy a series on UMD that can only be used on a PSP to watch the show on a tiny screen when they can buy the actually DVDs and watch it on TV at home? Plus the PSP's short battery life makes it pretty much unplayable unless you have it plugged into the wall to charge, and if you're near a plug, chances are you're near a DVD player.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2