• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Summer Kamp

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

One-Eye wrote:
Quote:
and somehow almost all of the girls are total lesbians, and they actually use the word “lesbian” and are totally aggressive.

So? Is there something wrong with the word lesbian? Or that they are aggressive lesbians as opposed to having sweetness and flowers and sparkles all the time? Maybe, its part of the joke? Yea, its kinda of a tired one in anime, but its par for the course.

It seems like I've seen other shows where they never use the word "lesbian" and instead say things like "She's that way" or "likes girls" without putting the actual label on a character. I can't recall characters using the word lesbian in Kasimasi a couple weeks ago, but I could be wrong.

Ah, I probably misunderstood your sentence then. It seemed like you were being negative. I guess you were more "surprised" to see the use of the word lesbian. I think you are right, "she's that way" or "likes girls" is used more often than lesbian. I think it was used in Maria Holic and the main character Kanako said she preferred "yuri" to "lesbian". I think it might have also been used in Sasame Kikoto in regards to Kazama, but it also could be the manga versions blending with anime versions in my memory.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:
My biggest gripe though is that the rest of the series has yet to be animated. Although there is more than enough conclusion in what was produced, the fact that there are at least 3 unadapted novels makes me a sad panda.

I felt the same way until I read an online translation of the last novel. It ends with less conclusion than the anime. Having now read it, I'm glad they wrapped up the anime where they did.

It would be fantastic if Fuyumi Ono decided to give the series a proper ending with another novel and wrap up at least most of the loose ends she left hanging, but after so long I suppose it's not very likely. Not impossible, I guess, but I'm not holding my breath.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
configspace wrote:
Quote:
Kämpfer is surprisingly close to being softcore hentai compared to the average ero-comedy.

I'm not sure why some people are so quick to label something as softcore. Just because some of the girls like Shizuku are aggressive in trying to (playfully) seduce Natsuru does not mean ZOMG-borderline-hentai

That comment made me raise an eyebrow too. Hey, I felt a rental shelf rating was more than fair, but to say it's close to softcore levels? I guess if you think any title that has fanservice is close to softcore, then I can see where you're coming from, but I don't really recally Kampfer having nudity scenes. ...there better be some naked boobs being shown, and not in the "covered up, just about shown, but not quite"

I seem to remember nipples being shown, which doesn't usually happen in comedy, even if there's a hot springs episode. I tried to look up a more comprehensive objective definition of "softcore" but haven't found one that seems reasonable to refer to for television. I also hesitate to screencap every moment that I'd qualify as "almost softcore," (which is all that I said), because it would be a waste of time, I'd feel like a pervert (more so), and besides, I already sent the disc back to the rental company.

Sailor S wrote:
Oh, and Erin, what do you think of the Sam Adams Harvest Ale? That's the first and only pumpkin beer I've tried, and I quite enjoyed it, so I was wondering how you felt it stacked up against others.

It was OK, but I like other craft brews more. My husband swears by Pumking, but it's too sweet for me.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

I seem to remember nipples being shown, which doesn't usually happen in comedy, even if there's a hot springs episode. I tried to look up a more comprehensive objective definition of "softcore" but haven't found one that seems reasonable to refer to for television. I also hesitate to screencap every moment that I'd qualify as "almost softcore," (which is all that I said), because it would be a waste of time, I'd feel like a pervert (more so), and besides, I already sent the disc back to the rental company.

You could very well be right. As I said, I haven't seen it in some time, and the version I did see was a broadcast version. I just don't recall there being any lightbeams or anything. I have the DVDs on my shelf, so whenever I get caught up with my pile, I'll be able to tell (and with 300 or so DVDs on that pile, I'll have forgotten all about this in the 2 or 3 years it takes to get there)
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
That's why the final scene of episode 39, which represents the climax of both the third arc and the entire series to that point, is widely-regarded as one of the all-time-great anime scenes.

And this is exactly why I wished Studio Pierrot had ended production of the anime. Right. There. ::sigh::
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
I also hesitate to screencap every moment that I'd qualify as "almost softcore," (which is all that I said), because it would be a waste of time, I'd feel like a pervert (more so),

We're all perverts here, one way or another. No use pretending. Laughing
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:50 am Reply with quote
All right, I had the impression that the uncomfortability in Kampfer came from how nearly all of the women are lesbians. Well, I haven't seen it, but that was what I thought reading the review.

A situation like that, without any explanation for it, would need a major suspension of disbelief, at least for me, since what's supposed to be a minority is suddenly so prevalent it's assumed in a person unless pointed out otherwise. It'd be like if everyone was inexplicably left-handed (I am left-handed, but I'd feel uncomfortable the same way), like in The Muppets.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:28 am Reply with quote
As someone who can attest to the greatness of Twelve Kingdoms, I have to admit the show had more charm in Japanese than in English. Now don't get me wrong, as I have nothing against Yoko's dub voice (someone who voiced the awesome Maria in Star Ocean 3 can never be terrible in my book), but it's just in Japanese some of the commentary flowed better (funny since the world of TK is based on Chinese mythology, so the language construction of that world would make 100% sense in Chinese). Plus the dub is full of recognizable voices in the biz, so I'm in no way telling anyone to ignore it.

Also, the show is a true work of art. I really love the character designs and scenery. The original box art by Akihiro Yamada is an additional treat for the eyes.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
All right, I had the impression that the uncomfortability in Kampfer came from how nearly all of the women are lesbians. Well, I haven't seen it, but that was what I thought reading the review.

A situation like that, without any explanation for it, would need a major suspension of disbelief, at least for me, since what's supposed to be a minority is suddenly so prevalent it's assumed in a person unless pointed out otherwise. It'd be like if everyone was inexplicably left-handed (I am left-handed, but I'd feel uncomfortable the same way), like in The Muppets.

Just to double check; you're uncomfortable, right? Did my review make it seem like I was weirded out that most of the characters were lesbians? Because that didn't bother me.

Kampfer is such an exaggerated comedy that I took it they were playing up the stereotype that lesbians go to all-girl schools, which comes up in several other titles. Because everything is over-the-top in Kampfer, almost every single girl in the girls' school is a lesbian and they're blatant about saying so.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Did my review make it seem like I was weirded out that most of the characters were lesbians? Because that didn't bother me.

A little bit or the representation of lesbians since you reference your previous review of Maria Holic that turned you off.

Quote:
Kampfer is such an exaggerated comedy that I took it they were playing up the stereotype that lesbians go to all-girl schools, which comes up in several other titles. Because everything is over-the-top in Kampfer, almost every single girl in the girls' school is a lesbian and they're blatant about saying so.

Hmmm...been awhile since I've seen Kampfer but I recall that all the Kampfer fighting girls were straight and were more interested in Natsuru the boy. But it has been awhile so I may not be remembering correctly. Just a question did they use the word lesbian in Japanese or only in the subtitles? Was the strong proclamations of lesbianism that you allude to the work of the translator?

This is making me wanna go back and view Kampfer again. Laughing
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the dub Twelve Kingdoms--yes, while the voice acting is awkward--understandable given the complexity of the script and the need to remain exacting in detail--I actually preferred the dub SCRIPT over the sub script. The sub actually has some pretty egregious errors--I'm not talking about typos, but actual errors in facts, like attributing the wrong people to the wrong titles, getting names and terminology mixed up, etc,. The dub script doesn't have these errors.

My favourite character in 12 Kingdoms was the snobby girl whose family gets killed. Smile
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I hope to have more "adult entertainment" come to my TV/PC screen more often. I love stuff that makes me feel my age from time to time. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
A little bit or the representation of lesbians since you reference your previous review of Maria Holic that turned you off.

That's because Maria Holic was awful, and even downright offensive - moreso as manga than in the anime.

I am pro-lesbian and pro-yuri, but I'm in favor of more realistic portrayals like in Aoi Hana rather than erotic comedy stereotypes from fantasy land (like Ora-boku, whatever that was called).
One-Eye wrote:
Just a question did they use the word lesbian in Japanese or only in the subtitles? Was the strong proclamations of lesbianism that you allude to the work of the translator?

I can't remember, I think they were saying "lesbian". I know there are other Japanese terms, but Japanese people tend to use the English terms.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Just to double check; you're uncomfortable, right? Did my review make it seem like I was weirded out that most of the characters were lesbians? Because that didn't bother me.

If there was no explanation for it, I'd be uncomfortable. I didn't know such a stereotype existed that lesbians would go to all-girl schools, or at least that there'd be a concentration of them there. I do not mind homosexuality at all; it'd just be a weird quirk that would bug me because there'd be no reason for it aside from "girl on girl is hot."

So it seems Kampfer requires me to understand that this public image exists at all for me to not be bugged out watching it. I don't know if that image is a Japanese thing or an international thing, but I certainly didn't know about it until now, as I've gone to public schools since the 1st grade.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
If there was no explanation for it, I'd be uncomfortable. I didn't know such a stereotype existed that lesbians would go to all-girl schools, or at least that there'd be a concentration of them there. ...
So it seems Kampfer requires me to understand that this public image exists at all for me to not be bugged out watching it.

No, it's not a public thing at all. It's an otaku anime thing.

In Maria Holic, a lesbian attends an all-girl school because she's both "girl crazy" and allergic to boys. In Sasameki Koto, I think there was also a girl-crazy girl choosing to attend an all-girl school to meet girls. In Maria-sama everyone has pseudo-lesbian relationships as part of school policy.

Since I've seen the "lesbian attending an all girl school to hopefully meet other lesbians" in at least a couple shows, and then parodied in Maria Holic, and then the parody of a parody in Kampher, I assume it's become an otaku database entry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4