• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: NY Mag: Warner Offers Brad Pitt All You Need is Kill Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:23 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I don't get why Hollywood still has an aversion to Asian/Asian-American actors as leads, even though Hangover 2, Harold and Kumar, and Fast 5 have been hits.

I don't understand any of these other than H&K as examples of Asians as leads.

The Hangover is headlined by three white guys so I'm not sure how that's an example of Asian leads in Hollywood films.

The Fast and Furious ... where to start? There are 2 standard roles for Asians in the series, none of which are lead roles:
1) sluts in the background
2) kung-fu motorcycle yakuza import tuner (way to avoid stereotypes)
The only time they had Asians in roles you could spin as leads was in Tokyo Drift, the most financially unsuccessful entry in the series that grossed less than 1/2 of what any other entry did.

Harold and Kumar did well for the type of movie it was: a low budget comedy that didn't have high hopes of tearing up the box office to begin with.

As far as why Hollywood doesn't search for Asian leads? Money. It's a tough sell to many unless it's a kung-fu movie. If the lead is Asian, many people will think it's a movie aimed at Asian people and will write it off immediately. For those that aren't turned off by that, I think 1/3 will assume it's a kung-fu film and be turned off. Another 1/3 will assume it's a kung-fu film and be turned off when thy find out it isn't. All of these things do nothing but reduce the potential box office pull, which is a major negative. I wouldn't expect an Asian lead in a big budget Hollywood movie unless it's like written, directed, and partially produced by Asian people trying to prove a point that an Asian lead can carry a movie of such a budget without it being a ninja/kung-fu/import tuner based flick.
jtstellar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
[quote="GATSU"]enurtsol:
Quote:
I don't get why Hollywood still has an aversion to Asian/Asian-American actors as leads, even though Hangover 2, Harold and Kumar, and Fast 5 have been hits.

Just like black nba players who express displeasure when overly short players join them, yes if you pay attention to gossip and on court body language, the rare under-6 feet players despite their exceptional abilities to be able to get on the professional basketball court are still being looked down at. even other substitute point guards on the same team display condescending body languages. it's not racism or whatever-ism.. it's simply social interaction.. you don't like people breaking your myth or bias.. you don't want to understand what you don't know. you don't want to work with people whom you can't naturally assimilate within social circles. you don't want to hire people you can't get along with. that's just how people act. given two actors with equal acting abilities, one that provides better social-interaction values, namely he pleases you or looks more easy on the eyes and could become your friend more easily and all that appeases to primitive human 'likes' not on an intellectual level, naturally has an edge at the work place. alternatively you can have an asian actor just so far more superior in acting skills that it simply doesn't make financial sense not to hire them. but is that the case? i don't see white bosses in the field of electronics having trouble hiring asians, for example.

i don't care if you want to advocate for something, but at least describe the perceptions right. every displeased race-based activist seems to somehow think this has to do with some narrowly defined racism when social exclusions to new comers have been a daily routine throughout human history.. this case is not an economic exclusion.. it is simply social exclusion to people that leads to economic exclusion.. people didn't start with 'oh i want to cut him off from his job', no. but vice versa, why would you want to get along with people who subconsciously exclude you from their social circles? well, you don't. that's why you don't see too much approach in the hollywood actor talk by asians either that aims to solve this issue by breaking the ice and solving it on a social level. all the talk is about money and getting the job and the financial aspect of it, and use the financial aspect to somehow reversely justify social respect.. even those 50 60 year old asian actors are approaching it the same way. if you at least describe the psychologies right, you will be more likely to succeed than what you're doing now. tired of hearing people sum up the whole complexity of human action into one term--racism. if you really want to oversimplify, this issue has more to do with that dude with the unfamiliar face i don't know how to talk to, let alone hiring, rather than 'oh he's from china i hate that country'
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
i don't care if you want to advocate for something, but at least describe the perceptions right.

I would love to read what the right perceptions, Mr. NBA Players don't like playing with shorter players because the shorties aren't pleasant to interact socially with. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2