• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
miyazaki fans...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:52 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Ooooh...very nice. Thanks for the link. I can't wait to get Nausicaa and will probably rent Porco Rosso too. I didn't realize The Cat Returns is the third release - I thought it was supposed to be Totoro. I wonder how it will go over considering that from what I understand you should watch Whispers of the Heart first - and that's tied up in legal red tape.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:21 pm Reply with quote
You are very welcome Kelly. I plan on getting all three of the movies because I love all his movies.

And yeah, Totoro has been put on the backburner. However you can still buy the full screen version at several places. I got mine for 5.50 at wal-mart. It was great.

Looking forward to this...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
from what I understand you should watch Whispers of the Heart first [before The Cat Returns ]

No, you don't have to.

Two minor non-human characters from Whisper Of The Heart get their own spinoff movie which is The Cat Returns.

Plot-wise, there's absolutely no continuation from one to the other, and the small amount of background info from the first movie is not necessary at all to understand or enjoy the second movie.

Actually, I feel that the second movie is made for a younger audience than the first movie (it's simpler, although the heroine is probably a year or two older), so it actually might make sense to watch the second movie first...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:38 am Reply with quote
Interesting, I've seen Princess Mononoke, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, and Spirited Away. I wouldn't be opposed to more Mihazaki titles. The former I enjoyed much more than the latter two though. All good films but Mononoke is the best one I've seen.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:51 am Reply with quote
Oh man. PRETTY.

I'm most looking forward to The Cat Returns. Funnily enough, it grabs me because it's so ... un-Miyazaki-ish. It has a totally unique feel and pacing and then you realize after looking at the credits that it's because Miyazaki didn't direct it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1