• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Paquin, Molina & Stewart Voice STEAMBOY

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:47 am Reply with quote
From ComingSoon.net

Quote:
Anna Paquin ("X-Men" series, Darkness), Alfred Molina (Spider-Man 2), and Patrick Stewart ("X-Men" and "Star Trek" series) will voice the North American dubbed version of director Katsuhiro Ôtomo's Steamboy, which Sony's Screen Gems will release in limited theaters on March 18th.

A retro science-fiction epic set in Victorian England, Steamboy features an inventor prodigy named Ra Stim who receives a mysterious metal ball containing a new form of energy capable of powering an entire nation. This young boy must use it to fight evil, redeem his family, and save London from destruction.

The film was made with more than 180,000 drawings and 400 CG cuts.

Oh, so it will be a limited release after all? I saw some websites that said it would be "wide", which I initially thought was unlikely but my doubts were somewhat diminished after I saw that Sony used the Tristar banner in the trailer instead of Sony Classics, but I guess what I saw early on was inaccurate or Sony got cold feet about giving a niche film a wider release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
toru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:54 pm Reply with quote
dubbed format is 106 minutes. it's shorter than original for 20 minutes.
if Steamboy is limited release, why Sony cuts it?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:11 pm Reply with quote
That's almost certainly a mistake. Sony doesn't edit anime films...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
toru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:01 pm Reply with quote
official steamboy blog reports on August 30,
"106 minutes dubbed format for North America is edited now. I saw it, it's boldly cut by Otomo's own supervision. About 20 minutes was cut by the negotiation with the distributing agency in the US.
i was surprised new 3 cuts made for dubbed format. when made it?"
http://steamboy.cocolog-nifty.com/steamboy/2004/08/index.html
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm extremely skeptical about that, even if it's a Japanese site.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1