• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which Format?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, which will you choose in a few years?
I am supporting blu-ray because the disks can hold much more content and because it will have the Sony library of movies.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Whichever one wins the format wars, but I ain't buying a new format for a long time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
There's no real point in "supporting" one format over the other untl there are a great deal of titles of either one available and players. Even then, eventually one will win out over the other, so it makes little sense to go spend money on a player that may just end up sitting there. I'll let the companies duke it out, and see which format takes hold before I do anything. I have a suscpicion that Blu-ray may win out though.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Whichever one wins the format wars, but I ain't buying a new format for a long time.

Indeed, and while that "war" is going on companies will continue to release their standard DVD versions as well so it's not as if we have to choose.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:31 pm Reply with quote
It seems clear to me that blue-ray will eventually become the format of choice, it is the logical extension of laser technology just as DVD is an extension of the original CD technology. Regardless, I am not itching to run out and buy a blue-ray player. I don't plan on buying either type of machine for a long, long time. Smile
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I think blue-ray will win since sony is backing that tech and has mentioned they would like to have it be in the ps3.

But I think this will be like the whole dvd +- thing and eventaly they will just make players and burners that can do both.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
kamiboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Having studied the specs in detail I can say with certainty that Blu-Ray is clearly the superior choice and has most of the great Japanese and foreign companies supporting it. Not to mention that PS3 will ship with a Blu-Ray drive built in so it is guaranteed to end up in a couple of million homes across the world pretty quickly. So it should be a no brainer to call this one, however as it has been shown in the past other factors may play a crucial part.

I at least hope that HD-DVD will die a horrible, horrible, horrible and quick death causing the companies behind it so much financial loss that if they do not go bankrupt then at least prevent such silly format wars from ever happening again in the history of mankind. Because if you look at it the only ones seriously hurt by such a war are the consumers who supported the loser, not to mention that it is a huge waste of resources and time in general.

Seriously, I cannot for the life of me figure out why Toshiba & NEC would be stupid enough to try and replace the still quite young DVD format with INFERIOR technology. If you are going to make people upgrade their AV systems every 5 years like the PC industry then at least give us something worth replacing it with for gods sake! So why? Because it uses current DVD technology so it is cheaper for the manufacturers? Puuhlease! They will make all the money used to change their equipments back again once the format has caught on, and they know it.

Personally if it was up to me I'd say wait with a successor to the DVD for another 5-10 years until the technology has matured enough to fit at least 3-6 hours of high definition (1080P) video and multichannel sound compressed with a lossless compression algorithm on one DVD sized disc.

That, and nothing less would be worthy of being called a high definition successor to the DVD format. But alas I am just a powerless quality-demanding consumer.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:39 pm Reply with quote
it doesn't matter to me; I hardly even know what the difference between the 2 is (except that blue-laser can hold more stuff, right?)

and considering that I didn't even bother getting a DVD player until about 2 years ago, I don't think I'll have to worry about choosing between a format Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
With a high definition TV and a progressive scan dvd player, I don't know how much quality is needed. Will your eyes see the difference?

Most DVD movies are fine the way they are. So buying T2 again on HD-DVD or Blue ray is useless.

The only thing I like about Blue ray is the suppose big 25GB disc. So each disc is about a decent size hard drive...and I figure the disc will be expensive as hell.

The PS2 help push the dvd format back when it was release. One of my teacher use a PS2 as a dvd player, even though he didn't play games. I guess the PS2 was the "it" thing and he needed a dvd player. Anyways, that brings me to the PS3. It's said that sony wants to use the Blu-ray, so it defnitely gives Blu-ray the edge. The only problem I see is the limited use of the disc. Most PS2 games are not over 4 gig. Most are around 2 to 3 gig with heavy CG and stuff.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:35 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
The only problem I see is the limited use of the disc. Most PS2 games are not over 4 gig. Most are around 2 to 3 gig with heavy CG and stuff.

A lot of the space deal has to do with the comparatively limited specs of the PS2. With upgraded graphics and better overall system specs, the PS3 will be able to use much higher quality graphics and CG, which will naturally take up more space.

One merely has to look at the screenshots that EA says next-gen game systems (read PS3) will be able to produce.

darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
The only problem I see is the limited use of the disc. Most PS2 games are not over 4 gig. Most are around 2 to 3 gig with heavy CG and stuff.

A lot of the space deal has to do with the comparatively limited specs of the PS2. With upgraded graphics and better overall system specs, the PS3 will be able to use much higher quality graphics and CG, which will naturally take up more space.

Saldy, the CG takes more space than the whole game content itself. A game like Tekken or Final fantasy is about 1/3 the size of the CG they use. Tekken, without all the CG will fit on a regular 700mb CD. And sadly, the majority of the PS2 game never even reach half the size of a regular dvd5 disc and a lot of protential are wasted. It all depends on the developer. Games like Xenosaga was over 5 gig due to the excessive use of CG animation. But yea, new spec usually mean more space for the graphical upgrade. But I say the majority will play the same, but have upgraded CG video.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:59 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
But I say the majority will play the same, but have upgraded CG video.

Games have been going that rate since the days of CD-rom based games in my opinion.

Look at the best selling computer and console games for the most part its the same old game shiny new package.

I just want Blu-ray or whatever wins for the huge amount of space it can hold. Same reason I switched form cd-r to dvd-r takes up alot less space and holds more.

The media will cost a arm and a leg at first but then will drop like a rock soon after as more and more people get it.

Blue ray is out now atleast for computers just $$$$$.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I think I will chime in and say Blu-Ray will become the format of choice. Sure, at first, both the decks and discs will be expensive, but it has two large companies and several other companies behind it with tons of monetary backing for Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray holds more, has lower compression, and is more compatible. I believe Phillips has produced a drive with 3 different lasers so that it can also read DVD's.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:55 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
I just want Blu-ray or whatever wins for the huge amount of space it can hold. Same reason I switched form cd-r to dvd-r takes up alot less space and holds more.

Yeah, it will be cool to get all that space on a single disc. It will make backing up my hard drive so much easier. When the technology matures a bit I will surely have a CD/DVD/BR drive (megadrive?) on my PowerMac G7.
owen_c

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:25 pm Reply with quote
There's always the possibility that neither of them will win and replace red laser DVD.

Look at laser disc or minidisc for example.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2