• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai Champloo Music Record: Katana (Best SC OST?)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:30 am Reply with quote
Just got my Samurai Champloo from Deep Discount. This seem like the best SC soundtrack release and domestic version. The hip hop instrumental are really good and it include the openning, closing, and another vocal track featuring Kazami. The soundtrack also comes with insert booklet with lyrics and song titles translated in English

The soundtrack compose of the first 3 Japanese release: Departure, Master, Impression. (Playlist was not included)

The music composer consist of: Fat Jon, Tsutchie, Force of Nature

U.S release:
Samurai Champloo Music Record: Katana

01 Battlecry - Nujabes feat.Shing02 (Departure) (great down tempo instrumental with rapid fire rapping)
02 Ole - Fat Jon (Departure)
03 Raw Material - Tsutchie (Masta)
04 Genome - Fat Jon (Masta)
05 Dry - Tsutchie (Masta)
06 death wish - Forces of Nature (Impression)
07 Vagrancy - Forces of Nature (Masta)
08 Sneak Chamber - Force of Nature (Masta) (song on the trailer, I like it)
09 YOU Feat.Kazami - Tsutchie (Masta) (This song is so awesome)
10 Tubed[Drum Please!!!] - Tsutchie (Masta)
11 Pretending to... - Tsutchie (Masta)
12 Night Out - Forces of Nature (Impression)
13 tsurugi no mai - Forces of Nature (Impression
14 world without words - Forces of Nature ( Impression)
15 silver morning - Forces of Nature (Impression)
16 624 Part1 - fat Jon (Departure) (Are we gong to see a second OST with part 2? Part 2 was better)
17 Shiki no uta (Song of the seasons) (I like it a lot, the instrumental is incredible, it's also my ringtone on my cell)

Japanese OST Releases:
Samurai Champloo Music Record:Departure
Samurai Champloo Music Record:Masta
Samurai Champloo Music Record:Playlist
Samurai Champloo Music Record:Impression

So is this the best compliation of the 4 SC ost release? What song would you like Geneon to have included?
Geneon wil release a second OST over here. For everyone else, go pick up the first CD.

Last edited by darkhunter on Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:28 pm; edited 6 times in total
slickwataris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:05 am Reply with quote
They already released this cd at Best Buy. It came with volume 1 of the anime. Don't have it yet. I will soon though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:50 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
So is this the best compliation of the 4 SC OST release? What song would you like Geneon to have included:
I personally, can't wait to get this soundtrack and hopefully Geneon wil release a second OST over here.

Yup. It's basically a CD of what they think are the best tracks from all 4 OSTs. I guess they did this so they wouldn't have to go through whatever financial obstacles there might be in trying to license all 4 from Japan (and I think there are a couple of singles as well).

There's a track in particular that I heard on one of the OSTs, but I can't remember the name of it. But whatever it's name is, I really like it. It's the piece they play when Jin and Mugen fight each other for the first time in episode 1. It's a cool and very upbeat piece of music Anime hyper.

As to a 2nd OST release, I suppose that'll depend on how well sales go for the first one, so start buying people! Wink
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
r the first time in episode 1. It's a cool and very upbeat piece of music Anime hyper.

Ahh yes, Sneak Chamber, very good song. #8 on Katana. It also happens to be #8 on Masta as well.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:50 pm Reply with quote
About the openning song: People hate rap, especially "battlecry", but I think it's great song. Shing02's lyric fits the theme of the show perfectly and it's different from the typical j-pop with random clips. The rapid fire lyrics becomes infectous after a while, and pretty soon, it distort into a mess of beautiful expression of a samurai. You don't have to like rap music, but just appreciate it for what it is. It might take some times but it'll grow on you.

About the Closing song: I like this clong song a lot. Sung by Jpop star, MINMI. Like most closing song, it's soft weet and leave a lasting impression. You won't undersatnd the lyric, but it comes out bueatifully. And then after watching the anime with the translated lyric, the lyric are really nice. This is the non-hip hop song in the album. This is what many people are use to, so it's easy for them to like it right a way.

After carefully listening to the rest of the OST, I think they use the best sound out of 3 album. Most of the beats are really laid back. The 3 vocal track on the OST is impressive. There are some song I wish they would of include, but hopefully there's a second OST (if sales are good). Would be nice if they can add more vocal track that wasn't includded in the first 1.

Personally, I love how hip hop was intergrated into the anime, especialy the beats during the fighting scene. I think you have to keep an open mind, especially when it comes to anime.

More on Shing02. His homepage Profile, Pic and MP3

Last edited by darkhunter on Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:23 pm Reply with quote
i agree highly. you have to be very narrow minded to hate this anime just because it has a hip hop theme. i don't even really like hip hop and i think it's great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1