• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
.Hack// Legend of the Twilight and Sign?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Is there a difference between .Hack//Legend of the Twilight and .Hack//Sign because of been watching the first few episodes of Twilight and I don't see how they can make a whole different series based on the same thing but with different characters. I've seen pictures of .Hack Sign and they're complete different characters. (which one came firsT?? and which one is better?) Is it worth buying both series or not? And do they differ in meaning and style? Wink
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:15 pm Reply with quote
It goes:

- .hack//SIGN (the anime prequel to the main story)
- .hack [the PS2 video games] (the main story)
- .hack//LIMINALITY (anime that takes place at the same time as the main story)
- .hack//Unison (which bridges the main story and the prequel SIGN, but was only available with the special edition of Volume 6)
- .hack//Legend of the Twilight (takes place years after the main story)

.hack//SIGN is critically accepted as the best of the three.

The video games have been critically panned as a Phantasy Star Online knockoff by gaming magazines -- but they all admit that the story is really good from start to finish.

.hack//Legend of the Twilight (the anime) is good -- but it really doesn't work right. spoiler[Why is it, when Shugo's sister Rena's life is in dire peril, they all take the time out to visit a virtual hot springs? Confused ]

The above is more than enough, though. They really shouldn't make any more .hack (at least for now, anyway).
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:33 am Reply with quote
Well, the .hack//LEGEND anime isn't really canonical. The .hack// saga was always intended to span multiple genres, including novels, manga, video games, and anime.

SIGN and LIMINALITY were the anime, AI BUSTER and ZERO were the novels (anyone know what .hack//ANOTHER BIRTH is? I'm guessing more novels...) (all currently unreleased in the US), the four PS2 games, and LEGEND was the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1