• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is there any case where the anime is better than the manga?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msi435

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Most of you talk about, when referring to anime's, "Oh, the manga is better", or, “gosh darn it, I whish they followed the manga more." Is there ever a case when the anime is better than the manga? I know this is all based on personal opinion, but come on tickle my fancy. <---?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kaolin_Yatsura

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Well if you've ever watched Saiyuki you'd probably quickly notice that it doesnt stray to much from the manga while this doesn't make the anime better it is just something I'd like to point out. Now as far as anime being better I don't know if that's ever really the case. In most cases the only reason manga becomes an anime is because it's made so much money from popularity at which point most of the fans have already read the whole thing. Unfortunately for manga anime the original fans are just waiting for things to be mangled. Perhaps our own bias is what in fact makes the anime worse then the manga. Alot of people that watch the anime first enjoy both just as much and while pointing out differences is fun I cerntainly enjoy both the Sailor Moon manga and anime.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I vaguely remember an old Answerman column where this was addressed. Too lazy to look for it, though. Wink

Let's see... for me, the Revolutionary Girl Utena anime was much better than the manga (even though I love them both). There characters were all explored more in-depth, and the ending (and the secret behind Anthy) was much creepier and explained better. Or maybe it's just that I'm in love with Kunihiko Ikuhara's quirky directing style.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kaolin_Yatsura

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I don't remember a faint if not pervading disintrest in the Utena Manga but I do really like the show. Of course to go farther into that I'd probably actually have to make myself sit down and read the Utena manga.
Arkard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Hmm.. not exactly better but the recent hit Fullmetal Alchemist is totally different than its original manga and you might say that both (anime and manga) contain 2 different stories. I think this still counts no?
And what about Azumanga Daioh? Razz Still a half ass reasoning from my side because the manga was just a comic strip but still... the anime was so cute.. Chiyo chan in her blue penguin costume *Anime smile*
Other than that I must mention Trigun. Although the manga is still good it just doesnt live up to the anime which in many ways holds its position as a masterpiece. I just liked the anime (Trigun) much much better than the manga.
Also, the Rurouni Kenshin OAV`s surpase the manga in almost... every freakin way?
Animefan16

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:46 pm Reply with quote
FLCL. I didn't find the manga funny. It was more confusing than the anime, but it wasn't funny.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:23 pm Reply with quote
The general rules is "Whatever is the made first (original concept) is usually better" There are always a few exception to the rules though. Keep that in mind

Anime that are better than manga: Cowboy Bebop, Rahxephon, Wolf's Rain, Evangelion, Samurai Champloo

Notice that all were in anime form first. And if last exile or witch hunter robin had a manga, than it probably wouldn't be as good as the anime.

Some people have said the trigun anime was better than the manga, even though the manga came first, but the problem is the manga isn't complete yet to make a full judgement. Trigun Maximum has great protential to surpass the anime when it's complete. The manga is getting better with every volume.

Last edited by darkhunter on Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
kamiboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:21 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Anime that are better than manga: ..., Rahxephon, ...

Oh come on! Its got fanservice! (ecchi smile appears on face)
matticans

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:59 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Some people have said the trigun anime was better than the manga, even though the manga came first, but the problem is the manga isn't complete yet to make a full judgement. Trigun Maximum has great protential to surpass the anime when it's complete. The manga is getting better with every volume.

i completely agree. so far i really enjoy the trigun manga which shows alot of things that weren't in the anime(like the real nine lives...little guy...*cough**cough*). i also think that the manga could surpass the anime, but we will see.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:31 pm Reply with quote
As for an anime actually based off of manga, I like Rayearth a lot better than the comic.

And the Record of Lodoss War OVA was better than any of the other lodoss stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Appaku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote
Get Backers is a huge case of this. The anime was fun, entertaining, and had great battles scenes. Oh, and nice sharp, clean, animation. The manga was just a big mess of fan service and sketchy lines.
And yeah, that does tend to be a general rule- whatever you get to watch first. A good example of this is Midori no Hibi- I love both versions, but I started with the manga, and therefore got more attached to it. One of my friends, though, got head-over-heels into the anime, and took one glance at the manga, and decided never to look at it again. Rolling Eyes
I've got nothing against manga being turned into anime. Sometimes it's great to see what the directors will do it to keep the old fans interested.
hakootoko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:25 am Reply with quote
I would say You're Under Arrest.

I've only read 7 vols so far, and have seen all the anime. The art starts out quite bad in the manga (bad enough that the early stuff wasn't released in the US), but gets better after a few volumes.

But the stories are too compressed and the endings to sudden and truncated to get their points across. Fujishima seems to have forced himself to finish each story in one chapter. The chapters, made into anime episodes, can fill things in more.

No, the anime isn't perfect either. The first TV series was pretty cheaply made. The second TV series takes liberties with the characters that I didn't appreciate. The mini-specials are animated from the early chapters, when M&N were more vigilantes than policewomen.

But overall I like the anime version better.

hakootoko
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1