• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
James Cameron shares his fantasies again

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:07 pm Reply with quote
"Titanic" and "Aliens" Director James Cameron has been busy doing the press rounds for for Disney's underwater doco "Aliens of the Deep", and during those chats he confirmed to LatinoReview his next project was the feature length 3D feature "Battle Angel", based on the Japanese graphic novel "Battle Angel Alita" - "It will be live action combined with CG, and hopefully will be ready for release in 2007."

More importantly though, he's finally gone into some details, such as what book the movie will cover, "It will be a combination of the 1st and 3rd books." Who will play the main character of Alita, "A known actor will be cast to play Alita, but it is not a star driven movie. And most of Alita will be CG."

Cameron went on to say that he's waited to do Battle Angel in digital 3-D because of Digital Cinema, "By the early summer of 2007 most theater houses will be equipped with D-cinema, or Digital Cinema."

Thanks to 'Kellvin'.

Source: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050110e.php
Dilandau

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:36 am Reply with quote
3D?

...That sounds a bit un-reassuring...
ac_dropout

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:58 am Reply with quote
It will be fine. "Reboot" meets "The Incredibles"

I can see it now as the 3D heroine singing rap and dancing hip hop in a futuristic roller derby contest, not missing a beat as she slices and dices her "powerball" opponents.

There will be plenty of stop-motion photography tricks too as Altia spread her arms in a Messiah fashion after a death defying leap 40 feet in the air to say the movie catch phrase "I'm Queen of the World."

I'm just waiting for the stepford wives scene when they unscrew the tops of their head off. Laughing
kamiboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:23 am Reply with quote
PG-13?!?

Wut da hell!

The Manga sure as hell wasn't what I would call PG-13. I guess they are going to knock the graphic violence down a couple of notches. Too bad, I'm all for excessive gore and violence.

Personally I've always been interested in seeing a 3D feature, and Battle Angel wouldn't be bad start. If anyone can pull it off it is Cameron. I still have faith in him because Aliens is one of my top five movies of all time. I just hope a Cinema near me has gotten D-theatre by then.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like Cameron is wussing out, and probably falling off aswell. And this is from the guy who brought us Terminator and Aliens.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:14 am Reply with quote
I think where he's really hallucinating is the belief that digital cinema will catch on. That's what Lucas said six years ago, and other than Star Wars, audiences just don't really care. And I don't blame them, as it's the millennium's answer to cg. (That is artificial, obnoxious, and a way to escape the need for a script.)
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:34 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Cameron went on to say that he's waited to do Battle Angel in digital 3-D because of Digital Cinema, "By the early summer of 2007 most theater houses will be equipped with D-cinema, or Digital Cinema."

Someone didn't see Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:42 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Sounds like Cameron is wussing out, and probably falling off aswell. And this is from the guy who brought us Terminator and Aliens.

IMO He fell off since True Lies.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:52 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Someone didn't see Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within.

Ehh.. when it was released there was a very small number of screens equipped with DC systems. Obviously, when he says "By the early summer of 2007 most theater houses will be equipped with D-cinema, or Digital Cinema," he just means he wants to able to release it to a larger number of screens.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:57 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I think where he's really hallucinating is the belief that digital cinema will catch on. That's what Lucas said six years ago, and other than Star Wars, audiences just don't really care. And I don't blame them, as it's the millennium's answer to cg. (That is artificial, obnoxious, and a way to escape the need for a script.)

Digital Cinema is the future whether the audiences care or not. It has many advantages over the older reel based projection systems for the theatres. Sure it will take a heavy investment from them to exchange equipments but the initial cost is overshadowed by the benefits and what they save in the long run so eventually everyone will have it.

And what is this pessimism about Cameron’s vision? He wants it digital because it is the only way he can make his 3D film or that is how I understand it after reading his interview. And I know all of you nay Sayers will be eating crow when you are sitting in the theatre and Gunnm sticks her knife out of the screen to slit our throat while we love every second of it.
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote
It is true that the movie will be PG13 but he also said it will be very violent. Lots of blue blood instead of red blood. If they explain why it should be blue instead of red I might buy the idea an enjoy the movie. Camerons last movie was Titanic and action movie "True Lies". I have high hopes for this one. I'm a big fan of the manga and OVA and would love to see the live action follow it's true footsteps.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy:
Quote:
Digital Cinema is the future whether the audiences care or not.

Audiences have to care, or digital cinema won't have a future. Hell, despite being a box office draw, Tom Cruise couldn't even sell Collateral, a digital-based film.

Quote:
Sure it will take a heavy investment from them to exchange equipments but the initial cost is overshadowed by the benefits and what they save in the long run so eventually everyone will have it.

Well apparently, the "benefits" are from higher ticket prices we end up paying for them to justify continuous maintenance of their digital equipment. There's at least one theater in L.A. that can charge me as much as $14-$22 a ticket for their "top-of-the-line" technology, which is utter bs, and gives me ample excuse to avoid going there on a regular basis, and instead convinces me to go to a budget theater. And if you're going to continue producing expensive crap, you diminish the appeal of the medium, and lose consumers in the process. I mean for chrissakes! I know that sounds like something an old fogey like Roy would say, but I have to agree with him on that.

Quote:
And I know all of you nay Sayers will be eating crow when you are sitting in the theatre and Gunnm sticks her knife out of the screen to slit our throat while we love every second of it.

Assuming that it will actually be filmed and ready to be in theaters by then...
kamiboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:33 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
kamiboy:
Quote:
Digital Cinema is the future whether the audiences care or not.

Audiences have to care, or digital cinema won't have a future. Hell, despite being a box office draw, Tom Cruise couldn't even sell Collateral, a digital-based film.

I don't know. I always saw digital cinema as being more of a plaything for the people in the movie and theatre industry than the audiences. Because when you get down to it the picture quality won't be noticeably different unless you are an expert that knows what to look for. If they are going to fund it by packaging it as the next best thing for audiences then I don't think they will succeed, as most people will want a bigger screen than a sharper grain less picture quality.

GATSU wrote:
Well apparently, the "benefits" are from higher ticket prices we end up paying for them to justify continuous maintenance of their digital equipment. There's at least one theater in L.A. that can charge me as much as $14-$22 a ticket for their

Holy crap on a stick! And People complain about the 13$ Danish ticket prices. The best thing our theatre currently has is a thanks certification so our prices might be jacked up equally if we ever get D-theatre. Anywaste, I guess what I'm saying is that you can't stop the progress of technology. If it is better in some way then eventually it will catch on and replace the older.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1