• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:51 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[what did Edward's father sacrifice 400 years ago to create Envy? i know as a rule of alchemy, you have to sacrifice something of equal value to gain what you want.]
Fenrir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Nothing. He did exactly what Ed and AL did in the first episode pretty much.
Arkard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Well Al and Ed did have to sacrifice something! The other side took Ed`s leg and arm and Al`s body. But you know, Hohenheim is the greatest alchemist in the world. spoiler[Maybe he found a way to ommit Equivalent Trade and simply used his son`s body and the energy of the people from beyond the gate.]
spoiler[BUT, we know he failed to ressurect his son, because he is a Homunculus now. So maybe Hohenheim lost his body? We know that with alchemy he was switching bodies all the time to gain immortality.] This question is really interesting and opens up alot of possiblities. Come on people, you can do it, think of more Wink
matticans

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Arkard wrote:
Well Al and Ed did have to sacrifice something! The other side took Ed`s leg and arm and Al`s body. But you know, Hohenheim is the greatest alchemist in the world. spoiler[Maybe he found a way to ommit Equivalent Trade and simply used his son`s body and the energy of the people from beyond the gate.]
spoiler[BUT, we know he failed to ressurect his son, because he is a Homunculus now. So maybe Hohenheim lost his body? We know that with alchemy he was switching bodies all the time to gain immortality.] This question is really interesting and opens up alot of possiblities. Come on people, you can do it, think of more Wink

i agree. this deffinately is a very interesting question Question
spoiler[I also think that hohenheim traded his body to bring back his sone thus making envy. i think this is why even though hohenheim is a homonculus he can still use alchemy since he traded his whole body.]

tell me if you agree Very Happy
Arkard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:31 am Reply with quote
matticans wrote:
spoiler[I also think that hohenheim traded his body to bring back his sone thus making envy. i think this is why even though hohenheim is a homonculus he can still use alchemy since he traded his whole body.]

spoiler[uh... I dont think Hohenheim is a Homunculus... I dont even see how that would be possible. Aren`t homunculi created when a human transmutation fails? And even though Hohenheim did Die at many points of his life he was never brought back to life, only switched bodies. Neither Hohenheim nor Dante are Homunculi, only very talented Alchemists. And I stay by that he did sacrifice his body, I mean he changed it so alot for himself I am sure he could do it for his own freakin son.]
Shorty22

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:43 am Reply with quote
Arkard wrote:
Well Al and Ed did have to sacrifice something! The other side took Ed`s leg and arm and Al`s body.

Well, technically, Ed lost his arm spoiler[saving Al... he used his arm as transfer material so that he could bind Al's spirit to the armor.]
Arkard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:51 am Reply with quote
Shorty22: right right, I forgot that one but still my point was that Ed had to sacrifice something, wasn`t it?
Tetsujin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quote
This question involves events which happen after Episode 26, right?
Asuka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Yes.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:32 am Reply with quote
It's possible that spoiler[Hohenheim tried to bring back his son, lost his body in the process and had his soul transfered to another body by Dante. So he's just like Al in that his soul is inhabiting a different body, just one that's real and not a suit of armor. That would explain why he could still use Alchemy because Al can also still use Alchemy.]
Arkard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:19 am Reply with quote
Wait, thats not exaclty like that:
spoiler[Hohenheim switched his body a LOT of times, that was plainly said in the series. He switched bodies but his soul remained the same, so of course he could use alchemy. Because alchemy is an *art* requiering the essence of a human SOUL. That is why Homunculi cannot use it because they have no soul.
Al`s example is a little bit different. His soul is Junctioned to the armor, but it is still his SOUL so of course he can use alchemy. To put it in a words of a song: All you need is soul...]
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:52 am Reply with quote
spoiler[It is also very possible that Hohenheim did in fact lose his body, or a good deal of it. Now that said Hohenheim could of used the stone to return his body back to normal, (See a strange connection here) now as for him body switching that was more or less a way of cheating death and living forever. But when he married Ed and Al mother he decide that this was the form he intended to die as. So much Edward much like his father before follows an endless waltz (a little GW flavor) of his father past history. For those who do not learn from history are forever doomed to repeat it.]

Delta Kiral

P.S. spoiler[There is a chance that Hohenheim body was switch by Dante after they attempted human alchemy. Or perhaps Dante body was switch by Hohenheim after she failed human alchemy.]
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:04 am Reply with quote
spoiler[This is purely conjecture on my part...

But what if Hohenheim sacrificed at least a part of his original body (which is to say, equivalent to a ten year old's leg or thereabouts) but that since he has moved from body to body, it doesn't seem that he lost anything.
It makes sense to me.]
Arkard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:55 am Reply with quote
spoiler[But he did have to give something back then, doesnt really matter if he got a substitute for it. Equivalent trade exists.]
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:10 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Yes, that's what I was thinking... So I suppose the options are that he either lost something equivalent, and replaced it later, or he was able to use the Philosopher's Stone or somesuch deus ex machina to give up something inconsequential.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2