• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Keeping your enemies closer

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaolin_Yatsura

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:21 am Reply with quote
I have this bad habit of pondering over things that I really can't control but are interesting enough.

I wonder if the quality of voice acting in America would be improved if the voice actors actually studied the anime characters. Most great actors would never put a character onto the screen that they hadn't ardently studied to allow them to truly become that character. Why should anime be any different? If voice actors put the same care and attention into the characters we know and love perhaps dubs would stop making us cringe so often. Now I'm not saying that all dubs are bad simply that most are. Cowboy Bebop for example is very well done as apposed to Slayers which makes my ears hurt. What do you guys think? Good and Bad comments are welcome as the perpetuate debate. Razz
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:31 am Reply with quote
Kaolin_Yatsura wrote:

I wonder if the quality of voice acting in America would be improved if the voice actors actually studied the anime characters.

from hearing a couple of interviews of American VAs, it seemed pretty clear that some infact do studiy heir character, when given the opportunity by the company to do so. If the studio does not give them this opportunity, then they of course cannot perform as well, to blame the VA's entirely in this matter is not particuarly right since alot of the time they cannot control it.
Kaolin_Yatsura

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:59 am Reply with quote
Thus my reducation begins. I'm glad that by sticking my foot in my mouth I can learn something. I did not know this and perhaps my view of things is a bit outdated I'vew been into anime for a long time but my interest as of late has been a bit waning however I'm trying to remedy this.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:27 am Reply with quote
Kaolin_Yatsura wrote:
I'vew been into anime for a long time but my interest as of late has been a bit waning however I'm trying to remedy this.

honestly, I've found for me when I get alittle bored with anime to just take a break, a few weeks, a few months, how ever long you need away from anime and then take it up again, if you've been away for awhile you might have more zeal in watching again
Kaolin_Yatsura

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:57 am Reply with quote
Yeah try taking a break for about a year or two. It wasn't intentional it's just that I do actually have some semblance of a life and being a music major is some what time consuming. It also doesn't help that my comp was on the fritz for a good six months cause I couldn't get home to fix it.
Dilandau

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:59 am Reply with quote
I think the whole problem is that the US anime industry doesn't want to spend any more money than they have to on VAs. The deep pockets of Disney made all the dubs of the Miyazaki flicks really good (and the ONLY anime I will watch in dub).

Disney, likewise with Japan, hires VAs that can actually act and/or live by their voice (radio, musician, etc). Just being able to make a weird high-pitch squealy noise doesnt ("Shouldn't") qualify you as a VA.

*throws 2 cents*
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:09 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I think most bad dubs now a days seem to lie more in the fault of writing and direction (and occaisionally casting) than with the VAs themselves. I'm not sure money has much to do with it.. it's all personal opinion of course, but to me the dub of Karekano and Bebop are pretty on-par with the Ghibli dubs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:26 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
it's all personal opinion of course, but to me the dub of Karekano and Bebop are pretty on-par with the Ghibli dubs.
Hellsing also had a very good dub imho.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
I don't know, I think most bad dubs now a days seem to lie more in the fault of writing and direction (and occaisionally casting) than with the VAs themselves.

Bingo. My experience with acting indicates that if the performance isn't working, it doesn't mean "the actor sux." Often the production has problems that have nothing to do with the cast's basic ability. I've seen a dub of Fanny and Alexander, a Swedish movie, that had the VA who plays Cologne on Ranma, and she did splendid, rich, subtle work unlike anything on a Ranma dub. You could tell that they spent more time and did more work on F&A than they do on those Ranma dubs, and unsurprisingly her work was better. Most of the VAs working today are quite good, but having to crank out episodes like sausage doesn't make for the best product. And Dub directors vary widely. I believe the Utena movie had a different dub director from the series, which is why the movie dub is pretty good, while the series dub often sounds amateurish, even with the same cast. Of course nowadays the companies often put that extra bit of work into prestige products, so increasingly the anime that deserves good dub is getting good dub, while the boilerplate stuff gets quick and dirty dubs. Not always, but increasingly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
msi435

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Now a days you really don’t see that many bad dubs, I mean sure some of the them aren’t that great but it's not like the late 80's and early 90's dubs where they just roughly translated it and slapped some English voice actors on there. Granted there were some good dubs back then but then again there were some REALLY terrible ones.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
msi435

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Sorry duplicate post, it kept on giving me errors! Confused

Last edited by msi435 on Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
msi435

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
An other one!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1