• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aim for the Top! Gunbuster BD Box to Add New Footage

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote
It does sound like the "untrimmed" episode 6 and the rough cut of episode 5 are the same extras that were on the bonus disc in the Japanese DVD box. I'll be surprised if they go back to the completed version of episode 5 and restore the scene where Noriko stands up in the tub (although it's happened before -- a sex scene was restored for the DVD release of Megazone 23 Part II).

I actually just popped in the bonus disc and watched that rough cut of episode 5. That scene where Noriko stands up is pretty detailed. There's no way they could have shown that back in 1988, but I'm not sure about today. They managed to show quite a bit in Perfect Blue, for example.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I heard that the 2008 BluRay release was not very impressive. It looks here like they cleaned things up a bit? I wonder how much? Like they did with YYH or Utena (even though that wasn't released on BluRay)?

I too wonder if it will have subtitles and if so, if it will just be the film (more than likely) or the extras as well.

The 2008 BluRay was for the condensed movie version.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh, god. I need. I need so bad. Bandai, for the love of God, please release this in the US (preferably with a new dub and none of this ultra-limited-edition-impossible-to-find-for-a-reasonable-price nonsense of the last Gunbuster re-release).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
Oh, god. I need. I need so bad. Bandai, for the love of God, please release this in the US (preferably with a new dub and none of this ultra-limited-edition-impossible-to-find-for-a-reasonable-price nonsense of the last Gunbuster re-release).

Not happening, Honneamise/Bandai Visual is essentially dead and all of the titles are just being sold through Bandai Entertainment with no new acquisitions. And no price drops either. And they rarely did dubs to begin with. If Bandai Entertainment are not interested in grabbing something like Char's Counterattack on BluRay, a popular movie to a popular franchise, good luck in ever seeing this brought over.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I was unaware that Bandai Entertainment and Bandai Visual were two different companies. Frankly I don't care which company licenses this, as long as someone does.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote
It's got to have at least a sub, if not, I can't see paying almost $200.00 for it. Discovered I didn't have much enjoyment for Japanese disc's that are unsubbed with my Madoka Magica Blu-Rays. You can't show it to anyone, cause who wants to watch anime they can't understand, excepting uber anime lovers.

Here's hoping Bandai advises us in a timely manner, whether they are going to sub it or not.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
I was unaware that Bandai Entertainment and Bandai Visual were two different companies. Frankly I don't care which company licenses this, as long as someone does.

Given that Gunbuster and Diebuster are still Honneamise/Bandai Visual titles, I would imagine the right to license the very same anime would still go to them. Unless there are cases where the DVD can be licensed by one company, and the BluRay by another company concurrently. Naturally we never know those answers because anime companies never tell us anything. If it is miraculously licensed under the Honneamise label, I'd imagine it would still run a pretty penny, at least $100.
gwern

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
The extras look nifty, but I didn't see what I really wanted - the Gunbuster novel. I've always wanted to read that.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT????
A new more complete juicy version of GB? So can we get some of that. With the original music? I'm curious to know what this uncut episode 6 is? Is it stuff cut from the initial release or some stuff they added in.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Untrimmed?

So they're adding back in Noriko's pubic hair? .

.[/quote]

Do not tempt me so with such jokes... Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2