• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Haters Everywhere We Go

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:21 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
As for the piracy posts, I don't care to read them all again this time around but I'll say I agree with the guy who said those who pirate tend to buy more media than those who do not. (There is even a study that agrees with that which came out a few years ago).

Care at all to cite that study?

Quote:
Of course pirates are interested in media, many of them are young and don't have their own money, many of them are just becoming interested in something and the "freeness" of it is enticing (that was me) when they are still more interested in spending their money elsewhere. And sure, there may very well be some rich pirates out there who have tons of $ saved and they are millionaires but they are just not going to pay for media, but I bet that group is fairly small.

I really don't feel as though the "I'm outta money so I'm just gonna take it" approach sounds very good as an excuse...but that's just me.

Quote:
fighting piracy is a heck of a lot more likely to produce animosity than any good feelings on the part of the one who is either sharing or downloading.

And just letting it slide will remove that animosity would it? Look, if fansubs weren't causing any harm in the first place do you really think there would be such an uproar about it?

Quote:
"It's still piracy either way, plain and simple."
Sure, but I don't really see anything wrong with piracy in the first place, so I don't see a problem.

Ah, but that in itself is the problem is it not?

Quote:
It does absolutely no one any good to make less anime fans by trying to force everyone to purchase everything they watch, whether they like it or not. You may think this sounds like a good moral position, but it's a terrible position from a practical side.

But that's the beauty of it all! Times have changed, and we don't even have to pay for all of it anymore to watch it legally! The Answerman said it himself; legal streaming is a valid option now. All we need is the patience to allow these shows to become available.[/i]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:47 pm Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
I'd just like to make a comment on what someone said earlier about how watching fansubs are justified because the anime hasn't been licensed...yet. ...
This is certainly a lot more plausible as an excuse for series over five years old that have not been licensed ~ but most bootleg viewers are watching current series.

"Having" to watch a series right away so you can go on a comment board to say how much it sucks is a far cry from actually having to watch the series right away.

Crunchyroll cites a study that bootleg consumption drops around 40% when a legit stream becomes available. So there's your people watching bootlegs because there is no legit source.

The balance are those watching bootlegs despite the fact that there is a legit source, making a wide variety of excuses we are all familiar with why they cannot even contribute the pittance of an ad-supported stream to a commercial entertainment produced by people who in many cases are living on somewhere around US$1,000/month in one of the most expensive cities in the world to live.

And any quick glance around the bootleg leech streaming sites shows that the bread and butter of their viewership are titles with broad distribution.

Now, there's still progress to be made ~ all too many Japanese rights owners still reach unnecessarily restrictive rights deals with their licensing approach still driven by the DVD / cable markets and in-season streaming done as an afterthought.

But on the other hand, progress is also being made, with all of South America and the Caribbean, Africa and most of the Middle East able to access at least half of Crunchyroll's new simulcasts for the last and current season, and Scandinavia getting all but a handful of series. And if some argue that this is quantity over quality, noitaminA series are starting to get legit streams outside of North America.

With JManga opening up sometime soon, in three years time we will start to see the same evolution happening with digital media markets taking over some of the space presently occupied by digital media bootlegs.

CG-LOVER wrote:
Xanas wrote:
As for the piracy posts, I don't care to read them all again this time around but I'll say I agree with the guy who said those who pirate tend to buy more media than those who do not. (There is even a study that agrees with that which came out a few years ago).

Care at all to cite that study?
I'm expecting its a study that says that a minority of pirates sometimes buy media, and some of that minority buy a lot of media, and likely one that does not distinguish between consuming bootlegs of material not available in that individual's market and consuming bootlegs of material competing against the market.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6