• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Thoughts on some Dubs (FMA and Gungrave)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Now that more people have caught FMA on CN, what do you guys think of the dub? The dub for this series is pretty good in my opinion. I'm a fan of dubs so this dub is very decent (even though all subtitle love will disagree). This is also a comparison to the other dubs.

I think Edwards voice is great while al's voice is fitting for a 12 year old kid. I rather they not use a female to voice little kids, (commonly done in japanese voice acting).

Bang Zoom is has a good job dubbing Gungrave (DVD). I really like the English dub over the Japanese dub. The tone and voice are fitting for the character. What are some of the best dubbing studio that are known for thier good dub.

Dubs are getting better (the way I see it) and I can't wait to hear the samurai chaploo dubs. I havn't watch a bad anime yet, andI hope the days of bad dubs like the one in Slayers and sailor moon are going to be extinct like the dinosaur.

Last edited by darkhunter on Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:46 am; edited 4 times in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I haven't heard FMA's original voices, but just from a general opinion, I feel the dub is very good, which is a first for me since this is the very first FUNi dub I've heard other than DBZ (which I absolutley dislike).

I'm quite impressed by Al's voice actor knowing he's only 12 years old. The emotions of the two brothers are pretty well-delivered and there's nothing about them that I really find irritating or unlikeable. Last night's episode is a good example.

As for Gungrave, I've only seen the first volume and I did a little switching in between. It's not bad and not good. I say this though, only because there are a few actors in the Japanese version I really like and that I feel could've been casted a bit better in English. The acting is good, but the voices they picked could've been better. Overall, it's pretty decent.

I just hope Champloo's dub isn't bad. Mugen, Jin, and Fuu's voices really do bring out their personalities, and I hope Mr. Blum, Thornton, and whoever is playing Fuu do a good job.
demonblade508

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Not too familiar with these 2 dubs, I haven't seen FMA yet, but I hear Funi is dubbing it, which could be good or bad. I hate Dragonball, but Blue Gender was masterfully done. If they can recreate some VA'ing like that, it'd be nice. As far as Gungrave goes, I watched an episode or 2 of the dub at my friends house. I wasn't too fond of it. Like a lot of other dubs, the VO's are bland and have no life to them. I also found Getbackers to be this way as well. Ginji and Ban don't nearly have as much life as they should.

There are many good dubs, I'll take certain ones over subs any day. Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing and Trigun are my 3 favorite dubs, and I'll watch them in English any day over Japanese. Othe shows however like Kenshin, Berserk, and X, (just to name a few) I think the VO's are some of the worst I've ever heard. Berserk tops my list of worst dub ever. Just my opinion. I think it really all depends on the actor and director.

The director especially. If they are feeling lazy that day, maybe they won't make an actor repeat a certain line they said to dull or something. Or maybe they don't even bother watching it in Japanese to see how much life certain characters have. I don't know. Well, thats my 2 cents if it matters
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:06 am Reply with quote
Yes, FMA seems to be a great dub so far (although I can only speak to the acting and not the translation). Al's actor has been wonderfully understated, a good foil for his brother, and Ed's actor has been spectacular - the tenderness in his voice when he's talking to or about Al, his passion when he's trying to right a wrong or stop someone else from suffering his own mistake, and the last episode - wow. His rage and grief were heartbreaking.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:12 am Reply with quote
Yeah, i like the FMA dubbing. The only thing of it that bothers me is that Al souds like he is reading a book. Monotone, if you will. Other than that....its aswom.
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's probably intentional - he is in a metal body, after all, in addition to apparently having had a generally calmer and steadier personality than Ed even before the botched transmutation. He did have that nice little scene where he broke down a little the night Hughes' wife had the baby.
SekiGatha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Both series have great dubs.
Funimation did an excellent job with the casting. Vic steals the show every episode as his portrayal of Ed.
Gungrave also finally gives Kirk Thorton the lead role after many years of being a secondary character.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:23 pm Reply with quote
i wanna know why Scar sounds american when he's clearly of middle easter descent.
OTP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Gungrave, but the Fullmetal Alchemist dub is great. Of course, I haven't seen it subbed, so I have nothing to compare it to, but the voice acting is very well done. I hope all the Dragonball Z fanboys can see this so maybe they'll stop bashing Funimation.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:27 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i wanna know why Scar sounds american when he's clearly of middle easter descent.

Perhaps it would of sound cheesy to have a middle eastern sound "middle eastern" when he's speaking english. Would it seem fitting to have all the asian guy in anime sound "asian". Just check out the grandpa from jackie chan adventure?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Yes, dubs have definitely improved from the days of Sailor Moon and Saban's DBZ. Even the usually sub-par Funnimation is producing good ones lately like FMA and Yu Yu Hakusho. I've never been one to complain about dubs though, I take anime any way I can get it, but generally just prefer watching it in my own language.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Yes, dubs have definitely improved from the days of Sailor Moon and Saban's DBZ.

Actually, I really like the Ocean voices for the old DBZ. The script is totally kidified, but I understand why they did it. In my opinion, the first three movies produced entirely uncut by Pioneer are the best English adaptations you'll find out of the Saban-butchered TV series or the current FUNimation products.
Fenrir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:10 am Reply with quote
Well I've watched all of FMA subtitled. And I really don't like the dub. The voices are just to different for me and not a big fan of the translation. But that's my opinion.
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I think the new dubs are better and better. As for GunGrave I saw half of show on AU and I think it is pretty good. I didn't mind watching it like that at all. But if I had to choose between sub or dub in Gungrave I would go for sub since the voice acting is still little bit better then the American dub. Also "Maria" in Japanese is so damn voice acted.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:16 pm Reply with quote
For myself I really enjoyed the Original Japanese voices for Full Metal Alchemist, I thought the original voices were extremely good for Edward. My favorite part in the entire series is where Edward removes his cloak to show his "full metal" body. The Japanese voice was so good that I really felt that he had been punished by God just like he says. But the Dub is good, not as good as I would want it, but I think Edward character will turn around for the better. Someone said something about how Al's voice is monotone and I think it helps. It really give this sense of emptyness within his body, but his voice and compassion really bring him to life as a person. I really can't wait to see the end again, I really didn't want this series to end, and quite frankly I was sad when it did.

Never seen Gungrave so I will respect what has been said, and read it with grain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2