• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
anime PC games - do you want more?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drtaylor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Hey

I’m a student in North Carolina State University’s MBA program and I am working on a project with a small PC game publisher looking at importing and translating anime-based PC games for the US market. Essentially I’m trying to figure out if the TOKYOPOP model can be replicated in video games.

There are a few basic questions I am trying to answer:
- Do you know of any companies does this now
- Who would be the primary demographic for this type of thing (would it be title-specific or are people hard up enough to play what they can get their hands on?)
- Are people interested in these types of titles (list at the bottom)
- What kind of demand is there for these titles (if you had to guess, how many copies of lesser known PC games could you move)
- What are some ways to get fans involved in the process of getting the games ready for market (have fans work on translation, pick titles to bring over, booths at conventions, etc…)
- What is the best way to translate the games (fans vs. professionals)
- What are some possible things that could mess up games in the fans’ eyes

Some examples (from a general list) of the level of titles (we’re not talking DBZ here) we’d be looking at publishing are:

Galaxy Angels Moonlit Lovers
Galaxy Angels Eternal Lovers
Y's 6
The Legend of Heroes VI: Sora no Kiseki
Shikigami no Shiro 1 and 2
Sequence Palladium 3
PowerDolls 5
Schwarzchild V
Mobius Link Universe
Mobius Link Noir

This isn’t a formal survey or anything; it’s just basically a chance to weigh in on what you think about bringing over some lesser-known anime PC games out there. Feel free to just comment on anything you feel like here or shoot me an email at

[email protected]

Thanks for the assist,

-duncan
kainzero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Do you know of any companies does this now

There are quite a few HGame publishers in America, if that counts. Google G-Collections.
But as far as non-H, Anime games, the closest I can think of is Atlus, who translate a lot of the lesser known RPGs with an anime art style.
Quote:
Who would be the primary demographic for this type of thing (would it be title-specific or are people hard up enough to play what they can get their hands on?)

I think any gamers just want fun games to play. Take for example, Initial D for the PC vs. Initial D for the Arcade. The PC game was a huge failure and considered one of the worst driving games ever, where as Initial D for the Arcade enjoyed mild success.
If the title is good, the marketing is good, and the production values are good, then I'm sure the title will meet with success.
Quote:
- Are people interested in these types of titles (list at the bottom)
- What kind of demand is there for these titles (if you had to guess, how many copies of lesser known PC games could you move)

Having spent a bit of time in the SHMUP community, there is a bit of demand for Shikigami no Shiro 2 (which is a splendid game), but unfortunately the licenses over here are really crappy... SnS is known as Mobile Light Force 2 over here, which has some infamous box art.
Unfortunately on the whole, SHMUPs have been on the downfall, save for quirky hyped games. Ikaruga was met with a lot of commercial praise; Gradius V was not.
I haven't heard of any of those other games besides Y's...
Quote:
- What are some ways to get fans involved in the process of getting the games ready for market (have fans work on translation, pick titles to bring over, booths at conventions, etc…)

I'd work on PR and advertising. People need to know that these games do exist, and it has to come off as a game worth their time, too.
Quote:
- What is the best way to translate the games (fans vs. professionals)

The best way to translate the games is to make it LOOK professional. Things such as font matter a lot... I know a lot of RPG translators get lazy and don't even fix font width, giving us such famous spells like FIR2, but if your translation input looks like its pro, people will buy it. FF2 was pretty successful in the states and most people didn't notice how the story really changed from the original... at least, until the internet was born.
Quote:
- What are some possible things that could mess up games in the fans’ eyes

Don't rewrite the story or change the graphics. That's the worst thing you can do. Translation iffyness won't piss people off as much as if you rewrote story arcs or changed what people looked like (again, see Mobile Light Force boxart).
drtaylor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:45 pm Reply with quote
wow thanks for the detailed reply
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1