• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Short, Good anime movies

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Are there any really good anime that is only about an hour half long. Not a series. A movie or OAV. I haven't seen any new anime for a while (except or FMA and GITS:SAC ). Any info is helpfull.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Do you mean, a movie or a single-episode OAV with that time frame? That would be very difficult. Other than your avatar, all I can think about are Magnetic Rose and Cannon Fodder from Memories. Forget about Stink Bomb.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
theLostProphet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, definitely watch magnetic rose. It and voices are probably the best shorts out there.

The only other short anime I can think of is the Animatrix, but it's not very good.
Baka...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:20 am Reply with quote
What about Ninja Scroll Ressurection. good movie in my mind
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:01 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Do you mean, a movie or a single-episode OAV with that time frame? That would be very difficult. Other than your avatar, all I can think about are Magnetic Rose and Cannon Fodder from Memories. Forget about Stink Bomb.

Aww, I liked Stink Bomb. It was amusing. If you're looking for short OAV series (like, 2-3 episodes) I'd recommend Twin Signal, Shinesman, and Dragon Half.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:53 am Reply with quote
Like Memories you should try [url=anime#2044]Neo-Tokyo[/ur].
It has three different 30 minute shorts, and contains one by Kastuhiro Otomo, Rin Taro, and Yoshiaki Kawajiri.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:26 am Reply with quote
Baka... wrote:
What about Ninja Scroll Ressurection. good movie in my mind

Do you mean Ninja Scroll or Ninja Resurrection? Ninja Scroll is 94 minutes long, much longer than Perfectsword's requirement; Ninja Resurrection, on the other hand, is THE lowest rated anime in entire ANN Encyclopedia (2.84, the only one below 3). Neither is suitable for recommendation.

Jadress wrote:
Aww, I liked Stink Bomb. It was amusing.

The reason I don't like it is somewhat personal: I'm a biochemist and a member of the non-existent Biochemist Anti-Defamation League. Wink

Unlike many manga-ka / anime producers who grew up watching Astro Boy and Tetsujin 28-go (AKA Gigantor) where "technology is your friend" (which also indirectly contributed to the Japanese leadership of robotics technology in the world, e.g. Honda ASIMO), Katsuhiro Otomo seems to have some deep resentment and distrust to the advancement of science and technology.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
enjou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:14 am Reply with quote
I thought Read or Die was a good OVA. Probably one of the best I've seen.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:24 am Reply with quote
enjou wrote:

It's an excellent one, but with 3 episodes X 29 minutes = 87 minutes total. If Perfectsword was asking for movies 60-90 minutes long I'd ask him to dig up the Top 50 list himself, for there are so many of them within that time frame.
Red Recluse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:09 pm Reply with quote
[quote="theLostProphet"] It and voices are probably the best shorts out there.[quote]
I second that! Also, I find it noteworthy that Voices was almost entirely a one-man project. I also enjoyed Blood- The Last Vampire (40 min. long); however, due to large plot-holes, there was a Blood manga released as a kind of accompaniment (plot-hole filler) to the anime .
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Aparently there is some confusion, so let me clear this up.

A movie, not a series, that can be up to x number of hours long if, and only if, it is a movie. No continuing moves that requier you to buy a sequal to firgure out how it ends. examples; Princes Mononoke, Voices of a Distant Star, Kite

OVA's are good too as long as they are some where around 4-5 episodes. Example; Samurai X; Trust and Betrayle.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Why didn't you say so before:

Tokyo Godfather, Millenium Actress & Perfect Blue. All very good movies that's not made by studio ghilbli.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Well then. There are 17 movies and 7 OAVs on the Top 50 list. Have you finished all of them? Not every of them is my cup of tea, but I'd say most of them are pretty good. Please be more specific about genre(s) you are looking for, or this thread will succumb to another "my favorite" list thread in no time.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Steel Angel Kurumi Encore is very good for a short OAV series.

It's four 15-minute OAVs that have the first 3 focus on each one of the three main steel angels and one final (and very humorous) season ender. It's not self-contained, but all you would need is a bit of background on the first season, which you can find out by reading ANN's first season overview and the information on the ADV official website.

Also, have you seen Otaku No Video yet?
enjou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:15 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
enjou wrote:

It's an excellent one, but with 3 episodes X 29 minutes = 87 minutes total. If Perfectsword was asking for movies 60-90 minutes long I'd ask him to dig up the Top 50 list himself, for there are so many of them within that time frame.

Right, sorry about that. I didn't read that well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2