• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Barbapapa cartoon DVD

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hessa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:11 am Reply with quote
Hi Very Happy

am looking for Barbapapa cartoon DVD

who can help me to get it
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about the United Arab Emirates, but, in North America, the Japanese-animated Barbapapa series from the around 2001 never got any kind of domestic release (and the prior Babapapa animated series some of you might remember from public television or maybe Nickelodeon, with the phrase "clickity-click, Barbatrick" every two seconds, wasn't anime; I believe it was from Holland even if the character was from a series of French children's books).

As far as I know, the only way you can legitimately get the Japanese Barbapapa series is on Region 2 DVDs imported directly from Japan.

Sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hessa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:59 am Reply with quote
Thank you Laughing
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:24 am Reply with quote
Incidentally, while I was correct about the original Barbapapa cartoon from 1973 being from Holland, the IMDb lists that Barbapapa series as being a co-production with Kodansha. I wasn't aware of that, though the IMDb isn't always 100% accurate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hessa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:59 am Reply with quote
hI
Thank you for your help... but i remember the one i was watching was in english.. this was long time ago 15 years ago
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that's the Dutch one I'm talking about, dubbed into English in Britain, I think. That one's never been released on video in English as far as I know, or, if it has, it would have been way back in the 1980s, with the videotapes long, long out of print. A lot of foreign cartoons shown on public television (in Canada) and on Nickelodeon (in the United States) never got any kind of video release back then, as most pre-recorded videotapes weren't "priced-to-own" (meaning that they weren't cheap enough for most people to buy).

I found this and this on Amazon France, though I honestly don't know if it's the old series or the newer one (the release date is that of the DVD set, not when it was originally animated). The logo is the same as the one I remember on the older cartoon. I don't see any indication that it has English dubbing or subs on it, though. The newer Japanese Barbapapa series actually does have English subtitles, according to the page I linked to in the first post I wrote. If it is the old series you want, French-only DVDs could be the only way to buy it.
Hessa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:18 am Reply with quote
Thank you verymuch for your help.. i found a place where i can downlaod it Cool

Thank you again for your kind help Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1