• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime female dress codes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TohruSama

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Hi there! I know I haven't written an intro yet but I am taking an anime class and have a group project on female gender roles. For my part, I am undertaking the issue of female dress and appearences. I would like to see what you guys think about Japanese anime compared to Western style animation in this context. What are there similarities and differences? Physically and mentally?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Well for one, school uniforms seem to be manditory in most educational facilities there, while there's only a little of that here in the states.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, the biggest difference i can think of are Extremely Revealing clothes, and Big brests.

Like Kruszer said, school uniforms are rare in western cartoons.
imaginary_num6er

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Although in Japan, the rules of school uniforms have slightly losened these days, it is still strict in most places. Rules could range from girls wearing skirts even during the winter, or just regular casual clothing with some extreme exceptions. Moreover, since the traditional dress code rules continued for such a long time, it is common to attribute high school girls to thier uniforms. Another more disturbing reason is probably because some guys (including adults), like highschool girls in their school uniforms more than their casual wear. (I don't want to go into detail lol)

However, one thing that as a Japanese citizen I would like people to be aware is that anime is ultimatly a form of entertainment, not a true snapshot of what is actually happening. I know that probably 99% of you guys are aware of this while watching anime, but for the minor 1% of the audience, I just want them to be not mistaken. As evidence, if you walk the streets of Japan you will not find people. in revealing clothes and unfortunatly, people. with relativly big breasts ROFL.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:20 pm Reply with quote
imaginary_num6er wrote:
Although in Japan, the rules of school uniforms have slightly losened these days, it is still strict in most places. Rules could range from girls wearing skirts even during the winter, or just regular casual clothing with some extreme exceptions. Moreover, since the traditional dress code rules continued for such a long time, it is common to attribute high school girls to thier uniforms. Another more disturbing reason is probably because some guys (including adults), like highschool girls in their school uniforms more than their casual wear. (I don't want to go into detail lol)

However, one thing that as a Japanese citizen I would like people to be aware is that anime is ultimatly a form of entertainment, not a true snapshot of what is actually happening. I know that probably 99% of you guys are aware of this while watching anime, but for the minor 1% of the audience, I just want them to be not mistaken. As evidence, if you walk the streets of Japan you will not find people. in revealing clothes and unfortunatly, people. with relativly big breasts ROFL.

First, yes, you are correct, I belive, about the whole "scholl uniforms" and "big tits" ideas. But as many critics have said...unforutinitly..."sex sells"... Rolling Eyes

And....WHAT DOES ROFL MEAN? Evil or Very Mad Wink
imaginary_num6er

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:47 pm Reply with quote
ROFL is an internet acronymn meaning: Rolling on the floor laughing.

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Internet_slang#R
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:
Well, the biggest difference i can think of are Extremely Revealing clothes, and Big brests.

I would probably call this a stereotype rather than an actual standard. Most anime series/movies are not intended as male masturbatory material.
Mitsuhide A.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:49 pm Reply with quote
yup i think its pretty much already been said: the skimpier, the better. I think its kinda ironic that this tactic is used even though its commonly associated with the Western belief toward live action shows. Perhaps its just an indication of the prominence of anime in Japan as the preferable medium. But just to repeat, the more revealing the better. Also, it must show off the charaters curves Twisted Evil
TohruSama

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:30 pm Reply with quote
How is it a stereotype then? I don't think it's the Japanese people in reality, as with what imaginary_num6er said. It could be artisitc values but would it be on Western culture as a whole? Does it seem that there is really no difference between the ideals of American vs. Japanese culture? Is it just a difference between cartoon vs. live action? I read somewhere that the Western ideals of cartoons are something made for children watch not adults, whereas in the Japanese culture any age goes.
P.S. Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it!!!!! Very Happy
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Trust me guys. You are all so lucky that we don't have dress code here in the states. Who would like to see bunch of fat chicks running around like that?! In Europe or Asia (and even africa) it would be ok but not here Smile .
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:52 pm Reply with quote
The U.S. Department of Education (and the states' individual Dept. of Eds.) are still working on the "School Uniform" issue. I keep hearing that if they truly had their way, everyone from K-12 would be wearing school uniforms.

The "sailor suit" look, though, is getting old. I see a lot more school-related anime with girls dressing up in knee-high skirts, vests, short-sleeved white shirts, and normal ties. This is probably a better (and perhaps more "real") look than the "sailor suit" look IMHO.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Here are some REAL Japanese high school uniforms worn by Sakura Wars characters. A good (and very kawaii) reference on uniform designs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DZchaos11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I would say the difference would mainly lie in the intended audience, like say in the U.S. cartoons save the comdedic ones like Family Guy and Futurama and a few others most are intended for kids where in Japan the age varies greatly making it for a wider audience also throws in many more factors.

For the ones intended for an older audience they throw in all the girls that are thin and with great curves because the people they are writing the show for like girls with great curves and that are pretty. It is a primal instinct to be attractied to what you consider "good" looking members of the opposite sex and this helps sell the show. the sexual factor may infact help sell the show more than anything else so it brings in quite alot of people. Also If you throw in unitractive people into a show people will not want to watch it because they want to see them selves at the attractive hero or herion. They don't want to see the earth or what ever saved by the great hero then see him marry some utterly unatrractible girl it just makes the story bad for them.

I wish they would cut back on all the sexual things though they can get extremly annoying. I enjoy the jokes cause they're funny and its okay every once in awhile at the right time but when there at like an important part of the story and some chics boobs pop out it can be really annoying like you have to wait for them to move her boobs out of the way to get to the point.

Well thats my opinion on it anyways
imaginary_num6er

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Looking at Dormcat's link, those are what I would call on the casual side of Japanese school uniforms. When I think of "Japanese school uniforms", I first think of the black and white monotone uniforms that were common between 1945- 70's. Nonetheless, I went to an international American School so I don't know much about public schools... Sad
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I remember when I was in 7th or 8th grade we had a couple Japanese exchange students, so we got to see pictures of the uniforms they wore back home, and which they all were very happy they didn't have to wear here. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4