• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Deadman Wonderland, Steins;Gate, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keikanna44

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
YES!!!!!!!! *Happy Dance* FINALLY Funimation got off their asses and selected some good series for a change. I hope they intend to dub Stein's Gate, C and Deadman Wonderland. I'll definitely have to buy these shows if they do! I'm so happy right now! I can't wait to see these dubbed!

*Gotta start saving* Wink
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Given Funimation's backlog...expect these releases in late 2012 or even 2013.

Baka Test 2 was expected.

Also, I see no mention of simulcast Baka Test 2. Doesn't matter if they simulcast Steins;Gate or not since CR already has it. They're on the tip of the iceberg with Deadman since the ending could go either way this weekend (they've probably seen it already though through licensing agreements).
C...I'm surprised they went through with the rest of the license since it was bad. B Gata H Kei, I have no comment since it was funny and yet not. Asobi ni Iku yo! was a fun series though.

To be honest, the two series worth value here is Steins;Gate and Baka Test 2. Deadman is again up in the air, and the last three are meh.

Last edited by Kit-Tsukasa on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh hey, Steins;Gate, C - Control, and Deadman Wonderland are definite buys. Glad they picked them up. Cat Planet Cuties or whatever might also be ordered too, if I enjoy maybe an episode or two to sample.

So yeah. Nice job Funimation. I'm not even going to be making comparisons between Steins;Gate or Higurashi in bitter old hag spite because I'm so satisfied. Heh heh heh.

@keikanna44
They never release a show's footage without a dub unless they deem some of it as extra features. (Meaning, recaps and unreleased OVAs from rescued licenses.)

Last edited by darkhappy1 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I caught a nice fight with very fluid animation from the latest episode of [C]: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control it looked quite bad ass..I may check the series out now..and Deadman Wonderful I may check out as well..depends who is in the dubs and what not..overall nothing to exciting personally for myself the news of Blue Exorcist not getting an English Dub really ruined the entire license announcements for me..Aniplex really screwed english dub fans over with that one.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:21 am; edited 6 times in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
tsunayakuin wrote:

They already grabbed Otoshimono and Rosario which I see nothing of in dub, why more fanservice junk?

Ecchi is a safe license. Its cheap, and guaranteed sales.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear about Deadman and Steins, and I'm really happy C is getting a BD release. B Gata is a surprise, even more so that it's getting a BD Laughing . I'll probably buy it anyway ahahahah.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
tsunayakuin wrote:

They already grabbed Otoshimono and Rosario which I see nothing of in dub, why more fanservice junk?

Ecchi is a safe license. Its cheap, and guaranteed sales.

not really per say, I did like B Gata H Kei if only in part that it was fun comedy to watch not to taken seriously. Some fans never cease to amaze "not to you lol" but the majority you don't have to buy it calm down.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Kick ass, I will definitely be interested, thus far anyway, in purchasing Steins Gate and Deadman Wonderland. Been watching them on CR. B Gata H Kei was hilarious so I'm definitely going to pick that up too.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm certainly looking forward to Steins;Gate and Asobi ni Iku yo. I might consider Deadman Wonderland. As for Baka to Test 2, well I need the first one to come out before I get excited about the second season Wink I'm undecided as to whether or not I want to own B Gata H Kei. It wasn't that good, but it wasn't that bad either. Perhaps I'll pick it up during one of the Funimation sales at TSRI when the time comes.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
B GATA H KEI?!

Shocked

I love you so much Funi. That was one of the most underrated titles of last year. It's such a hilarious and awesome series, and perfectly captured my high school life (well, not me personally, but people I knew
Embarassed )

Yamada's First Time? Eh, I'd rather they go with the Coalguys translation of The B Cupped Slut, which is hilarious, but I suppose that title might be a bit off putting and make it sound sleazier than it is.

Fun Fact: B Gata H Kei's name comes from a trait system in Japan.

B Type means Yamada has B type blood, and in Japan they assign traits based on what blood type you have (kind of like horoscopes) However, it's also a double joke since she has a B cupped bust.

H Kei pretty much means 'H Personality', which is also another type of personality quiz thing in Japan. (H is written as Etchi in romaji, similar to the word ecchi ,so another double joke)

B Cupped Slut forever.

Now, if they'll just licensed Oreimo next, I can die happy.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
Nothing for me here except for C - Control, uh, maybe...

The rest these shows are either so obviously not aimed at the female demographic, or kind of made me feel really bummed out when watching them (Deadman Wonderland makes me feel really sad... Anime cry).

The plus side to this is that I will have more budget for NIS sets like Katanagatari and Kimi ni Todoke! Smile
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Asobi ni Ikuyo! got licensed? I expected Sentai Filmworks to get it, but a somewhat nice pick by FUNimation Entertainment. This is a much better pickup than We, Without Wings: Under the Innocent Sky (Note I'm a fan of that show, but don't like it all that much.).

I can see that selling much better than We, Without Wings: Under the Innocent Sky.

Agreed; I also thought that this was a Sentai title for sure, since Funimation much less commonly goes for the fan service-heavy stuff. Still, I'm quite pleased (but not necessarily surprised) that it got licensed, as it is one of the best of all harem series. Just not sure about the name; was "Bombshells From The Sky" not good enough?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
FMAvatard wrote:
B GATA HA KEI? WE GOT IT?

YES!! Allow me to go DANCE IN EXCITEMENT! Very Happy

DUDE I had the same reaction. Already watched it, but I'm totally gonna shell out the cash to get this legally. Anime needs more comedies like this, and I'm totally willing to show my support.

I'll definitely pick up Deadman Wonderland for the hey of it as well, because as a fan of the franchise, I would sleep better at night knowing that I gave the anime adaptation my dough. And maybe some of that profit will magically transfer into making a second season, so the s*itty ending that it's coming to will only be a bridge to something new. Ahh, wishful thinking...

Besides these too favorites though, it looks like FUNimation has picked up some nice trump cards again, and I'm thoroughly ready to be broke when going into college next year because of these releases ;D
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
I'm glad they picked up Asobi, Steins, and B Gata. Asobi will probably get written off by many but it's actually pretty good, especially if you like sci-fi. They reference and homage a lot of classic stuff in it with a love for it that I wasn't expecting... plus people get shot and it ends with a Gundam battle of cat people vs dog people.

I always say this, but everytime they pick up a noitanimA show that came out after 5 Leaves and Tatami I fear that's another nail in the coffin for those shows coming out over here.
boznia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:25 am Reply with quote
Not a bad crop of shows, lots of stuff from different genres. The only thing though that looks like a must buy for me is Steins;Gate (it's almost tailor-made for my tastes in anime). I've seen C and Deadman Wonderland through streams, but I'm not sure that either have re-watchability for me. The others I haven't seen because they aren't my taste, but they seem like the type that will sell.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10