• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Initial D Stage 4 Disgrace

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:45 am Reply with quote
I am posting this in a hope to save anyone else the cost of the disappointment. I received my stage 4 disks yesterday and the vid quality is great, sound levels are a little high, but the real disappointment is if you are not fluent in japanesse. The english translation on vol 2 and 3 is terrible. You can barely make any sense of what is being said. I have downloaded some fansub versions and they are perfect translations, probably based on the manga translation. If you are interested in watching the vids in japanesse only then you will not be disappointed. But, if you are looking forward to being able to understand the translation, find another source. If you are curious, the copies I got are the same ones being sold by towerrecords of japan.

good luck people. Rolling Eyes
elniro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:56 am Reply with quote
Ah man thats not good. When they release it in america or europe then they might be better, i'll just wait and see
OTP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:06 pm Reply with quote
elniro wrote:
Ah man thats not good. When they release it in america or europe then they might be better, i'll just wait and see

Not if Tokyopop gets ahold of it (I just said that to save some people the trouble).
DragonofHeaven

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Their Engrish is that bad, huh?^^ I don't plan on buying Japanese DVDs anytime soon anyway, I'll stick to the domestic releases *thumbs up*

So how is Initial D Stage 4? I have been watching a few fansubbed episodes and it looks good so far, WAY better cars/racing animation. The backgrounds blend in with the cars nicely, I was impressed. Character designs are still iffy but I can stomach that...after all this time you would think that they would stop drawing them so poorly (or "awkwardly" if "poorly" is a bit rash)...*sigh*
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:19 pm Reply with quote
It looks really interesting -- just the right next step in Initial D's evolution from the first three stages.

It probably will come over to the U.S. in time, so I'd rather wait for the official English ADR (and just turn on the Japanese with subtitles Wink ).
elniro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:55 am Reply with quote
Is there anything specifically wrong with the tokyopop initial d dvds? Because im planning to buy them in the near future
Fenrir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:16 am Reply with quote
looks like you got bootlegs. THat's what happens when you get an unlicensed series on DVD
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:00 pm Reply with quote
To answer your question, elniro, only if you like dubs.

Tokyopop was trying desperately to get Initial D on the air during the height of the Fast & Furious craze. Unfortunately, network executives were wary of the "other-cultureness" of the story and proposed several changes to make it easier to digest for American audience.

Tokyopop, being a small company, agreed to some of them in their dub (changing the names, "updating" the slang, changing the music, using some "special effects" during the racing). Unfortunately, the TV broadcast never materialized and Tokyopop was left with an altered dub that they knew fans would hate and not much time to release the series. So was the birth of the ridiculous and poor "Tricked Out" dub of Initial D.

Fortunately, an unaltered subtitled version is still on the DVD's, and the DVD's were recently marked down from their already low $19.99 price point to $17.99, so you're getting a good sub release at a discount price.
elniro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:52 pm Reply with quote
thanks craeyst
I prefer subs so thats all good for me, and the unaltered subtitled version is on the same dvd as the crappy dub rite?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:14 pm Reply with quote
vdubin wrote:
I am posting this in a hope to save anyone else the cost of the disappointment. I received my stage 4 disks yesterday and the vid quality is great, sound levels are a little high, but the real disappointment is if you are not fluent in japanesse. The english translation on vol 2 and 3 is terrible. You can barely make any sense of what is being said. I have downloaded some fansub versions and they are perfect translations, probably based on the manga translation. If you are interested in watching the vids in japanesse only then you will not be disappointed. But, if you are looking forward to being able to understand the translation, find another source. If you are curious, the copies I got are the same ones being sold by towerrecords of japan.

good luck people. Rolling Eyes

You're complaining about the sub on the hong kong bootleg. You've been rip off. Official Japanese track don't have subtitle: http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1003543241/did-0/code-j/section-videos/
Lock thread please. Baka

And Elrino, if you're a subtitle fan, think of it as getting two differention version for the price of one.

Last edited by darkhunter on Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:19 pm Reply with quote
elniro wrote:
thanks craeyst
I prefer subs so thats all good for me, and the unaltered subtitled version is on the same dvd as the crappy dub rite?

I'm assuming that you've never bought a single R1 DVD to know that they have both subs and the dub on the same disk.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
elniro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:09 am Reply with quote
I have bought a few R2 dvds, they have both sub and dub, but i was just wondering if tokyopop were doing something different
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:18 am Reply with quote
Only a very small portion of Region 2 dvds have an english sub track, also those are mainly very popular movies. So it would be hard for you to have legit region 2 dvds of anime that aired on tv and have a sub track.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1