• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monster, Hellsing, or RoLW...which do I watch next??

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I recently finished Gungrave, which was awesome by the way. Now I don't know what to watch next. My three choices are Hellsing, Monster, and Record of Lodoss War. I've heard good things about all three and I just can't decide. Right now I'm leaning towards Monster. Lemme know what you guys think.
qollocust

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Well Hellsing and RoLW are my two favorite animes ever, so I would suggest both, however I've never seen Monster.

Hellsing is darker than Lodoss but Lodoss is more serious, in my opinion. One is about modern day vampires while the other is knights and elves in a fantasy land. I suppose it's just what you're in the mood for, though I reccommend seeing both at some point in time if you are able to.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:34 pm Reply with quote
The closest resemblance to Gungrave would probobly be Hellsing. I would personally choose Monster. Its a great thriller with an amazing plot and characters.
Mizuneko

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I'd say Hellsing or Monster, they are both awesome. Hellsing is very stylish and cool, and Monster has a great story, and great suspence and mysteries. So it's really a matter of personal taste and what your in the mood for. I really dont know much about RoLW but, Monster and Hellsing got much better reviews on alot of websites. Monster has more subsatance and Hellsing has more style and action. Very Happy
Syto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the opinion qollocust. First of all, I do plan on watching all three at some point in time, I just can't decide which to watch now. Laughing Monster got really good reviews on this site so that's why I wanted to watch it. It is, however, much long than the other two.
Syto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:37 pm Reply with quote
One question, so is Monster strictly a mystery/thriller? There is no supernatural elements like that of Hellsing or Gungrave, it's just normal everyday people? Thanks for your voice everyone.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:39 pm Reply with quote
If by Lodoss War you mean the OAV, then I'd recommend it first. It's one of my favorite fantasy animes and is excellent for just 13 episodes, although I feel the dub isn't too great.

Hellsing is another excellent series. It's dark, has a lot of action (though it's not strictly action), and I love the music. And while I prefer it subbed, the dub is still very decent, as it was much easier to take the whole British thing into consideration. I feel you will like it in either langauge.

I suppose it just depends on your mood, really. If you want fantasy from a feudal standpoint, go with Lodoss, and if you want some supernatural fantasy, definately go with Hellsing.

I haven't seen Monster yet (sorry Anime catgrin).
Syto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Yea, my brother just finished Hellsing, he said he liked it alot. And yes I'm talking about the Lodoss War OAV. And you're right, the other two are much shorter than Monster.
Quote:
One question, so is Monster strictly a mystery/thriller? There is no supernatural elements like that of Hellsing or Gungrave, it's just normal everyday people? Thanks for your voice everyone.
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:40 pm Reply with quote
just watch all of them Very Happy

if you ask me, the hellsing anime is crap. I've only seen a few episodes of Monster, and it looks very interesting, im definitly continuing that and recommend it to everyone. as for RoLW, haven't seen it yet, but planning to, looks fun.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Record of Lodoss War is pretty much the fantasy anime. It's a classic in every sense of the word, with great characters, great action, and a story set in a very realistic world.

Much of the appeal comes from the fact that the graphic novel series was based on RPG tabletop sessions, so each and every character was based on actual responses from real people who had input into the game.

Definitely one to watch if you want an adventure story.
Syto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the input guys. I do plan on watching all of them at some point in time, but I'm just trying to decide which to watch first. Very Happy
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Syto wrote:
Thanks for the input guys. I do plan on watching all of them at some point in time, but I'm just trying to decide which to watch first. Very Happy

Sorry about the confusion on my part.

After consideration (and with some help from the ANN pages on them), you might want to see them in the following order:

- Monster
- Record of Lodoss War
- Hellsing

(Since you only asked for the first one to watch, though, Monster is the one to answer your question. I do give my reasons as to the order below, if you want to read them:

Monster seems to be a very good, if dark, anime, and has gotten the highest User Ratings of the three (a ton of votes for Masterpiece and Very Good). Plus, the storyline looks great and might be one you will enjoy.

Record of Lodoss War should be before Hellsing, if only to give you a breath of fresh air. It's a more light-hearted anime than the other two, despite the story of death and despair that surround it (it is set during a time of war, after all).

Hellsing should probably be last, if only because of what I've heard of it. I've been told it's a hit-or-miss kind of anime, one that you either like at the start or hate at the start. Because of that unpredictablilty, you should put this one last, since you could easily put it down if you don't like it.)
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
if you ask me, the hellsing anime is crap

Yes, compared to the manga, the anime doesn't stack up. The Monster manga is also better, but the show is faithful (unlike Hellsing) and still is a great watch on it's own.
Syto

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:37 am Reply with quote
Thanks alot for the info guys, I've made my decision and Monster will be what I watch now.
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:03 am Reply with quote
um, but to my knowledge Monster is still airing. ep 31 i think is the last raw that showed up, and its suppose to be 50 eps i think. gonna be a while before its done and you can switch to the next show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2