• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation: No more Higurashi.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nayu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:27 am Reply with quote
All the more reason to buy the original game the anime was adapted from... its available from MangaGamer and isn't terribly expensive.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:42 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Now, I'm SURE someone here will argue over what constitues as "dark/dreary/depressing/slow"...or "what attracts enough deal of fans", for that matter. But whatever...

No, I get your point, but then this means Death Note didn't sell either, and I've seen nothing from Viz to confirm this.

There's no mistaking one is more popular than the other, though I will never figure out why.
Truered

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:13 am Reply with quote
Sad As a UK anime fan I never got the chance outside of imports to get the series on DVD, and whenever I seemed to check it was either out of stock for me or quite expensive Sad

I enjoyed the series, so was really hoping to have the DVDs...I always hoped there could be some small chance of a UK company licensing it. Well on the plus side yen press have given me the manga to collect Razz
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:16 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Now, I'm SURE someone here will argue over what constitues as "dark/dreary/depressing/slow"...or "what attracts enough deal of fans", for that matter. But whatever...

No, I get your point, but then this means Death Note didn't sell either, and I've seen nothing from Viz to confirm this.

There's no mistaking one is more popular than the other, though I will never figure out why.

Well Death Note was pretty much a huge phenomenon before it was released, and probably one of those exceptions to "popularity on the net doesn't always equal popularity on US DVD".

Getting a run on Adult Swim probably didn't hurt either.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:35 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
I suppose what she means by "dramas don't sell" she means, "dark, dreary, depressing,slow shows with very little action".

Which really wouldn't surprise me in the least, really. Those types of shows don't really attract a good enough deal of fans.

That wouldn't really add up, since surely they would have already realized Higurashi wasn't selling well by the time they license-rescued Texhnolyze, and that show is the definition of "DARK, DREARY, DEPRESSING, AND EXTREMELY SLOW". Higurashi has rainbows and unicorns in comparison. So the idea of this "we're not going after anything remotely similar" rings false in my ears.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
I suppose what she means by "dramas don't sell" she means, "dark, dreary, depressing,slow shows with very little action".

Which really wouldn't surprise me in the least, really. Those types of shows don't really attract a good enough deal of fans.

That wouldn't really add up, since surely they would have already realized Higurashi wasn't selling well by the time they license-rescued Texhnolyze, and that show is the definition of "DARK, DREARY, DEPRESSING, AND EXTREMELY SLOW". Higurashi has rainbows and unicorns in comparison. So the idea of this "we're not going after anything remotely similar" rings false in my ears.

Keyword: license-rescued. Texhnolyze and the first season of Higurashi were both already produced, authored and dubbed by Geneon. All Funi pretty much had to do put the discs in their own packaging and put em on the shelves.

By contrast, Higurashi season 2 would require liscensing, contracts, production and getting a dub. Funi's just saying that such a task would not be worth the time or money.

And as Sophie said, expiration of contracts for Higurashi also played a part in it, but I'm really not familiar with that area.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I'm too surprised. But it's always nice when they get candid and give us something definitive, like they did with Big Windup! Good to have some closure to end the endless speculation and demands.

As for Hell Girl, I'm guessing it lost sales because a portion of the online fanbase got pissed that they actually translated "Jigoku" (Hell) and "Shoujo" (Girl) in the title and the dialogue into, well, exactly what they mean Rolling Eyes

egoist wrote:
Ugh, gonna be judging all fans of a franchise just because of one retard? Guess anime fandom's snobbery runs up to the professionals as well.

Let's also think about it. They renamed (or whoever did, but they still stuck with the shitty naming) Higurashi and marketed it as When They Cry, which is an awful name that kept me away from the title for years even though I love that kind of stuff, and Detective Conan to Case Closed. Case Closed, really? "Detective" is such a good word in the market, yet they got some horrid name like Cased Closed which doesn't even give me an idea of what the show is about.

Yeah, Funimation, keep away from titles like Higurashi if that's the kind of marketing you'll do.
Detective Conan got its name changed due to legal issues with the Conan the Barbarian rights-holders. At least that's the story I've heard on it.

I don't think there ever was a good name that Higurashi could've taken. "When the Cicadas Cry" doesn't sound good either (other areas don't have the same associations with cicadas as Japan does), and leaving it untranslated would've left them with a long and incomprehensible title.

v1cious wrote:
Quote:
Don't worry. You guys aren't like the Case Closed fans unless one of you has stalked Adam at a con including following him into the bathroom.

Did that really happen?
Given the kinds of people I've seen at cons and similar stalking stories I've heard, I see no reason to believe that it didn't happen.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I mean Higurashi has been in limbo for years due to the whole Geneon thing. But the fanbase is more than willing to buy the DVD and re-buy copies.

I know quite a few people who bought the singles Geneon released (along with the LE for the first disk) then re-bought the set when Funimation released it. Really, how much does a fanbase have to re-buy something in order for a c.o to get the hint of "oh maybe we should get more of this!"

It just kinda makes me go "wut" at it all, I really want to call bs on this because as I said before Funimation said Higurashi was selling well. Why suddenly say it sold like crap if you repeatedly said in the past it was selling?
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Ugh, gonna be judging all fans of a franchise just because of one retard? Guess anime fandom's snobbery runs up to the professionals as well.

It wasn't just one fan, that was just the extreme example she chose to bring up. On their Facebook alone I saw many Conan fans constantly -and quite rudely- demand that Funi get more of the franchise. Months after they made it clear they were done with it, the fans were still lampooning them. Why do you think they've had to restate their clear as crystal glass answer several times over the past year?
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
...and leaving it untranslated would've left them with a long and incomprehensible title.

ROFFLE.

As if Shakugan no Shana was descriptive.
Very Happy
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
It just kinda makes me go "wut" at it all, I really want to call bs on this because as I said before Funimation said Higurashi was selling well. Why suddenly say it sold like crap if you repeatedly said in the past it was selling?

It could've been selling "well", but not "well enough to justify buying, dubbing and distributing season 2".

As a few industry people have said on the ANNCasts, they have to treat every series as "their kids, and we all have to love them and treat them equally". That tends to mean downplaying if any of them aren't doing that good in sales.

Now that the contract's have long expired and are past their sell-date, I'm guessing that Sophie is now free to be more blunt and say, "It just didn't sell enough"

Course, where exactly did someone say that Higurashi was selling "well"?
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Anime Central last year and other cons, a question was brought up about how well Higurashi was doing and if they would get season 2 sometime.

All they said was it was doing well, better than they thought and selling out at cons and online.

I was at the panel last year, and I'm sure you can find a video of it or a transcript of the panel somewhere online.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
Anime Central last year and other cons, a question was brought up about how well Higurashi was doing and if they would get season 2 sometime.

All they said was it was doing well, better than they thought and selling out at cons and online.

I was at the panel last year, and I'm sure you can find a video of it or a transcript of the panel somewhere online.

Then someone there must've been missinformed, because I really don't think Funi have any reason to lie and create some kind of grand conspiracy over why they're not getting season 2 of Higurashi
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Course, where exactly did someone say that Higurashi was selling "well"?

animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2010-01-07 (at the 66:23 mark)
Raikuro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Aww, I held off getting the box set of season 1 when I heard it was going out of print because I figured a S.A.V.E. set would be coming out. Now it's so expensive. T.T
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3