• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What manga license do you want rescued?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote
Hope it's okay to start this topic. I didn't see it listed. What dropped series would you like to see rescued? For me, it would be GoComi's Cantarella. I love that series and would really like to finish it.

Also, I know Blood Alone got rescued. Does anyone know if they've released any more volumes? I saw a omnibus collection of volumes 1-4 but I already have those.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Future Diary
Aria
Fruits Basket
Alive: The Final Evolution
GTO
Battle Royale
You're My Pet (Tramps Like Us)
Maid-Sama
Gakuen Alice
Narutaru
School Rumble
Moyashimon
Ghost Hunt
Dramacon
Deadman Wonderland
Happy Cafe
D.N.Angel

That's all that I could think of.
chefneer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Aria: It's one of my favorite series which TokyoPop effectively abandoned a couple of years ago.
I'd also like to see Gosick picked up by somebody. Another TP title that's been left in limbo. I have the first volume but volume 2 is becoming pretty expensive and with TP's demise any future volumes will require a rescue.
And let us not forget the Full Metal Panic! novels. I have 1 through 4 but 5 and on were also abandoned by TP. 1 thru 4 are also becoming pretty hard to find and expensive.
fortykoubuns

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Every title by Ai Morinaga that wasn't able to finish its run :/

Your and my Secret
My Heavenly Hockey Club
Duck Prince (I loved loved LOVED this. It was published by CPM so it was one of my first manga 'heartbreaks' - I kept emailing them about the other volumes)

The only title by her that's been able to complete its run in America was that 2 volume Strawberry-chan manga. Why is it so hard for Morinaga's manga to succeed here?

Also, I'll through in some CMX:
Apothecarius Argentum (I LOVED THEE SO MUCH---I thank Asako Suzuki for her wonderful taste in manga.)
Crayon Shinchan (I actually have all the old Comics One editions too)

And other miscellaneous:
Museum of Terror (Junji Ito manga is so great AND NONE OF YOU BOUGHT IT)
You Will Drown in Love (I can't believe I'll have an incomplete Hinako Takanaga series on my shelf)
Noodle Shop Affair (This was a REALLY good and funny C. J. Michalski work)
Hetalia (Like millions of other fans. However, out of all the manga that needs license rescuing, I'm pretty sure this is the only one that has a 100% chance of actually realistically getting licensed rescued).

(I'm really passionate about this, so I apologize for this sounding so rant-ish)
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh man where to begin?!

Novel - its a long shot but I'll still list it!

Trinity Blood
Chibi Vampire (the last frickin' volume!)
Slayers
Ballad of a Shinigami

Graphic Novels I have a lot of hope for:

Maid Sama
Sgt. Frog

Both of these series appeared to have a strong following so I really, really hoping that someone will rescue them.

The rest in no particular order:

Tactics
Loveless
The Young Magician (the last frickin' volume)
I.N.V.U.
Alice in the County of Hearts (the last frickin' volume)
Saiyuki Reload (the last frickin' volume)
Butterfly
Pet Shop of Horrors: tokyo
Trinity Blood
Junjo Romantica
Future Diary
Maria Holic
Yubisaki Milk Tea
07-Ghost
Bound Beauty
Yggdrasil
The Secret Notes of Lady Kanako (the last frickin' volume)
GTO: The Early Years
You Will . . . series by Hinako Takanaga
Yami no Matsuei/Descendants of Darkness
Ghost Hunt (again rumored to be the last frickin' volume)
Chroincles of the Grim Peddler
Reading Club

And I can't think of any more - I'm sure there are more though. I've been collecting manga for a long time and the list of incompletes grows. Sometimes it is due to the author going on hiatus. It hurts but somehow it is easier to take. When a series goes AWOL because of a publisher that really sucks. Mostly because you know it is out there and you just can't get it. One of these days, I'm going to have to breakdown and learn Japanese. Smile

There is also a good sized list of series I would like to see begin such as Hellsing: The Dawn, Saiyuki Giaden, or the sequel the Fake.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Just off the top of my head I can't come up with a few titles.

Welcome to the NHK: Great manga and great anime series. There seems to be quite a few fans of it so I don't see why it wouldn't be picked up.

Future Diary: As others have already said, this should be rescued. I started reading the scans when it was being released in Japan and then I was really happy to hear it got picked up. I think this deserves to stay on the market.

Blame: I never got to finish it so I would like to see it keep going. So far, from how far i was, it was really good.

Beck: I really like this manga. It's just a fun and entertaining read and I'd hate to see it go away.

Lupin III: Come on, this is a classic. America needs the Lupin III manga now more than ever! And while we're at it lets get the anime back here too.

Jaymie, I think Narutaru is owned by Dark Horse so it should be fine for now if I'm not mistaken.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:00 am Reply with quote
I'd love to see Planetes and Beck rescued. And I'd really like Viz to do another printing of Phoenix and Neon Genesis Evangelion. If Dark Horse published the rest of Narutaru (unedited), that would be cool too.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:18 am Reply with quote
stuckinfresno wrote:

This was just rescued by Vertical.

My turn:

Oh, so so many.

CMX:

Swan
From Eroica with Love
Two Flowers for the Dragon
Apothecarius Argentum (ended on a cliffhanger!)

TOKYOPOP:

Your & My Secret (... I really want to know if they'll go back or not)
The Secret Notebooks of Lady Kanoko
VB Rose (this one I actually picked up the Japanese volumes at TP's garage sale just so I could look at the pictures for v. 13 & 14)
Gakuen Alice
Suppli (such a good josei manga)
Aria
The Stellar Six of Gingacho
Silver Diamond
Demon Sacred
Maid-sama

It's so frustrating that so many of these only had 1 or 2 more volumes to go until completed. I really don't want to read scanlations, but I don't really like not knowing how they ended, especially the ones so close to finishing.

I wonder if anyone is going to pick up the shoujo slack these two companies left behind. Sad
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:46 am Reply with quote
Tokyopop
Immortal rain
Future Diary
Good Witch of the West

All three series are only a few volumes away from finishing. Future Diary and Good Witch of the West only need one more, IIRC. So frustrating Anime hyper

CMX
Apothcarius Argentum
Two Flowers for the Dragon
From Eroica with Love
Swan

Swan and From Eroica with Love, yeah, that's never ever ever going to happen, but I have the right to dream, damnit! Sad

But Apothecarius Argentum and Two Flowers for the Dragon, that's not impossible, right? The licenses should be fairly cheap. Hey, Viz, why not release them in omnibus format? I'd rebuy them, I swear!

Del Rey (?)
Nodame Cantabile
Alive

Dark Horse
Narutaru

Quote:
One of these days, I'm going to have to breakdown and learn Japanese. Smile

Or French. That would solve a lot of your problems too.

Speaking of French, Doki Doki just started publishing Immortal Rain. I think I'm going to buy that edition... And maybe I'll buy the final volume of Future Diary in German.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:37 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Del Rey (?)
Nodame Cantabile

Um ... what? Del Rey is still publishing Nodame Cantabile.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
It is? I was pretty sure it was one of those titles that ended up in limbo after Kodansha took over most of Del Rey's catalogue. So, when is volume 17 coming out?
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
stuckinfresno wrote:

This was just rescued by Vertical.

Woohoo! You made my day. I appreciate the update.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:14 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
It is? I was pretty sure it was one of those titles that ended up in limbo after Kodansha took over most of Del Rey's catalogue. So, when is volume 17 coming out?

Okay, so unfortunately it looks like you might be right, though I don't see any indications online that Del Rey doesn't still hold the license. Volume 17 definitely only has placeholder release dates though, when I can find information about it at all.

But there doesn't seem to be anywhere that says the license has been lost so what exactly is going on isn't clear.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote
Speaking of license limbo, I wish Kodansha would say if they're going to continue Moyashimon or not. I want moorrrrrrrrreeeee. Sad

Oh yeah, and DMP's Worst, where they printed 3 volumes before realizing BL was this huge untapped market and dropped anything not BL. I think this is officially on "hiatus" although vol. 3 was published in like 2005. It's really sad, 'cause I like DMP and think their publications are very nice, but I've outgrown BL (except for Fumi Yoshinaga), so I'm not really buying anything from them.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Tamaria wrote:

Okay, so unfortunately it looks like you might be right, though I don't see any indications online that Del Rey doesn't still hold the license. Volume 17 definitely only has placeholder release dates though, when I can find information about it at all.

But there doesn't seem to be anywhere that says the license has been lost so what exactly is going on isn't clear.

You really got my hopes up for a moment Razz

As far as I know Kodansha holds the license, but they haven't announced they're actually going to do anything with it. There is already a list of ex-Del Rey titles they'll continue publishing, but Nodame Cantabile isn't on it and their release schedule is pretty much filled up until September/October.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4