• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GameStop Anime Blowout - 50% Off All New Titles!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Right now, all GameStop branches have marked down their entire stock of anime DVDs by 1/2 price. Apparently, the store chain will stop selling anime as it sees little or no profit on it.

Just thought I'd give you all a heads-up on the sale. BTW, I work at the one in Northridge, CA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:57 am Reply with quote
Does your GameStop have it where brand new DVDs have the price tags on them without a protective plastic cover (the wrap, not the casing)?

One of the things that always bugged me about buying DVDs from a GameStop is that all the ones I've been to around here don't have a protective covering between the case and price tag, which makes it REAL bothersome to peel off the plastic cover on the case. Mad
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:06 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
BTW, I work at the one in Northridge, CA.

There are two in Northridge, CA. One is within Northridge Fashion Center and the other one is across the street (Groves Shopping Center?). Which one?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:28 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
There are two in Northridge, CA. One is within Northridge Fashion Center and the other one is across the street (Groves Shopping Center?). Which one?

The one at the NFC.

Last edited by areaseven on Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Does your GameStop have it where brand new DVDs have the price tags on them without a protective plastic cover (the wrap, not the casing)?

One of the things that always bugged me about buying DVDs from a GameStop is that all the ones I've been to around here don't have a protective covering between the case and price tag, which makes it REAL bothersome to peel off the plastic cover on the case. Mad

If you're talking about shrinkwrapping, yeah. Basically, whenever GameStop receives new titles, it's standard procedure to open one copy to use the case as a display unit. The disc (plus additional contents) is placed in a protective sleeve and filed in a drawer.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:16 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
If you're talking about shrinkwrapping, yeah. Basically, whenever GameStop receives new titles, it's standard procedure to open one copy to use the case as a display unit. The disc (plus additional contents) is placed in a protective sleeve and filed in a drawer.

Yes, yes. "Shrinkwrap" is the word (it left my mind for some reason... Anime smile + sweatdrop). Anyway, I meant that I've actually received brand new DVDs before that had NO shrinkwrap. I had to try and peel off the pricetag from the casing itself.

The case looked real tacky ever since, and I was kind of ticked at how bad it looked.
Vekou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, damn. I'm gonna have to stop by one of the three in my city...
Rundi-kun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:18 pm Reply with quote
You can always use lighter fluid to get the tags off. That's what I usually do.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Probably a good reason why they don't make an appreciable profit on anime is because people go there to buy games and related merchandise.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:30 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Probably a good reason why they don't make an appreciable profit on anime is because people go there to buy games and related merchandise.

In the past, many customers bought anime at GameStop if there was no Suncoast around. But since then, they've traded their titles in for either GameBuck$ (store credit), new/used games, or just cash. And then, there are the electronics retailers like Best Buy and Circuit City, who sell anime for less because they don't care if they lose money from DVD sales. As a result, anime fans abandoned GameStop (and, to a certain extent, Suncoast) for better deals.

Surprisingly, GameStop also sells Shonen Jump. Don't know for how long, though.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:41 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
The case looked real tacky ever since, and I was kind of ticked at how bad it looked.

You can always replace the DVD case. I switched mine with slim cases. They're nearly half as thick, enabling you to store more titles on one shelf. Of course, you'll need to trim the cover edges a bit, but they end up looking better than in regular cases.

But if the movie is in a proprietary paper packaging (i.e. Metropolis, most Warner Bros. titles), then you'll need to use lighter fluid to remove the pricetags.
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this is also in effect for Farmington Hills in Michigan!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I belive this is nation wide. It's only for new dvd, not used one (they have a lot of used one). The seletion was very small, so hopefuly your gamestop stock average. Average price per dvd is 12.00 (50% off 24)
nagash

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:55 am Reply with quote
Does this sale also apply to box sets?

The one I go to has a few sets, so this would be a nice change to get them.
The one I go carries a lot of anime items. I'm in MA, and the store is in Saugus. I pick up NewType USA there, and they have all the anime based games. I have noticed, though, that a lot of the actual anime DVDs have been sitting on the shelf for a long time. You put those on sale and they will move (again, if someone can buy the box set for half off, they probably will).
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:25 am Reply with quote
nagash wrote:
Does this sale also apply to box sets?

Yes. All anime DVDs, including boxed sets and limited edition packages (i.e. Gunparade March vol. 1 tin case) are part of the sale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2