• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sub vs. Dub statistics?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure we've all been through our share of sub vs. dub debates/arguments/flame wars, but is there any definitive statistics on who watches what? Do most fans really watch subs, or is it a loud minority that skews perception? Does everyone really hate re-dubbed songs, or are there more people who like it than we realize? How many are indifferent, or just slightly prefer on to another?

Many people cite anecdotal evidence on this, but an online forum is by no means an accurate way to gage these things. So, anyone know if there are any hard numbers on this? Hey ANN, wanna get into the scientific polling business Wink

"And the latest ANN/Gallup tracking poll indicates. . . "
Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I watch both. I tend to watch the anime in dub first then in sub. I know many people who watch it only in dub. THen I also know a few people who despise dubs and only watch subs. Those people are crazy weird otaku no offense to otaku but these people are weird. WHile I respect that they only watch subs I think they should not bash dubs that are really good. I saw them watching fruits basket (they were watching a bootleg of it) and when one of them put on the dvd(this was at school) she immediatly changed it to sub as soon as she heard the dub in disgust.(it was a ripoff of the real english region 1 dub). Anyways I dont see why she has to switch likes its forbidden to listen to dubs. ALso I think she is an obsessed otuku mainly because it japanese class she ONLY TALKS IN JAPANESE LIKE SHE IS A CUTE GIRLY ANIME CHARACTER. I find that weird only because when she speaks in English she speaks in a normal voice yet in japanese she changes to make herself sound like a little anime girl. I know that most japanese people dont talk like that so when she goes to Japan(which she will since we are taking a trip there) she will be suprised the vast majority of people will find it weird she talks like that. ANd that is why I think people shouldnt bash dubs or subs. Sorry for almost getting off topic
Animefan16

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Ramen wrote:
Do most fans really watch subs, or is it a loud minority that skews perception? Does everyone really hate re-dubbed songs, or are there more people who like it than we realize? How many are indifferent, or just slightly prefer on to another?

I never thought about that. I prefer dubs but I always thought the sub-lovers were the majority since they were the most outspoken and loud.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, it's difficult to really collect hard data on something like this through an internet forum. What makes it even more difficult is the fact that anime is a niche market, so there isn't any "real" reseach out there to be able to create an accurate and thoroughly reasearched scientific poll.

But for one moment, let's use a little logic and common sense. One thing we can factor in is that there is much more anime on TV now than there was 5 years ago. There is much more exposure, creating the opportunity to garner more fans. In fact, I'd say that there are many more fans now as a result of it being shown on TV. Since almost all of the televised anime is dubbed, it stands to reason that the majority of fans (most of them relatively "new" due to the exposure) prefer to watch it in dubbed format. As far as dubbed songs go? I doubt that most anime fans actually care about that. Most are probably indifferent about the songs, and most also probably want to hear their anime in their native language.

It's usually the "artsy" folks and the critics that want to hear/watch, etc. in the original language, simply because for many, it makes them feel superior or "different" for some reason. Others watch it based on an intellectual choice, wanting to gain some greater understanding of the original intent of the storytellers. Even so, regardless of the reasons, I'd say that the group(s) I've mentioned here are still in the minority, now matter how you cut it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ramen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Unfortunately, it's difficult to really collect hard data on something like this through an internet forum. What makes it even more difficult is the fact that anime is a niche market, so there isn't any "real" reseach out there to be able to create an accurate and thoroughly reasearched scientific poll.

I have no idea what it would take, logistically, to get a scientific poll, but I think you are probably right. It would just be nice to be able to point to something more substantive than "my friend says this" or " everyone I know says that."
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I believe it depends on the show and the VO acting talent.

Many have great teams and scriptwriters that work hard to keep the intent of the original version, along with the right casting of characters. (Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop)

Some stick to the original story, but add some new lines to the ADR dub version that makes sense when you see both. (Steel Angel Kurumi, Read or Die)

Then you have the dubs that are written by scriptwriters who heavily change or otherwise mangle the original intent of the show. Cardcaptor Sakura vs. Cardcaptors is the best illustration of this. In fact, grab the Cardcaptor Sakura: The Movie DVD (not Cardcaptors: The Movie) and run the Cardcaptors English dub with the Cardcaptor Sakura subtitles. (It's crazy how much Nelvana mangled it.)

So, I believe it to be whatever version appeals to you. The subtitled versions give you the "true" story, but sometimes the dubbed version really does work.
gnollman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't really care, frankly. As long as I can get a sub or raw version without bastardization of the OP and ED pieces, I don't care who watches what.

I almost exclusively watch my anime raw, but then, I'm one of the rare people who are anime fans and actually speak the language. I'll watch subs if the show uses a lot of technical mumbo-jumbo (like NGE) or a lot of military terms that I don't know. Or if I'm just feeling lazy....

I do occasionally watch dubs, though, but usually only out of curiousity, and generally only on one or two episodes. I think Abenobashi was the only one I've watched all the dubs on, simply because they did such a good job on the dub, much to my great surprise.
Shinotaku14
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I hope you're not really looking for "numbers" because if you are I have a feeling you're going to come up short. Assuming you did get some data on this it would be qualitative not quantitative. The people will either like dislike or be indifferent to subs/dubs. Those are your only options. Basically....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:17 am Reply with quote
I suppose all I can say is that I prefer a good dub over a bad dub. Take Cowboy Bebop for example. The dub is excellent. I'd say I might even prefer the English dub over the subs, especially in the movie. The dub script is more lively while the sub script is just dead. If I don't like the dub, I'll take the sub if at all possible, but If I'm busy doing something else and don't want to take the time to read the TV screen, then I might still go with the dub.
AHZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:35 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
It's usually the "artsy" folks and the critics that want to hear/watch, etc. in the original language, simply because for many, it makes them feel superior or "different" for some reason. Others watch it based on an intellectual choice, wanting to gain some greater understanding of the original intent of the storytellers.

Ain't that the truth. I hear a lot of that going on.
The bottom line is that you should watch whatever version you enjoy. Personally, I watch both sub and dub versions. Sometimes I'll watch the dub first, then the sub; other times it's the opposite order. I think it's interesting to view the changes made (if any) between the two formats. I don't take it seriously like some fans do.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I go on a case by case basis. I'll always watch it subbed first, and depending on who is dubbing it, I'll have higher or lower standards.

Yes, I know it's not very fair sometimes, but it's just my "thing," I suppose (sorry ADV Sad).

There are quite a few dubs I think range from decent to excellent, but for the most part, I grade them my own personal criteria, while (trying) to keep a separate rating for how I think casual anime fans may like it (which is really difficult to do sometimes, since I really don't like a lot of ADV's work, again, I'm sorry ADV Anime cry).
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I prefer dubs, usually. You don't have to read subs to be "hardcore" or non passive, its a personal preference.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Guys, please read what Ramen said carefully before you reply:
Ramen wrote:
I'm sure we've all been through our share of sub vs. dub debates/arguments/flame wars, but is there any definitive statistics on who watches what?
Ramen wrote:
So, anyone know if there are any hard numbers on this?

With my current searching capability, I found that there are people talking about demographic groups, but no serious discussion has taken place yet. No scientific statistical analysis either.

Designing a good set of poll questions is not as easy as

Which one do you prefer?
1) Dub
2) Sub
3) Both

The result from this kind of poll is basically useless. Maybe we can work together and design a good one similar to ManzyChan's questionnaire. Any ANN user with statistical background?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ramen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:05 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Guys, please read what Ramen said carefully before you reply:

Thank you for that. Yes, my intention is not to start another sub vs. dub discussion, per se (although I admit I expected it to turn into one). I am curious about actual data. Data that I assume doesn't currently exist.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Back when VHS sold more than DVDs, the last stats I remember hearing (can't provide a source though) was that dubs sold 4 or 5 times more than subs. But part of that difference may have been due to the subtitled version being more expensive and therefore causing people without a strong attachment to subs to buy the dubbed version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3