• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can Super Milk Chan survive?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaGreatKobe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:32 am Reply with quote
had anyone seen the dub....?im pretty unfamiliar with the show but i read up on it and it seems like a waste of airtime. i hear that alot of the original wouldnt translate too well to an american audience. anyone have any idea on how the dubbed version is? and its like a gag comedy type anime right?
Golgo13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:11 am Reply with quote
SMC's Americanized dub is hilarious with tons of pop culture references. Sadly, that version will not be aired due to the extreme cussing. The faithful dubbed version being aired will keep in all the original Japanese cultural jokes that not too many people will get.

The show does fit nicely in with shows like Sealab 2021 and Aqua Teen. One episode has the president get cranky after a dream about his people betraying him, so he fires a missile on his own country and calls Milk Chan to help stop the rocket, but he ends up talking with her about unrelated matters until it's too late.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:58 am Reply with quote
Golgo13 wrote:
The faithful dubbed version being aired will keep in all the original Japanese cultural jokes that not too many people will get.

Like I said in the last SMC topic, people don't get the cultural jokes in our own shows on AS, this isn't going to make any difference.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:36 pm Reply with quote
A lot of times, I don't get the references in Family Guy, so it will be nothing new.
emory

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Golgo13 wrote:
SMC's Americanized dub is hilarious with tons of pop culture references. Sadly, that version will not be aired due to the extreme cussing.

Actually they gave the reasons why they won't air that version on the air:

1 - They think the ADV live segments are stupid.
2 - Their favorite repeating line "You dumbass!" is omitted from the Americanized dub.
3 - It's all wacky and Japanese, so who cares anyway?
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Good, I f***ing hate americanized versions with stupid US pop culture references. Usually, they'll just choose the most temporary references they can think of and they'll all be outdated and jarring as hek by the time it hits DVD.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:37 pm Reply with quote
^^^

And references from Japan are eternally "fresh" and "hip"???
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:56 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Good, I f***ing hate americanized versions with stupid US pop culture references. Usually, they'll just choose the most temporary references they can think of and they'll all be outdated and jarring as hek by the time it hits DVD.

Except that, as I understand it, the Americanized version of Super Milk Chan isn't a serious Americanization. Just ADV having fun.
Golgo13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:49 pm Reply with quote
...and surprisingly, some of the references are quite on contact. There was a joke in the first DVD about Ghosts of the Abyss that was released just 2 months before the SMC DVD came out.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Except that, as I understand it, the Americanized version of Super Milk Chan isn't a serious Americanization. Just ADV having fun.

This is why its bad. They think they can just go over board with it. The most important thing is perserving the intention of the creator. If theres a Japanese reference that noone from the English world would understand, its ok. However, alot of times they'll just insert stupid references in randomly where there was no Japanese cultural references in the first place.
Anti-Mainstreamist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I can't comment on the two versions, as I have seen neither. I wasn't exited about this originally, but then I saw the ad during ROD. If it's that insane, I'll watch it. Insane shows are fun, just like Ren and Stimpy and Invader Zim were fun for me, this may be too.
What were they saying anyway?
Sushi, Sushi, Sushi
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:13 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Quote:

This is why its bad. They think they can just go over board with it. The most important thing is perserving the intention of the creator. If theres a Japanese reference that noone from the English world would understand, its ok. However, alot of times they'll just insert stupid references in randomly where there was no Japanese cultural references in the first place.

My point was that they did two versions and the Americanized version is not to be taken seriously.
Maverick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:36 pm Reply with quote
no it cant it a horrible show and a waste of air time Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Depression

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I think that it is still funny even if I don't get all the pop cultural jokes that they are making. It just how the president is completely incompetent and has to have a 5 year-old child save the day.
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Without a guide to all the jokes, it's just boring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2