• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Essence

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akemi_Idaku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking for more information about Essence: the Artwork of Yoshitoshi Abe. If anyone knows a good site to buy this from or to find info on please let me know, thanks.
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:47 pm Reply with quote
A Yoshitobe Abe's Artbook? That does really promise...Anime smile
Akemi_Idaku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Heh heh, it's been out since 2001 though.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Sarki-Kun wrote:
A Yoshitobe Abe's Artbook? That does really promise...^_^

'Artbook' is stretching the term by quite a lot. In actuality, Essence (released in the US by what was then C.B. Cebulski's Fanboy Entertainment) is about fifteen pages of black-and-white Haibane Renmei character concept sketches, and another fifty or so pages of general art that is not related to any title ABe worked on. The ISBN for Essence is 0-9679835-1-5, and at this point, your best bet is to dig around the back issues bins of your local comic shop...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shinotaku14
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm under the impression that this is a prety hot little item and as such is realy hard to get ahold of. anywhere.
But I did find this : http://www.animebooks.com/harearyoabei.html
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Akemi_Idaku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for that info, but I'm a little clueless as to what ISBN is. Could you fill me in? Thanks.

Akemi
Akemi_Idaku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Do you have a site for Fanboy Entertainment? The one I found listed on Essence's information page is a dead link. If you find one please let me know, meanwhile I'll be looking around for one.
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:51 am Reply with quote
Isn't the ISBN number what registers a product and gives to the distributor the rights of it? ...
bnewhall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Sarki-Kun wrote:
Isn't the ISBN number what registers a product and gives to the distributor the rights of it? ...

The first part is correct; the second part is not. An ISBN is simply a universal ID number for a book. It does not give rights in any way. That said, an ISBN is divided into two parts: a publisher part and a book part. Each publisher gets a unique ID number, then each book that the publisher publishes gets an ID number tacked on to create an ISBN. So, to get an ISBN, you need to contact somebody with a publisher ID (note that some companies are set up purely to provide people with ISBNs, and are not traditional publishers).

CorneredAngel is technically incorrect about Essence containing Haibane Renmei character concept sketches. ABe had been sketching haibane long before creating the series. Essence contains about fifteen pages of haibane drawings. None of the characters in Essence are recognizably from the Haibane Renmei series. None of it is even concept art for the series itself; they're just sketches ABe drew over the years before coming up with the idea for the show.

That said, it's a great little book.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Akemi_Idaku wrote:
Do you have a site for Fanboy Entertainment?

http://www.fanboyinc.com/

Google is your friend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:30 am Reply with quote
I may be wrong, but didn't Fanboy basically die once C.B. Cebulski jumped over to Marvel?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1