• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Ent. Adds Star Driver Kagayaki no Takuto Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Well this isn't suprising in the least. I guess now we just have to wonder if it will be dubbed or not. With Bandai it's hard to tell these days. I have no issues with bluray singles, but if that's the route they choose, I hope they do some sort of LE and don't totally botch them like Kurokami and K-On!.

If it is dubbed, I'll expect something around the quality level of K-On!. Good performances, but ultimately questionable casting that leave the dub so-so. Maybe they can prove me wrongl but given the dubs coming from Bang Zoom, Ocean, and Funimation the past two years, I've given up any hope of anything truly good and have learned to lower my expectations accordingly.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Zags wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Meh, the show was a gigantic disappointment for me. Good for people that like it, though. I guess.

This. That series had so much wasted potential.

Every series does. There's something called limitations here. First and best known, money, and second, time. If you insist on comparing this to something like Utena, I'll say nothing about quality, but just that I've been stalled on the second - third episode of Utena for the past 2-3 months besides my lack of interest in its setting for the past 4 years.
mediaright

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, there goes another show I won't be watching a dub of.

I'm convinced at this point that Bandai has preferencial treatment for all shows it has a merch. deal with in Japan. I'd pinpoint it to ever since TTGL. I talked to Adam some time before it started airing. Funi was at a number of cons where it was being plugged and premiered. And he said they loved that director and team, and then nothing on the simulcast front. This has to be BANDAI policy or I'm sure Funi would have done a simulcast if-possible.

Seriously, Bangzoom is meh. It's not horrible, but I just won't watch a dub from them because that's all it will be: mediocre.

Was kinda hoping Funi got it because they'd at-least do a "good" job dubbing it. Alas.

Also, another Bandai gripe: horrible packaging. I'm going to have to sell off the rest of my TTGL set for the thinpack because it takes up so much space, whereas Funi does things so much more economically and with so much more quality. Shame.

I do like this show though. Story's obviously all over the place, but I love the characters, art, music, directing, etc. Technically, BONES at their finest.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
They are also releasing The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya movie this Summer on DVD/Blu-ray. Source.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, I can't wait to check it out! Cool
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I seen this coming I hope they at less dub it
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first 4 episodes, but I won't buy it unless they dub it. Mad

Kinda makes me wonder if Bandai is running out of money with cause they seem to be subtitling anime these days... unless they are taking pointers from Sentai not to dub a series unless the title sells well maybe?? Confused
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
If you insist on comparing this to something like Utena, I'll say nothing about quality, but just that I've been stalled on the second - third episode of Utena for the past 2-3 months besides my lack of interest in its setting for the past 4 years.

Your loss -- it's one of the best anime series ever, and miles ahead of this series, with its overly-large cast of undeveloped characters, unresolved plot lines, over-the-top fanservice, and dull-as-heck villains.

But then again, we've established long ago that your tastes in anime are different than mine, so...
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
This news just made my day. Count me in for a Bandai dub, but regardless of whether it gets one or not I'm still definitely buying this anime. It was so much fun.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Seriously, Bangzoom is meh. It's not horrible, but I just won't watch a dub from them because that's all it will be: mediocre.
That's largely my sentiment, though Bang-Zoom has had a few good dubs that could be mentioned. (Albeit dubs that were for shows which came in under the radar.) Their behind-the-scenes DVD provide elucidating insight on reasons for their largely lackluster dubs: Their casting director speaks poor English, and it appears to be her second language. Many of their actors admit that they don't take the medium of anime seriously, and some outright admit that they don't like the genre one iota. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, Bang/Zoom uses the "4 beeps and then go" method of dubbing, instead of playing the lines from the show which precede the lines currently being dubbed and allowing the actors to use them as a cue, resulting in a more organic & mellifluous dub. ADV & Funimation use lines spoken by preceding dubbers to cue the current dub actor. So in dubbing a conversation, the actors at those companies get the previous line of the conversation to build off of, as opposed to flying off of 4 emotionless beeps. Perhaps this is why the infamous Witch Hunter Robin dub was very flat, and the emotions were quite wrong. During the middle of chewing someone out, characters would then switch to a laid-back casual tone, which did not jibe. Speaking again of the DVD, on it Crispin Freeman states that he got into dubs to better them, so it is quite ironic that he was heavily involved in the Robin dub. Admittedly he was not the director, so it was not his fault, but I still find it interesting.
Quote:
Takuya Igarashi (Soul Eater, Ouran High School Host Club) directed the series with screenwriter Yoji Enokido (Revolutionary Girl Utena, Aim for the Top 2! Gunbuster 2), character designer Yoshiyuki Ito (Fullmetal Alchemist, Soul Eater), and composer Satoru Kousaki (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Bakemonogatari).
We are the great creators of anime, and when our powers combine, we give you the most cliched show ever! They said that HeroMan was a cut-and-dry, by-the-numbers anime, and while it is, it was not as banal as this show.

Why Bandai, why? You once gave us Outlaw Star & Planetes...now you give us Sora Kake Girl, SiFR, and now this. The first 2 don't even have dubs to try and redeem them. There was light at the end of the tunnel when you told us of the coming of Tales of the Abyss, but then you want and dropped the ball with the dub. For shame. A manga is at least more than Sentai gives us when they do sub-only, but Sentai has the excuse of size. Bandai, you are a huge conglomerate, there is no excuse.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere, the JesuOtaku is dancing happily, I just think it's great that someone finally licensed Star Driver.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
Was kinda hoping Funi got it because they'd at-least do a "good" job dubbing it.

This has got to be a first, Bangzoom is mediocre but Funimation(about as close to fandubs as you can get) are "good". Crying or Very sad
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:11 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Somewhere, the JesuOtaku is dancing happily, I just think it's great that someone finally licensed Star Driver.

Having never seen Star Driver unless something changes in me between now and when it gets released I don't know if I will be adding it to my collection. Hey fans of the series, great to hear that a show you like is getting released. Hopefully if gets a dub it will be good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:

Having never seen Star Driver unless something changes in me between now and when it gets released I don't know if I will be adding it to my collection. Hey fans of the series, great to hear that a show you like is getting released. Hopefully if gets a dub it will be good.

JesuOtaku mentions it a lot and if they stream it, I would watch the streams, I'm on a "No fansub" imposed ban for myself, since I don't want to watch something illegally, not like it, and then feel obligated to buy it because I watched it illegally.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Was kinda hoping Funi got it because they'd at-least do a "good" job dubbing it.

This has got to be a first, Bangzoom is mediocre but Funimation(about as close to fandubs as you can get) are "good". Crying or Very sad
I think your "." needs to be a "?!", as currently it took me a second to see that you are actually railing against Funimation, putting them BELOW Bang-Zoom. At least, that is what I believe you are claiming.

Claiming, as there is no way Funimation is below Bang-Zoom. Funimation has had some dubs that weren't exemplar, but they've never had an atrocious dub to my knowledge, while Bang-Zoom wallows in mediocrity and horror. Mai-Otome, Mai-HiME, Witch Hunter Robin, and Vandread. Horrendous dubs (though great shows.) Where are 4 Funimation titles that have fallen that low on dub quality?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5