• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Rurouni Kenshin Anime Green-Lit

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

Now the Champloo dub is great. Lots of care went into the actors chosen, they all had excellent inflections, and the script and dialogue speed matched up well as an English-language production. Kudos to whoever directed that one (long live Geneon).

Here, here! In fact one of the reasons I was so sad when Geneon inevitably kicked the bucket was because in my book Geneon held the gambit for top notched dubs. If it was a dub from Geneon, you just knew it would be good, with adv dubs coming in second, either funi or viz in the 3rd and 4th positions (it almost doesn't matter since their quality tends to be a mixed basket) and MB in last (not that they don't have any good dubs, they just have a lot of dubs with wooden performances, or very bizarre casting). I die a little inside knowing the only way we'll get a dubbed anime these days is if funi dubs it, and their consistency with casting to characters is so hit-miss it's upsetting along with their tendency to cast the same 5 people in every work they dub.

My ranting aside, I didn't want to mention it before because I didn't want to rock the boat, but I always found Kenshin's dub to be between mediocre and subpar, mediocre at it's best, subpar at it's worst. It's definitely watchable but there are quite a few cringe worthy line deliveries especially in the first season and the filler episodes, it starts to pick up into a steady stride in the kyoto arc though. So I guess I in the minority in this thread who would completely not mind if the kenshin dub cast isn't brought back and if a few people were recasted (I know I'm in the minority when I say I wasn't a fan of Kaoru's voice and I don't much like her VA in anything she does).
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
SecretAgent94 wrote:
The arc I hate with a passion would definitely have to be the Christian Arc. I think we can all agree that that arc is terrible and had nothing to do with what Rurouni Kenshin is about.

Aaaahhh oh man, why'd you remind me of that one? Very Happy That arc was SO bad! Yuck! That one was probably the worst of the post-Kyoto filler arcs, though I didn't really like any of them, especially after the high drama that was Kyoto. That one mini-arc about the guy who wanted to send stuff to the moon and his mortal enemy the fencing dude was kind of so dorky it was kind of cute, though.

Also, boo, dub drama. The old MB dub is totally my nostalgia jam and I always listen to it out of habit, but I'm not gonna lie, a recast and better direction couldn't hurt.
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I vaguely remember from that arc Kenshin having a stare-down with the antagonist that was so agonizingly brutal; I remember thinking it was near DBZ-level of dragging things out.

Recast? No way, the voices were perfectly cast the 1st time IMO! Others would beg to differ. Better direction? Perhaps!

I hope "Freckles" shows up in some way, shape or form in the new anime!

Last edited by SecretAgent94 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I want a remake a la FMA Brotherhood! Very Happy
Iritscen
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
Did he apologize for the conclusion to the fight in some of the manga notes?

It's in the notes at the end of Act 43, in Volume 6, but if you don't have, or feel like pulling out, the manga, there's a good summary of what Watsuki wrote in the Wikipedia entry for Raijuta: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isurugi_Raijuta. He didn't actually say "I'm sorry", but it's pretty close to an apology Smile
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Yay!! This is smashing news. Personally I'm agreeing with everyone who is dreaming of a reboot a la Brotherhood. That would be absolutely phenomenal!

And wow, I was beginning to think that I was the only Western fan around who preferred the Japanese track to the dub, but I find that I am not alone! Usually, I'm pretty generous when it comes to dubs, but Rurouni Kenshin's just made me cringe. And I never understood all the hate for Kenshin's seiyuu. I always loved what she did with the character.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
As bad as Raijuta was in the manga, the anime was a lot worse removing the best scenes from the arc, and replacing it with the whole "Swordsmen vs Gunmen" battle which was simply ridiculous. Most filler was better than the Raijuta arc in the anime.

Can we honestly stop with the whole sub vs dub debate here? It's just causing a lot of people to get angry over what should be a thread for celebration.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Could you please tone it down with the rudeness.

No.

Charred Knight wrote:
Can we honestly stop with the whole sub vs dub debate here? It's just causing a lot of people to get angry over what should be a thread for celebration.

Sure.
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
There is one thing I'm sure we are all look forward to for sure regardless of voice performance preferences..

Kenshin in HD!!!! WOOOOOOOOO!

Last edited by SecretAgent94 on Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
anemayfan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote
Yay! More Rurouni Kenshin!
keyinjpop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote
This show was my childhood. man. Wink

I'm happy as hell. If they do a reboot, I wouldn't mind but it must include the Jinchu arc. Soundtrack should be good too.

This, after so much loli and moe, would be such a wonderful treat and best of all, if they do a reboot, no 13 episode run like a lot of today's anime.

KENSHIN FTW!!! Very Happy
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
UPDATE: Possible preview of what Kenshin will look like in the new series here.

(It's google-translated from the Japanese website so the grammer does not quite make sense.

The caption for the picture translated via Google Translate:

Quote:
"Rurouni Kenshin animated TV 15th Anniversary Project" Kibijuaru (C) Japanese Hiroshi Shin Mon / Shueisha Fuji TV Aniplex

So this confirms that we are indeed looking at a TV series. Cool stuff, cool stuff.

Last edited by SecretAgent94 on Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Kitsune26

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Awesome!! Can't wait to hear more about this, I agree on getting as many of the original cast as possible!! Very Happy
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I would rather they update Kenshin's look to be more accurate to how Watsuki drew it like they did with Brotherhood. By volume 3 Kenshin looked more masculine than that.
opn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
looking at the image and info under it im guessing its either by toei with aniplex distributeing it or a-1 pictures with it airing on noitamina. and if its the later it would be at max 24 episodes. Evil or Very Mad but i do admit the picture is quite beautifull and it could also be bones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13