• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Director Osamu Dezaki Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keikanna44

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
I loved both the Clannad and Air films. Rest in Peace. My condolences to his family and friends.
DoktorZetsubou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote
Wow, this is very sad news...
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
Tratious wrote:
Osamu Dezaki is also one of the co-founders of Madhouse.
Wow I did not know that. But thinking back it seems to make sense, being lots of his works have themes that are in line with themes of many Madhouse titles (probably my favorite studio next to Pierrot and Ghibli).

Truly another significant loss in the anime world.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote
As a fan of anime-behind-the-scene, I'm deeply sadden by the fact that he met untimely death.

Osamu Dezaki is one of the greatest innovators in animation technique, not just anime. His camera works are practically the standard text for most of fledgling anime directors. We see his pioneered techniques on just about all TV anime titles.

Wouldn't you all agree that he should be recorded on annals of worldwide animation art history?
DCR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:21 am Reply with quote
Damn... This guy made a large part of my childhood anime... Versailles no Bara, Cobra, Remi, Treasure Island.
Poor Akio Sugino, he lost his half.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote
Levits:
Quote:
I'm surprised Leiji Matsumoto is still around.

I'm more surprised that Chiba outlived Dezaki.

I hope there's no "curse" at Madhouse right now, but I think in some ways this one hits me in a different way than Kon, because I grew up with a lot of Dezaki stuff which was more readily available in the U.S. and the U.K. than Kon's movies at the time. We didn't get Versailles or the original Cobra series, but the stuff we did get was equally memorable and iconic in its own way. Plus, it served as gateway stuff for older fans. I was hoping he'd do a U.S. tour one of these days, too. BTW, I always wondered whatever happened to that domestic release of the Ultraviolet anime. R.I.P., my man. You were awesome.

Last edited by GATSU on Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Jacut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:01 am Reply with quote
One of the last legends of anime has left us. Rest in peace, Dezaki-san.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TopGunman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:08 am Reply with quote
He should've quit that disgusting habit, and Japan should enforce more strict laws on smoking. It's not even surprising that he's dead especially since ALL Marlboro mascots died young and had some form of cancer.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:23 am Reply with quote
This isn't exactly the time to talk about cigarette smoking.

While Osamu Dezaki's greatest works are before my time, he will still be missed having been an important pioneer, and beloved Director.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:18 am Reply with quote
Sad news indeed, but being a long-time anime fan unfortunately leads to days like this where great directors you have grown up admiring and watching their work, will sadly pass.
Such a shame, but hopefully the guy has insipred more than just fans, but upcoming directors as well, which could in turn go on to reach such a status in the anime business.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sad news indeed, but being a long-time anime fan unfortunately leads to days like this where great directors you have grown up admiring and watching their work, will sadly pass.
Such a shame, but hopefully the guy has insipred more than just fans, but upcoming directors as well, which could in turn go on to reach such a status in the anime business.

Talking about Kon? Because without the foundation of MADHOUSE, we wouldn't have a studio that gave the support comparable to what Kon needed...
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:12 am Reply with quote
Such a shme to see a true legend like this pass away. Considering how he worked on some episodes of the original Astro Boy anime Dezaki was a man who was in this industry since the "beginning" (in relative terms, since Astro is generally considered the "first anime").

I just thought about checking out Ace wo Nerae! soon too... His death really makes me wish that we had more of his early & iconic work released over here; only having the first compilation movie of Ashita no Joe is a shame compared to getting the full story, for example.

Discotek's upcoming re-release of Golgo 13: The Professional just got higher priority now. And no one can mention Sword for Truth ever again...
coral422

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:48 am Reply with quote
Rest in peace man, you have lived your life well. Tezuka would be more than happy to see you again.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
TERRIBLE news. While I haven't see a lot of the classic works he is famous for, I have read about them and understand their significance. I think I, too, will stop putting off Remi now.
rag

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:18 pm Reply with quote
This man was really an innovator back in the early seventies with Joe (defined the sports genre), Ace wo nerae (defined Shoujo anime genre) and other masterpieces such as Takarajima, Remi and Rose Of Versailles.

Too bad that the same industry that he molded was foregetting about him these times, but he'll live forever througb his works!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4