• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Angel Beats! Fantasy TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZipZapZopTitania

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh gawd, Sentai. I'm going to HURT somebody. (Seriously, I'm still seething.)

I knew FUNi was a long shot, but a girl can dream, right? But really...Sentai was at the bottom of my possible company list (which only had three companies on it. o_O).

BEFORE YOU DUB IT, SENTAI, LEARN TO MATCH LIP FLAPS! And PLEASE, for the love of GirlDeMo...just pick a good cast...please...I beg of you. And speaking of GirlDeMo...oh. Shoot. If you dub them at all, the lyrics had better make sense or so help me YOU WILL PERISH.

Damn. Now they're going to charge me fifty bucks! I still don't even have the second half of Romeo X Juliet (which, Lord knows, is hard enough to find now). As much as I *dislike* Sentai, this IS my favorite anime, so I'm just gritting my teeth and going ahead whether I like it or not. Hopefully they'll spellcheck their subs. Thank God I have a summer job lined up.

*sigh* Okay, okay. Despite my Sentai grudge, they seem to be dubbing more and more and at least they have all the ADV veteran actors (since...well, they are ADV). The Clannad and HOTD dubs were good. Not only that, but I've been hoping and praying for this show to be brought over for a while now. At least it'll have subs. (Of course, I'll probably end up watching the dub, anyhow.) And I can play it on a TV screen...in hi-def...ohhh yes. So g'job, Sentai. *done rant now*[/i]
The Count

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Finny-chan wrote:
YESSSSSSSSS I loved Angel Beats when I heard that Sentai licensed it I was kinda sad until I saw they were going to dub it then I was like HECK YEAH. This series is a must buy for me. The only down side to AB is that it would have benefited with more episodes so that way the plot and characters could have developed more.

Also I loved the Clannad dub, but the packaging was just terrible they didn't even have dividers that separated the DVDs so if you wanted to watch disk 3 you had to take out the first two to get to it.

I don't see what the big deal is if you hate their dubs so much there is a Japanese audio track with subs for a reason. As for me I hate buying subbed-only DVDs cause when it comes to me actually owning a series I would rather have it dubbed so that way when I finally kick back and relax in bed I don't have to squint and read subtitles I can just sit and listen.

I have a question with Angel Beats, it is different in its typical "Key Visual" moe formlua than the previous 3 titles, the depressing,sad, confusing, plothole oragasm "Air", The bizzare,somber "Kanon 2006" and the soap opera-ry "Clannad".

Is Angels Beats different then then these titles and formulas?

spoiler[ In Key anime, theres always moe girs(one always dies mysteriously except in Clannad, Nagisa dies in childbirth) rustic male protagonist, mysticism, bizzare metaphors and a melodrama storyline.]

Please anwser me, any Key Visual fan. How different is Angel Beats?
I would say it doesn't differ much from the way you perceive the other Key titles.spoiler[ About halfway through the show after realizing all the characters died in real life the shows plot starts to heavily deal with how the characters died (some of which are pretty depressing), and how the main male character can help the others resolve any regrets they have about their time when they were alive, so they can move on peacefully].

The best way I could describe it is that it's more like Clannad without the romance and a bit darker.

And what you mentioned about Clannadspoiler[wasn't Nagisa's passing a bit of a BS just kidding moment, like the end of Mai Hime? In the end wasn't it like a dream and everyone was alive and okay?]
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:07 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Finny-chan wrote:
YESSSSSSSSS I loved Angel Beats when I heard that Sentai licensed it I was kinda sad until I saw they were going to dub it then I was like HECK YEAH. This series is a must buy for me. The only down side to AB is that it would have benefited with more episodes so that way the plot and characters could have developed more.

Also I loved the Clannad dub, but the packaging was just terrible they didn't even have dividers that separated the DVDs so if you wanted to watch disk 3 you had to take out the first two to get to it.

I don't see what the big deal is if you hate their dubs so much there is a Japanese audio track with subs for a reason. As for me I hate buying subbed-only DVDs cause when it comes to me actually owning a series I would rather have it dubbed so that way when I finally kick back and relax in bed I don't have to squint and read subtitles I can just sit and listen.

I have a question with Angel Beats, it is different in its typical "Key Visual" moe formlua than the previous 3 titles, the depressing,sad, confusing, plothole oragasm "Air", The bizzare,somber "Kanon 2006" and the soap opera-ry "Clannad".

spoiler[ In Key anime, theres always moe girs(one always dies mysteriously except in Clannad, Nagisa dies in childbirth) rustic male protagonist, mysticism, bizzare metaphors and a melodrama storyline.]

I would say it doesn't differ much from the way you perceive the other Key titles.spoiler[ About halfway through the show after realizing all the characters died in real life the shows plot starts to heavily deal with how the characters died (some of which are pretty depressing), and how the main male character can help the others resolve any regrets they have about their time when they were alive, so they can move on peacefully].

The best way I could describe it is that it's more like Clannad without the romance and a bit darker.

And what you mentioned about Clannadspoiler[wasn't Nagisa's passing a bit of a BS just kidding moment, like the end of Mai Hime? In the end wasn't it like a dream and everyone was alive and okay?]

Naw, Clannad TV series chronicled Tomoya and Nagisa's relationship in high school. After Story is the same. Everything is told in the past tense. The Movie is suppossed to be the present where spoiler[ Tomoya is widowed and a single father with Nagisa's parents trying to teach him how to be a father to Usui]

So its the same depressing present day of a Tomoya in mourning.

At least its not confusing bullshit like Airspoiler[ How come they never explain to the viewer what the hell was wrong with Mizuzu? I was pretty sure she was dying of Cystic Fibrosis. The main character I can't remember his name dissapearing and turning into a crow was even weirder]

Kanon 2002 needs to be licensed, so Kanon 2006 can make more sense.

Anyway, thanks for anwsering my question. I'll wait until the Alamo screens Angel Beats, it sounds cool.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Bored_Ming wrote:

LOL...I get good news and then complain.

It means you're a true anime fan!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lilly_938

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
ZipZapZopTitania wrote:
And PLEASE, for the love of GirlDeMo...just pick a good cast...please...I beg of you. And speaking of GirlDeMo...oh. Shoot. If you dub them at all, the lyrics had better make sense or so help me. [i][b]

This was actually the first thing that popped into my mind. I think the songs would actually make sense in english not like K-On's.

Sea Lion wrote:
I'm glad to see this news. Now what would be totally awesome is if they sell a premium edition featuring a CD with all the music from the show.

^This. Whether or not they dub the songs, I want a CD in a special/limited/premium edition. I would gladly pay $60-70 for this.
Now we just need someone to license the manga/LNs...

Last edited by lilly_938 on Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Finny-chan wrote:

Please answer me, any Key Visual fan. How different is Angel Beats?

Angel Beats is about a group of people trapped in a purgatory like existence modeled after a highschool setting and containing highschoolers. spoiler[Since everyone has already died (off screen) in order to get there, technically they all die and yet they are in purgatory so at the same time they still exist and nobody in the series actually dies, though they can be "killed" but then heal afterward. Confused yet? Yeah go it for yourself.] So yes that's one difference. Another is that the show is not arc based like the other Key works as this one was Anime original and not based off a game.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:35 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

Something just hit me though....they should try to keep T.K. the same voice actor if they can. If I recall, his voice actor's native language is English and Japanese is his second language. I find it unnecessary to actually change this.

It would be nice, but I doubt it will happen.

I remember back when the first two Nanoha series were licensed, hoping they would find a way to keep the original voices for the intelligent devices for the dub, but of course, that didn't happen.

Until reality slaps us in the face, however, we are free to dream.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:20 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Quote:
I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned sooner. I look forward to seeing (hearing?) what happens!

Chances are they won't dub it. After the disaster with Gundam Seed by Bandai, I'm sure many companies learned their lesson to not dub insert songs. The better question would be the transitioning of vocals.

Either way, I'm not happy that Sentai picked this up. Sentai is absolutely awful and really should just die. It's great that they pick up more "obscure" titles, but it really doesn't help if they're just going to half-ass the job to get it on the street. I've bought a number of releases from Sentai and all I can say is that I'm appalled by their sub-par typesetting, editing, translation, QC...just about everything actually. After spinning-off from the dying ADV I really hoped they would regroup, but all I see is a blob. Really missing Geneon right about now Crying or Very sad

Like I said-if you don't like Sentai's stuff then you don't have to buy it-don't bitch and shitting complain about it like a little spoiled rotten brat.

I hope they don't dub the insert songs unless they can make them as awesome for the parts. If not I would be switching the audio tracks for the songs.

" Sentai is absolutely awful and really should just die."

I admite I was pretty pissed off that Sentai was releasing sub-only animes at first but now that they dubbed Clannad and that Angel beats, and HOTD will get a dub and a blu-ray release. I love Sentai, it wouldn't be to long before Sentai passes FUNi as the better anime company.
SilverPhantom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm really glad to hear this. I thought FUNi would get this one though oh well, since there is a dub it's fine by me.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Canaan (which has an excellent dub) .
Jessica Boone was the only excellent thing about that dub.

Um, ouch? First off, I have to strongly but respectfully disagree with you, and throw my proverbial hat in with Harts.

I've only seen a little of that show so far, but I've found the dub to be well-preformed.

Now, as far as Angel Beats goes - I've no firsthand knowledge of the series so I'm very happy to hear that it's been licensed and will be dubbed.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Why can't any good news article thread ever just be happy? Sad

Setting that aside, I'm happy about this news. The series sounds like something I want in my collection (Key? That's for me!) I'm very pleased that it'll get an English dub right out of the door too.

I wonder if Sentai is planning in re-dubs of some of their high-sellers that were sub-only. From what I've read, they've got several that did super sales.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Finny-chan wrote:

Air is hardly the more confusing one. And its 'mysticism' is much less of an important factor for the 'story' so much as it is just a 'plot fill'. If you take anything away from Air, it should be the last 3 episodes, that 'beautiful' relationship Haruko and Misuzu attempt to forge to make up for all the time they never spent together prior.

Trying to 'look into' Key shows, is pointless and aside from Angel Beats! most of the 'mystic' elements of their shows are merely just trump cards for the plot. Absorb the 'message' and don't worry about the 'experience'.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
ZipZapZopTitania wrote:

BEFORE YOU DUB IT, SENTAI, LEARN TO MATCH LIP FLAPS!

Probably should not even be that high a priority in the first place. Fans don't even care about it when watching the Japanese track. Confused
The Count

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
ZipZapZopTitania wrote:

Probably should not even be that high a priority in the first place. Fans don't even care about it when watching the Japanese track. Confused
That and there's also the fact that since Japanese and English are two completely different language it would have to be reanimated for English watching fans. But that simple logic escapes "fans". The only other option would be to change what is said in the English version just so the flaps match, but then guess what the fans would bitch about?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
ZipZapZopTitania wrote:

That and there's also the fact that since Japanese and English are two completely different language it would have to be reanimated for English watching fans. But that simple logic escapes "fans". The only other option would be to change what is said in the English version just so the flaps match, but then guess what the fans would bitch about?

I think they point they were going for, is that since the shows are usually animated first (at least partially) then the voices are recorded to match the animation, the lip flaps barely match in Japanese either. In fact, a lot of times the English version does a better job of this than the original.

Also, it's fairly common for the dialogue to at least be slightly altered to match the lip flaps more naturally. Additional words may be added, or lines may be simplified. For instance, instead of saying "I'm positive", the English version may be "I'm 100% positive" or "I'm absolutely positive."

Personally, as long as the show is cast well and the performances are good, I'm happy. Bad casting has ruined many dubs that I was looking forward to and is the reason I cringe a little when I hear Funimation announce a new show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8