• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game Round 5~!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
The problem is that dtm42 broke forum rules to be moderated in the first place, but we're still molding the game around him despite that.

My suggestion: If his post is seen and it's right, he gets the point. But if a later post is approved before his post is seen, he doesn't get the point. He broke the board rules and we shouldn't make exceptions for him.

Um, this should be the way it's already running. Besides, I'm not approving his guesses if I don't see them until after another guess has been confirmed. There's no backtracking on a confirmed guess.

(Oh, and just to clarify: the reason why he's on Moderation has nothing whatsoever to do with the game threads, which is another reason not to ban him from them.)

Look, I understand that dtm42's guesses occasionally popping up after someone else has made a guess - but with an earlier timestamp - can be frustrating, but this is the best we can do here short of outright banning him from the game. And since he's not banned in forums, he still has a right to participate. He's already taking enough of a penalty as it is because of the risk that time lag will causes his guesses to be seen too late, and it's not like all of his guesses are getting doubled-up.

Now, his penchant for never identifying quotes that aren't guessed, and usually only offering two clues, that's a whole 'nother irritating issue that has nothing to do with Moderation. Neither is strictly required by game rules, but damn, I wish he'd change those little idiosyncrasies. (Listening there, dtm42?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Um, this should be the way it's already running.

Um, but it's not. There have been several cases where dtm42's late posts have either ended in the point being passed to him or him nabbing an up for grabs quote. That shouldn't happen. And since you guys (the mods) are reading his posts before you approve them, it may be helpful if you'd check to see if an answer and quote have already been posted before approving it. If there's already a guess that's the exact same as his, don't approve his post. If a turn has already been grabbed, don't approve his post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
You're being hard-harted. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:42 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Um, but it's not. There have been several cases where dtm42's late posts have either ended in the point being passed to him or him nabbing an up for grabs quote. That shouldn't happen. . . If a turn has already been grabbed, don't approve his post.

That's not what I was talking about, nor was the person I quoted. If another answer is posted first, but has not yet been confirmed as a correct answer, then I don't see what the problem is, especially since that means that the poster hasn't looked at the thread yet since the posting of the first one to appear - and in that case, how could the quote poster even know that they hadn't appeared in order unless someone says something about it? It's not like dtm42 can cheat from that, since his post was submitted first, and the time stamps don't lie. If another answer has been confirmed before his answer clears then it is a problem and the earlier guess doesn't go through. That wasn't the case in any of the instances you linked to, though.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I see Harts has linked to one of my turns as one of the exceptions. I want to clarify that dtm42's guess was already approved and viewable when I came back to check on my quote, so it was most definitely not one of the exceptions as it followed exactly what you were suggesting, Harts.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:26 am Reply with quote
Character A: If you imagine something it can come into being. Imagine a devil, and he may just show up.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:08 am Reply with quote
In the first one I listed, EmbraceMe had declared egoist's guess as correct. Before egoist could post a quote, though, dtm42's post came up, EmbraceMe saw it, and then went "Oh, wait, dtm42 gets the point, not egoist", even though he had already declared him the winner.

In the second and third examples, someone else had already put down the correct answer, but dtm42's post came afterwards.
Quote:
If another answer is posted first, but has not yet been confirmed as a correct answer, then I don't see what the problem is

I'm not sure about you, but I find that extremely unfair to the players to have the right answer, think they're going to get it, only to have it pulled from them because they couldn't see dtm42's post and the holder didn't see it in time.

In the fourth example, I messed up and chose the wrong one. However, it's the exact same thing as the second and third examples.

@Ranc
Like I said, errinundra's answer was down in the thread before dtm42's.

Quote:
My suggestion: If his post is seen and it's right, he gets the point. But if a later post is approved before his post is seen, he doesn't get the point. He broke the board rules and we shouldn't make exceptions for him.

Thinking back, I hate this idea. Instead, dtm42's time stamp should be whatever time the mod passes the post, and it should be edited onto the post when approved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:49 am Reply with quote
So, how about we do it this way then.

If someone guesses something and it's confirmed before dtm42's quote shows up, the point and turn will go to that person - so dtm42 PMing that person just to tell her that his reply is waiting for confirmation would be foul play.

If you have a quote up, someone guesses it, and you confirm it, but dtm42's quote show up and you notice it, you won't edit your post. Just ignore it.

When he posts a new quote, the time won't be extended. We'll stick to the original time stamp regardless of when the moderator authorized it (be it 24 hours later). It won't really affect dtm42 since he hardly give more than 2 hints anyway. I noticed it last round, but even with the time extended to nearly 60 hours sometimes, nobody even guessed it, and it happened a few times. The game was staled for over 60 hours.

I don't really think we should be bending the rules just for a user under moderation. The game is simple, an answer is up, and you confirm it (nothing should be solved through PMs), because that's what an official guess is.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:37 am Reply with quote
Everything I agree with, but I'm still wondering about this part:

Quote:
If someone guesses something and it's confirmed before dtm42's quote shows up, the point and turn will go to that person - so dtm42 PMing that person just to tell her that his reply is waiting for confirmation would be foul play.

We'll still have the issue I brought up of Player X giving his answer and it being the first in the thread. dtm42's post is approved 2 hours later, making Player X's quote no longer the first in the thread. Then, the holder comes in, sees that dtm42's answer is first, and gives him the point, even though Player X's answer was in the thread before dtm42s. How is that going to be handled? I still think the mods should put a time stamp on his posts when it's approved so he can't get an invisible jump on the other players.
Raftina

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:56 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
We'll still have the issue I brought up of Player X giving his answer and it being the first in the thread. dtm42's post is approved 2 hours later, making Player X's quote no longer the first in the thread. Then, the holder comes in, sees that dtm42's answer is first, and gives him the point, even though Player X's answer was in the thread before dtm42s.

The situation you describe is not fundamentally different from user B posting the answer after user A had last loaded the page but before user A posted his answer, which can be a rather long interval for those who obsessively check their DVDs to make sure that the answer is correct--to name a prominent user, Key is frequently the victim of this problem. The length of the unknown interval can be longer for dtm42's approval, but it should not be necessary to give dtm42 an even harsher handicap than what egoist suggested unless other users start the dishonest practice of bypassing the purpose of the special rule by deliberating withholding confirmation until dtm42's guess appears in the thread.

Last edited by Raftina on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:58 am Reply with quote
By the way, I'm just proposing this. I'll leave it up to Key since he's the one moderating his posts here.

If by the time of confirmation his guess is visible to whoever is confirming, it should be accepted. Sorry, but we'll have to deal with an invisible jump, otherwise we'd be excluding a player. But then again, if what I said above is applied it'll be a major hassle lifted from the game.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:04 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
In the first one I listed, EmbraceMe had declared egoist's guess as correct. Before egoist could post a quote, though, dtm42's post came up, EmbraceMe saw it, and then went "Oh, wait, dtm42 gets the point, not egoist", even though he had already declared him the winner.

No, in that case I'm nearly certain that dtm42's post was up before the confirmation and EmbraceMe just didn't see it. I always double-check this so that doesn't happen accidentally.

Quote:
We'll still have the issue I brought up of Player X giving his answer and it being the first in the thread. dtm42's post is approved 2 hours later, making Player X's quote no longer the first in the thread. Then, the holder comes in, sees that dtm42's answer is first, and gives him the point, even though Player X's answer was in the thread before dtm42s. How is that going to be handled?

Raftina addressed this fairly well, I think. This is exactly why I don't see it as a problem.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:07 am Reply with quote
It is fundamentally different because when you hit "Submit" you can see right then and there that you were beat out; you don't find out two hours later that you were jumped by a post you can't see.

Here we go again with trying to go easy on the guy who's being punished for improper conduct. And whether the reason for his moderation is related to this specific thread is irrelevant since this thread is a part of the entire ANN board, whose rules dtm42 broke.

Quote:
No, in that case I'm nearly certain that dtm42's post was up before the confirmation and EmbraceMe just didn't see it. I always double-check this so that doesn't happen accidentally.

And as someone who's on these boards constantly, I'm nearly certain it wasn't. And even if it were, why would egoist then post the exact same answer 9 hours later? It wasn't there, that's why egoist gave the answer. Also, when you look at EmbraceMe's post, he clearly marks in his edit that he didn't see dtm42's post until 5pm, which I assume is when you cleared it, which means egoist was right for 2.5 hours.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:15 am Reply with quote
For clarification's sake. It wasn't there when I posted mine. Perhaps you confirmed it at the same time I did but a bit later? I always check the post above mine as well.
Quote:

Here we go again with trying to go easy on the guy who's being punished for improper conduct.

It's not exactly going easy if the restrictions I proposed are applied. Even though the invisible jump will continue, but that's pretty much it.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
It is fundamentally different because when you hit "Submit" you can see right then and there that you were beat out; you don't find out two hours later that you were jumped by a post you can't see.

What order the posts clear in is irrelevant as long as they're up in correct time-stamped order when the poster of the quote first checks for correct answers. In the case you're most complaining about, I looked at the time stamps again and I'm now pretty sure that I wasn't the one who cleared that post. I always check this, but I guess I'll have to make sure that the other mods working on clearing out the Moderated posts know to do that, too. Quote posters should also double-check their confirmations after they're posted to make sure that something didn't sneak in under the gun (which I've frequently had happen in the Tournament threads).

Quote:
Here we go again with trying to go easy on the guy who's being punished for improper conduct. And whether the reason for his moderation is related to this specific thread is irrelevant since this thread is a part of the entire ANN board, whose rules dtm42 broke.

Sorry, but that's not a call you get to make.

And AFAIC, the rule already is as egoist has proposed. I will also institute the additional proposal that time won't be extended on his quotes if one clears several hours after it's posted, unless he starts actually giving more than two hints (which, again, I see as the much bigger problem).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 100