• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Howl's Moving Castle Wins at Venice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:18 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Usually it's both New York and L.A., to give the big critics on both coasts a glimpse

Oh, I agree - I just thought we were confining ourselves to "technical eligibility" for a moment, rather than "realistic hope" Smile
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, the Academy Award rules for this year's awards state that the feature needs to be exhibited commercially in a cinema in the Los Angeles County for a minimum of seven days, between 1 January and 31 December of the eligible year.

These are the rules for the 2003 award that were given out in 2004:

Oscar Rules wrote:
3. A picture first theatrically exhibited outside the U.S. prior to the Los Angeles qualifying run shall be eligible for submission provided the prior exhibition takes place in a commercial motion picture theater after January 1, 2002, with the following further conditions:

a) the film may not be exhibited publicly in any other medium for a six-month period following the commencement of its initial theatrical engagement, and

b) after the six-month period, the film may play in non-theatrical forms provided they are outside the U.S. (No film which is shown inside the U.S. in any non-theatrical form prior to its qualifying Los Angeles run shall be eligible for Academy Awards.)

Providing the rules aren't changed... Move the dates up a year for 2004 and another year for 2005.

If Howl's premieres in Japan in late 2004, and then is screened in LA sometime in 2005, it will be eligible for the 2005 awards, given out in early 2006.

Ghost in the Shell: Innocence will be eligible for the 2004 award.

-t
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:29 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Ghost in the Shell: Innocence will be eligible for the 2004 award.

I think if anything anime gets nominated this year, it will be Steamboy, which, from what I understand, is a far more "accessible" film. I don't think you'll ever see an animated Mamoru Oshii film ever get nominated unless he makes another more crowd-pleasing film like Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer.

At this point in time, though, if I was going to bet on the nominees, they would be The Incredibles, Polar Express, and Shrek 2, if this is just a three nomination year, and A Shark's Tale and either Home on the Range or, outside chance, Steamboy, assuming it gets released this year, if there will be five berths.

A nightmare scenario would be if they hold off releasing Steamboy domestically until next year and Howl and Steamboy split the pro-anime vote so neither even get nominated. Unless they both get nominated, but I think two anime films getting nominated in the same year is still a pipedream.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They're usually minorities, and not anorexic blondes, but the chick who plays Lana on Smallville(She's part Chinese and part Inuit, not "white".), Thandie Newton, and Salma Hayek for starters.

Lol, you never cease to amaze me. So you think Nicole Kidman is only adequate but rat girl from Smallville is a good actress. Good one.
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Mr Mania wrote:
Quote:
They're usually minorities, and not anorexic blondes, but the chick who plays Lana on Smallville(She's part Chinese and part Inuit, not "white".), Thandie Newton, and Salma Hayek for starters.

Lol, you never cease to amaze me. So you think Nicole Kidman is only adequate but rat girl from Smallville is a good actress. Good one.

GATSU is entitled to his own opinion. The "rat girl" comment, however, was completely uncalled for.
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
Mr Mania wrote:
Quote:

GATSU is entitled to his own opinion. The "rat girl" comment, however, was completely uncalled for.

Its called a joke,lighten up.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:28 am Reply with quote
I think it'll be Howl that's get a nomination for next year's Oscars. Apart from being optimistic, there's studio politics as well. We have Shrek 2, which is Dreamworks and The Incredibles, which is for all intents and purposes Pixar, and are sure bets for nominations. Both have 'legs'. Next we have Home on the Range and The Polar Express, which one would have to count as outsiders.

Howl already has a prestigious award, the director and studio is admired by animators all over the world, Miyazaki has already won an Oscar, and it's bankrolled by Disney (via Buena Vista Japan.) Disney will want to push the film, partly to act as a spoiler for Shrek/Incredibles, but also because a Oscar nom won't hurt sales of the next Miyazaki R1 DVD's.

Steamboy? I haven't heard anything about the reception by the Venice audience to know if it's any good. I'm sure that it is but at least Howl got some press coverage.

On the other hand, no mainstream press mentioned the Osella award that Howl won.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Nah, I think the people responsible for handling Howl at Disney will take full advantage of the fact that they don't have to submit it before the end of next year to conduct a proper Oscar campaign and give the film time to get critical attention rather than doing a rush job for the sake of getting an Oscar "Now! Now! Now!" and attempt to bring attention to the film at a time of year when it has to compete for attention with the potential Best Picture nominees. That was the Tokyo Godfathers strategy, and that got nowhere, and, while Miyazaki, by virtue of being an Oscar winner already, would garner a bit more attention than Kon did, it's still an uphill battle for a foreign animated film to get the attention of enough of the actual Academy voters to vote for it in the nomination round.

And for the type of dub Disney likes to do, with A-minus list celebrities, there simply may not be enough time to put together a dub up to their standards from scratch, since it's a matter of booking ADR facility time and making sure the celebrities have time in their schedules.

Another huge advantage of submitting it for the 2006 award would be that the film likely would already be out on Region 1 DVD by the end of next fall.

I think if Disney had any Oscar plans for this film for this year, we would have already heard some rumbings by now. They might have before, if the film had been ready in time for a July release in Japan, but the delay likely threw their Oscar plans into disarray.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4