• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cultural Quirk Question [orange box]

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:35 am Reply with quote
What is the significance of the Orange Box used as a table in many Japanese Anime and Manga?

[edit: subject changed to reflect content. -L]
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:05 am Reply with quote
I will hazard a guess that it signifies the owner of said property not being financially willing, or able to afford a nice solid mahagany, or teak one. Wink
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, "orange box"? I'm not sure what you mean.

If it's just a box, I'd say that Mohawk52 is right. But without a screenshot, I can't say for sure whether you're talking about something else. Could you be referring to a こたつ(kotatsu)? This is a device sometimes seen in Japanese homes, a table with a built-in heater. Nice and comfy during winter.

If you can post a screenshot, it would be easy to answer.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:04 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

I think he's referring to the prevailance of the mikan box, used often as a desk of some sort. I think Mohawk's correct, although I've never heard a 'real' answer with regards to this question.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
abunai wrote:

I think he's referring to the prevailance of the mikan box, used often as a desk of some sort. I think Mohawk's correct, although I've never heard a 'real' answer with regards to this question.

Oho. Silly me - I wasn't thinking "box that had formerly contained oranges" but "orange-coloured box". Had me stumped, because I had completely misunderstood the question. Embarassed

- abunai
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:32 pm Reply with quote
One of the pages from Negima #2 showing him using a orange box.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/phantomskyline/Mahou-Sensei-Negima_p14.jpg

[EDIT - The source used is a scanilation, but it doesn't appear that any other scanilation images are being stored at the site in question, so I'll let it stand. -C]
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Please don't post links to scanlations, it's not kosher.

But yes, Negima is using a mikan box (mikan being not oranges as we understand them, but mandarins - bitter summer oranges, also called "Chinese citron") to underscore the facts that he:

a) still isn't settled into his new lodgings - remember, he's pretty young

b) probably cannot yet afford proper furniture.

When you sit on the floor (well, on tatami mats on the floor, but you get the idea), a box of that size is perfect for a desk.

- abunai
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Mikan (蜜柑, Satsuma mandarin) is the representative fruit in Ehime Prefecture. Scientifically named Citrus unshiu (温州蜜柑), its flower is also the Prefectural flower of Ehime. It is more closely related to tangerine than orange.

From http://www.alpine-plants-jp.com/himitunohanazono/unsyuumikan_himitu_1.htm

In addition to mikan box from Ehime, we also have apple box from Aomori in many manga/anime. Laughing Those are stereotypical gift/souvenir from rural areas of Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Arkard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Now that is interesting.
When I was living alone in Japan for 2 week in a non furnished apartment, one of the neighbours gave me 3 orange boxes Very Happy
I thought he gave me real fruits Wink so I didn't really understood when I looked inside and they were all empty.
Guess its something normal for a person when he has no furniture and cant afford them. Thats all I can say.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:25 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
One of the pages from Negima #2 showing him using a orange box.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/phantomskyline/Mahou-Sensei-Negima_p14.jpg

[EDIT - The source used is a scanilation, but it doesn't appear that any other scanilation images are being stored at the site in question, so I'll let it stand. -C]

Photobucket, For The Record, is a Photo Hosting Site, not a scan site. That, and my scanner decided to commit Seppuku a few days ago. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1