• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Funny Ha Ha

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of those people who finds that most of the funniest anime moments come from well-placed comedic moments in series that are not specifically "comedy series." Most anime that bill themselves as comedies generally aren't as funny as I always somehow expect them to be, but...at the same time, I don't specifically seek out anime comedies, because the types of series I like tend to be good about mixing in some lighthearted, comedic elements where they work.

As far as the issue of anime comedy directors, Akitaro Daichi isn't specifically a "comedy director," but he's a director who definitely leverages comedy in series he directs, and I think he has a good sense of comic timing. He also makes good use of animation's plasticity in his trademark "funny reaction faces," which sometimes are used to great effect in joke delivery. The caricatured expressiveness of anime and manga characters is a big part of what helps sell a lot of the comedy to me. Fruits Basket and Kodomo no Omocha aren't comedy series, but they provide laughs and amusement enough to work from that angle, at least for me.
slipperybogle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure I agree that comedy is particularly subjective, at least to a greater extent than any other kind of entertainment. I mean, doesn't it all depend someone's personal experiences? It's a deceptively interesting topic though. Listening to this podcast I realized I've never given much thought to the idea of comedy in anime, probably because straight up comedy has never been my thing and haven't seen many anime I'd describe as uproariously funny. Have formed a lot of opinions about comedy in a more general sense which I assume are all right to share here as zac seemed to be soliciting thoughts on the subject from people who like anime and he broached the topic of comedy snobbery himself in the podcast.

From what I've observed here in the US, comedy (especially stand up comedy) is really only for joiners. It's amazing how the bread and butter of so many stand up routines is basically "make vaguely liberal generalization about some social issue and wait for applause." It's like it's not enough to just be a paying customer who expects some laughs but you have to be, somehow, on the comedian's "side" and give them credence on issues well outside their purview. Pundits will even crow about how great a comedian is for all the people that they didn't make laugh (e.g. how "misunderstood" or "ahead of their time" Bill Hicks or Andy Kaufmann were). Not to say that there haven't been things I enjoyed. Off the top of my head: Pablo Francisco, Space Ghost, mnftiu, police academy but like I said it's not really my thing.

So, as far as anime comedy, there's nothing in my mind that it has to live up to and it's actually refreshing that it doesn't carry with it all the same baggage. Comedies as comedies I've liked cromartie, haruhi-chan, first episode of tower of druaga, comedy segment from halo legends, riding bean, p&s, desert punk etc. I agree with two sentiments from the podcast, that humor in anime usually works best as a component of something else and also that it tends to be more successfully conveyed in manga. Haven't seen the anime adaptation but, for instance, I thought that sumomomo momomo was genuinely funny. I think it's just that the sight gags work a lot better in manga because the artist has more control over your attention?

And just to put something out there, wouldn't endless eight qualify as irony? Since I have been watching anime I have assumed that irony often found expression in sort of purposefully driving a joke into the ground in a way that's almost daring you to keep watching.
rti9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
During the podcast, many American comedians were mentioned, but none of the early 20th century animations from Hanna Barbera and Warner Bros. Cartoons were. Aren't these considered the high-water mark of animated comedy and probably one of the many reasons to why slapstick humor is still heavily employed today?

It was also really good that the three talked about The World of Golden Eggs. We must remember that most of the comedy shows we've been watching lately are airing at those after-midnight slots. Most of the time we are either watching shows aimed at the small crowds or shows aimed at kids. The mainstream animated comedy shows in Japan are still Sazae-san, Chibi Maruko-chan, and Kochikame.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:46 pm Reply with quote
immortalrite wrote:
Comedy where it doesn't belong:

For examples of this (and I realize most will probably disagree with me), I felt like Trigun and Fullmetal Alchemist could have been greatly improved if they had been more serious. I found myself having a difficult time taking the "serious" elements of those shows seriously, particularly in the latter, where it seems like every time they would begin to build up to something really dramatic and interesting they would break it off with some goofy scene of Ed freaking out after someone called him midgit. It is almost as if they didn't expect their audience to be able to handle dramatic weight of a certain situation unless they cut away to a joke shortly thereafter.

Some really good thoughts in that long post, Azumanga's still my favorite straight comedy along with Excel Saga and Cromartie High, I still lament we don't get more of these instead of the endless boring cycle of romcoms, fanservice comedies and moe comedies.

While I agree Fullmetal could have gotten along fine without it there were some nice ones sprinkled around, and especially in the first series where they had time at the beginning to not rush the early humor.

However I disagree on Trigun as don't think it would be the same without the early comedy as it worked since it was pure "Vash." Particularly the early stuff like the first battle where, at least in the dub, JYB makes the "I gotta go to the potty sir" joke in a perfectly hilarious tone and then after turning away for a moment it hits the guy and he shoots at him. I think it was pretty naturally part of a mostly serious show due to Vash himself's great comedic timing/expressions. I don't want all my action shows to start light and then get darker just for emphasis but I think it worked well with Trigun because of Vash, not to mention Wolfwood and the insurance girls all worked pretty well comedically particularly when they just had reactions and didn't even need to say anything or moments of dark or ironic humor like Vash's "Total Slaughter".

I still need to listen to the podcast, but I think recently Panty & Stocking and Level E have been the funniest along with parts of Occult Academy (especially thanks to A-1's awesomely animated Maya facial expressions and extra work put into them), and I agree that most of the time my best laughs have come from shows where comedy wasn't the focus but just a piece of the puzzle, FLCL, Bebop etc I find far funnier during their comedic exchanges/runs than most comedy-focused shows.
immortalrite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
However I disagree on Trigun as don't think it would be the same without the early comedy as it worked since it was pure "Vash." Particularly the early stuff like the first battle where, at least in the dub, JYB makes the "I gotta go to the potty sir" joke in a perfectly hilarious tone and then after turning away for a moment it hits the guy and he shoots at him. I think it was pretty naturally part of a mostly serious show due to Vash himself's great comedic timing/expressions. I don't want all my action shows to start light and then get darker just for emphasis but I think it worked well with Trigun because of Vash, not to mention Wolfwood and the insurance girls all worked pretty well comedically particularly when they just had reactions and didn't even need to say anything or moments of dark or ironic humor like Vash's "Total Slaughter".

Thanks for responding.

To clarify, I actually responded very well to Trigun's humor early on in the series (the first three or four episodes), but in general I found it distracting how even after the show went into "serious mode" around the halfway point, it was apparently still necessary to continuously remind the audience that Vash is the quintessential "lovable goofball." Also, as I forgot to mention this in my original post, I think Trigun's over-saturation of humor made it extremely difficult to take any of the mid-level villains seriously (with the notable exception of Legato), and I found myself more often than not wanting to chuckle at these supposed "bad guys" rather than be frightened of them (perhaps this was in fact the point?).

All in all, my reaction to Trigun was fairly lukewarm; that is, I wish the comedy had been funnier and the drama more serious. I think the best way to describe it is that, while knowing pretty well on a theoretical level what the creators going for, I simply did not connect with it on an emotional level nearly as much as I could have. However, having actually just finished the series a couple weeks ago, I do admit it is something which I would definitely consider revisiting (in Japanese this time: I found the dub in fact to be rather mediocre and mostly poorly-acted) in another year or so to see if it sticks more effectively. The same goes for Fullmetal Alchemist, one of those series which is more or less universally deemed a "masterpiece" by everyone who has seen it which simply did not generate in me the same reaction.

P.S.
As an addendum to my earlier post, I wanted to agree with Brad about Higurashi's comedy being essentially a misfire (especially in the second season, which is pure goof for about the first three episodes), although I do not think that it took up half of the show's total content. In general, I felt as though Higurashi's "comedy" moments were placed there in an almost self-aware, even satirical, way. They are really terrible extremely childish, but it's almost as if the animators were just trying to do all the things which your most generic "anime comedy" has. I remember a particularly horrible scene in episode one of the first season where Satoko is "stealing" some of Keiichi's picnic lunch and the two begin "fighting" while all the other characters make stupid off-color comments like "they sure are good friends!" and "it's so nice to be young!" On top of all of that, the animation quality gets really terrible and low-budget. Indeed, images like this really push the boundaries of grotesque character deformity. However, I think in spite of all that, the series managed to still be extremely effective in its dramatic mode, although it could have been significantly improved if much of that stuff had been removed.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
immortalrite wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:

Thanks for responding.

To clarify, I actually responded very well to Trigun's humor early on in the series (the first three or four episodes), but in general I found it distracting how even after the show went into "serious mode" around the halfway point, it was apparently still necessary to continuously remind the audience that Vash is the quintessential "lovable goofball." Also, as I forgot to mention this in my original post, I think Trigun's over-saturation of humor made it extremely difficult to take any of the mid-level villains seriously (with the notable exception of Legato), and I found myself more often than not wanting to chuckle at these supposed "bad guys" rather than be frightened of them (perhaps this was in fact the point?).

All in all, my reaction to Trigun was fairly lukewarm; that is, I wish the comedy had been funnier and the drama more serious. I think the best way to describe it is that, while knowing pretty well on a theoretical level what the creators going for, I simply did not connect with it on an emotional level nearly as much as I could have. However, having actually just finished the series a couple weeks ago, I do admit it is something which I would definitely consider revisiting (in Japanese this time: I found the dub in fact to be rather mediocre and mostly poorly-acted) in another year or so to see if it sticks more effectively. The same goes for Fullmetal Alchemist, one of those series which is more or less universally deemed a "masterpiece" by everyone who has seen it which simply did not generate in me the same reaction.

Ah yeah, that is true, that was kind of a bit of a trade-off, until Legato and those guys a good number of the early/mid-villains were harder not to at least chuckle at.

Loved both FMA series so far (currently in the middle of Brotherhood).
toyNN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:31 am Reply with quote
I think I agree quite a lot with your comments, Fumoffu eps 10 is about the funniest eps ever.

One anime that's my #1 comedy that no one else has mentioned is Skip Beat! - I laughed so hard all through that show.

This Winter season has a number of shows with plenty of comedy.
Besides the gag show Mitsudomoe you've got Level E,Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka,Beezlebub,GOSICK all with a lot of comedy all pretty good shows.

immortalrite wrote:
I think the anime which comes closest in these respects is probably Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu, which would probably be my second choice.

Comedy where it doesn't belong:

For examples of this (and I realize most will probably disagree with me), I felt like Trigun and Fullmetal Alchemist could have been greatly improved if they had been more serious.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote
Reposting from "Comedy anime tastes" from the general section. I had actually hoped Zac or someone had read this because, IMNSHO, I thought I made a good point they could have worked with your musings on why comedy is different and irony, sarcasm, and dark comedy is rare.

For me I enjoy most Japanese comedy because it is mainly of a different style than Western humor. Western humor is very often (but not always) crueler. Now, it can be said that all humor is slightly based on meanness. It's all about fooling people and pointing out differences, but Western humor often rests on absolute ridicule and humiliation while Japanese humor rest more on eccentricities and misunderstanding. Comedies like Napoleon Dynamite, and TV like Curb Your Enthusiasm, the original British version of The Office and most of Seinfeld annoy me greatly because the humor is about making people look pathetic and unsympathetic. Japanese comedies mostly avoid that give you something to like about their odd characters. It's all about making fun of what the person does, not what the person is.

There are some exceptions though- aspects of Japanese humor I almost always dislike. An obnoxious, loud character that is supposed to be funny simply because they are obnoxious and loud. I don't think I was able to get through even a dozen episodes of GTO because I was unable to take Onizuka. Not saying he and the show didn't have good things going, but I had a big problem finding it funny.
I also quickly get tired of shows that constantly beat on a guy for misunderstandings and small grudges. Recently a certain member here has said about a half dozen times how much he disliked My Bride is a Mermaid but really liked the first few episodes- I am completely on the opposite opinion, I really like the show but found the beginning to be a necessary ordeal to get through and only really liked it after every joke stopped being about the mob guys beating the crap out of Nagasumi and more about the various oddities of the whole cast.
I like slapstick but beating a person with a stick repeatedly gets old.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I agree with what a lot of other people have said about the funniest moments in anime being in non comedy series. I think I've probably laughed the most at funny parts of Sailor Moon and things Kero-chan says in Cardcaptor Sakura.

As far as actual comedy series go, I love Azumanga Daioh, Excel Saga, Galaxy Angel, and Haruhi Suzumiya, if that counts. I definitely liked parts of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Lucky Star. I thought Tatami Galaxy was hilarious.

I laughed really hard at the first episode of The World of Narue. The rest of the series was not as funny as that first episode though.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I have not seen A LOT of comedy anime. My favorite of what I've seen are Excel Saga, FLCL and Cromartie High School (I don't know what "point" the anime missed, but it didn't miss the point of being funny, Zac).

My new favorite is Level E, which I did not even expect to be a comedy. I had read nothing about it, so the comedy caught me by surprise. It's silly, but the comedy is done in a way that I don't usually expect from anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised but happy at all the love Level E is receiving. It really is a very funny show, makes me laugh out loud multiple times each episode =D

I'm a fan of shows/manga where it cuts from a serious scene to something comedic and then back again without feeling disjointed. I think that the Bleach and FMA manga do this quite well. Especially during fight scenes.

toyNN wrote:
One anime that's my #1 comedy that no one else has mentioned is Skip Beat! - I laughed so hard all through that show.

I also love Skip Beat (manga ver.) very very much. Kyoko is utterly hilarious and totally likeable at the same time Anime smile

I think my favourite comedy anime would be Gintama. Gintama is a show where I still laugh at jokes that need to be explained via translation notes, as well as a series that I find really funny because of the voices (oh man, I just loooove Sugita Tomokazu). And it is chock full of parodies too and a lot of puns as well (gintama, kintama anyone? Laughing )

One thing that isn't meant to be comedic but makes me laugh is fanservice for girls (fanservice for guys just makes me angry/disgusted). For some reason, random shirtless guys and BL undertones make me laugh. This is probably why I love so many of the shows aimed at 'fujoshi' while not actually being one. And this is the very reason why I am loving the hell outta, and laughing my insides out at My Girlfriend is a Geek.

The only time I've ever found the whole 'she's a girl but she can't cook, but he's a guy and he can' funny was Otomen. But I think that's due to my bias towards the series, rather than it actually being funny. Or maybe because the "joke" (in inverted commas because it isn't really funny) actually fits into the series as a whole rather than just being tacked on for cheap (possibly non-existent) laughs.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Did I miss the mention of comedy extras? While the Maria-sama ni wa naisho are hit and miss, some of them are funny ~ and since they are only a minute or two, if the jokes misses, you've not wasted a lot of time on it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:59 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Did I miss the mention of comedy extras? While the Maria-sama ni wa naisho are hit and miss, some of them are funny ~ and since they are only a minute or two, if the jokes misses, you've not wasted a lot of time on it.

Brad had to go; we didn't have time for all the twitter questions, and I tend to go in the order they were sent from the bottom up.
toyNN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote
ss-hikaru wrote:
I think my favourite comedy anime would be Gintama. Gintama is a show where I still laugh at jokes that need to be explained via translation notes, as well as a series that I find really funny because of the voices (oh man, I just loooove Sugita Tomokazu). And it is chock full of parodies too and a lot of puns as well (gintama, kintama anyone?)

I get a *D* for anime knowledge 'cause I know of Gintama generally, at least I thought I did but after this and other comments I now understand that is very much a comedy. I had not idea it was....time to start watching its 200+ eps.

I don't know quite what this falls under, comedy shorts?, but how about Tono to Issho? Total Japanese language/historical/parody/pun references jokes that seem nearly impossible for a non-Japanese to find humorous without a lot of explaining. An episode format of 1min short story + 30sec ED seems to add to its oddity.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
toyNN wrote:

I don't know quite what this falls under, comedy shorts?, but how about Tono to Issho? Total Japanese language/historical/parody/pun references jokes that seem nearly impossible for a non-Japanese to find humorous without a lot of explaining. An episode format of 1min short story + 30sec ED seems to add to its oddity.

I don't think gag shorts are so rare in Japan but a problem with that show as we see it on Crunchyrool is that it was originally a 30 minute OVA of rapid fire gags, in that format I found it hilarious, I miss stuff like the specifics of the whole cuckoo poem thing but generally loved the absurdity of ruthless warlords acting like goofballs, obsessing on fashion and moe and such. And they do give very brief intros to the warlords, so you shouldn't be completely clueless.... just mostly.

The short snippets didn't work well at all and even if you watch them as a series it gets screwed up by the credits breaking the jokes up. And though I say it's rapid fire some segments work best in snippets longer than the shorts allowed, so it got cut up a bit more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5