• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Funny Ha Ha

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nietzschesass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
About the remarks about lack of irony or sarcasm in the Japanese language, it's one of the typical, naive observations made among Japanese learning communities.

I certainly didn't register today intending to make a first post that makes me look like a smart a**, but if you can find irony and sarcasm used in the Tale of Genji completed in the early 11th century in the form easily recognizable by readers today, you can bet the language doesn't lack irony and sarcasm.

The use of irony and sarcasm is just as individual- and country-specific and you have to know how to recognize it (not necessarily in anime), which entails a good knowledge of the target language, thus leading novice learners to make assumptions that aren't really truthful about the reality.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
The only standup I used to listen to was George Carlin. Dimitri(sp?) Martin can be funny.

The only anime I can recall laughing at that was supposed to be funny was School Rumble. And even then, it's more a light chuckle.

I think schadenfreude is more my brand of humor. I find myself laughing out loud way more often to random bits in shows like Black Lagoon or Samurai Champloo then I ever do in shows that are meant to be funny.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dolza

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Dying is easy. Comedy is difficult.

I often find that the only Anime comedies that I can enjoy are the Azumanga Daioh types. If the setup and joke has to be done is a short four panel setting, then it is usually simple enough to translate well. If the show relies on knowledge of Japanese historical or cultural general knowledge, then while I can appreciate the joke, I can't laugh as I lack the background.
Hence School Rumble worked as the comedy was based on general human relations, and Genshiken worked because of the recognizable situation.

But, humor is totally subjective. What is generally considered the "Greatest American Comedy" of all time; Some Like It Hot, I found to be distinctly unfunny.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
commenting while I listen:

I think a lot of Japanese comedy doesn't work for me for probably the same reasons that a lot of our comedy wouldn't work for them. What comes to mind here is pop culture, political and historical jokes. It's not just cultural, it's national. Japan bases jokes on their national news stories just like they base historical jokes off of the history of their nation. These things are pounded into their brains as school children. Likewise, we are taught American, European, etc. history in our formative education, so jokes based upon that stuff is funnier to us.

A case in point would be a joke in Oh! Edo Rocket where they reference an author who wrote a treatise "on farting". Since I knew about this author (for some odd reason I can't explain), the joke was funny to me. If I hadn't known about this author, the joke would not have registered at all.

Puns. So many Japanese puns are based on an alphabet where the individual characters have meaning. Our alphabet doesn't work that way. How can we make jokes like that funny to an audience where the basic rules of the alphabet are so different? I think a lot of these elements demand localization if they are going to have any kind of mainstream appeal. I don't envy the people who's job it is to localize this humor.

Creating a wall of text over animated images, in order to explain puns like these, is just not funny. The whole point of jokes is in the immediate humor. If you don't get the humor immediately, the funny-factor fades from a "bwahahahaha!" to an "oh,... o.k.,... heh heh".

Shows based on universal concepts (like aliens), world history (i.e. Hetalia) and human nature translate the best, I think.

Sex comedies fall into the human nature category, but there is only so much mileage you can get out of anatomy, and the situations that surround human anatomy. My husband thinks this humor correlates to a lot of stuff that was around in the '70's like "Three's Company". He mentioned wondering if "Three's Company" has been translated into Japanese, and is currently popular in Japan.

Shows like Level E and Gintama work for me because the pop culture surrounding alien invaders has become kind of universal. I noticed that Durarara! and Level E are two shows that took time setting up the jokes. Which might be the better way to go. These kind of jokes depend as much on the storytelling to get to the punchline, as the punchline itself.

Things that any human can relate to tranlsate better. i.e. the moral of the story is: spoiler[ don't leave stuff in the 'fridge].

Squid Girl was a parody that worked, IMO.

"Breaking the Fourth Wall" is something that is always funny to me. It's not limited to anime, but anime does it very well.

Th,..Th,..That's all folks!

Last edited by tuxedocat on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
immortalrite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
RE: What makes a good anime comedy?

This is actually something I have been attempting to work out in depth over the last year or so, and I believe I have something of a rough scaffolding: to begin with, in my experience the best comedy always requires a careful balance between absurdity and reality. If a comedy is too absurd or surreal (I think Excel Saga, FLCL, and a lot of SHAFT's stuff falls into this category), it is difficult to relate to, and it quickly becomes unfunny. On the other hand, if a comedy is too realistic (Lucky Star is probably the best example of this), it simply feels like watching 24-hour candid camera, where only maybe 5% of it is actually funny and the rest is unbearably mundane. I believe a successful comedy also requires a balance between different types of humor, including a degree of slapstick/physical as well as verbal/word-play. This is why a really I really enjoy Mike Judge's sense of humor, since I think he does a particularly effective job of using certain everyday "character archetypes" (e.g. the passive-aggressive boss, the invasive and annoying neighbor) and then simply taking them to an extreme.

Personally, Azumanga Daioh currently stands as the pinnacle of everything I want out of an anime comedy, being really the only one which can make laugh as hard and as frequently. It has that really pitch-perfect balance between absurdity and realism on the one hand (it has its surrealist moments but also characters and situations which are highly relateable), and different types of humor on the other; in this sense, I am somewhat inclined to disagree with those who characterize Azumanga simply as a "manzai" series, since really the only "manzai" character relations are Yomi and Tomo and Ms. Kurosawa and Ms. Yukari.

I really enjoy how it uses its ensemble cast of distinct personalities and bounces them off of one another in unique ways all in "mundane" situations, as opposed to using a bunch of mundane characters in "unique" situations, which happens a lot in the sort of "sitcom" setup. Its use of comedic timing (I have never seen a show in which 5 second of silence can be gut-bustingly hilarious) as well as bizarre and interesting facial expressions (one of Kiyohiko's great trademarks) and a bunch of other random little things, unintentional or otherwise, (like the way Kamineko looks when he detaches himself from Sakaki's arm) really make it out to me above the rest. I think the anime which comes closest in these respects is probably Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu, which would probably be my second choice.

On the other hand, it is somewhat ironic that while Azumanga Daioh is my favorite comedy, I found Lucky Star, the show to which it is most often compared, to be a complete failure. In a sense, everything that Azumanga does right, Lucky Star does wrong, despite the fact that they are outwardly similar to one another. Basically, I think the fundamental error behind Lucky Star is to assume that the mundane and the "realistic," as well as inside cultural references, when made the exclusive focus of a show, are inherently funny. That is, simply because I "get" the references does not mean that they are used in a clever or amusing way. As Zac said, references by themselves "aren't jokes." I probably laughed (by which I really mean "chuckled a little") maybe five times over the course of the entire series, which, for a straight-up comedy, is in my eyes an abysmal failure.

Comedy where it doesn't belong:

For examples of this (and I realize most will probably disagree with me), I felt like Trigun and Fullmetal Alchemist could have been greatly improved if they had been more serious. I found myself having a difficult time taking the "serious" elements of those shows seriously, particularly in the latter, where it seems like every time they would begin to build up to something really dramatic and interesting they would break it off with some goofy scene of Ed freaking out after someone called him midgit. It is almost as if they didn't expect their audience to be able to handle dramatic weight of a certain situation unless they cut away to a joke shortly thereafter.
On the other hand, I think that the Full Metal Panic series did a surprisingly effective job of blending serious drama, action, and comedy, more so over the course of its three seasons than necessarily in the first season alone.

Dark comedy:
As another poster mentioned, I am surprised that no one on the podcast mentioned Welcome to the NHK in this category, since this series has always struck me as something of the quintessential "dark comedy" anime, as well as one of my personal favorites. However, I do think it functions better as a deeply profound story about overcoming psychological limitations and taking responsibility for oneself than simply a comedy, although it does have a great sense of humor.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
nietzschesass wrote:
About the remarks about lack of irony or sarcasm in the Japanese language, it's one of the typical, naive observations made among Japanese learning communities.

I certainly didn't register today intending to make a first post that makes me look like a smart a**, but if you can find irony and sarcasm used in the Tale of Genji completed in the early 11th century in the form easily recognizable by readers today, you can bet the language doesn't lack irony and sarcasm.

The use of irony and sarcasm is just as individual- and country-specific and you have to know how to recognize it (not necessarily in anime), which entails a good knowledge of the target language, thus leading novice learners to make assumptions that aren't really truthful about the reality.

Honestly, everyone here should pin this up on their computer desktops so that they see it every time they're about to post their tired "There is no irony or sarcasm in Japanese language" treaties. It's become one of the most aggravating stereotypes online, and reveals not just a lack of facility in Japanese language, which is understandable, but rather a lack of actual experience or understanding when watching/reading Japanese-origin media in general. Perhaps once a stereotype is entrenched, some people just willfully ignore the facts that go against their personal stereotypes.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
It's bad enough it took 61 minutes for Fumoffu to be mentioned, but to go the WHOLE show without mentioning School Rumble is unacceptable. Absolutely the best comedy I've seen, anime or not. Some of my favorite humor is the kind where there's no punchline per say, but the situations the characters get themselves are the "punchline". Take, for example, the scene in the School Rumble OVA where Harima is exercising naked and Eri walks in. No one makes a joke, but the way Harima and Eri react, and what Akira says when she walks in are hi-lar-i-ous. Since that's School Rumble whole shtick, and they do it extremely well, that makes it an easy choice for best in my opinion.

I'm also a big of the dark comedy, mostly because I like seeing other people gasp. I guess half the fun is laughing at the other people who are offended, and I don't mean that to sound as nasty as it seems, as people are certainly entitled to be offended by something like Maria Holic or any other dark comedy. Perhaps it's because I grew up experiencing a good bit of racism, but as I grew older, I learned to shrug it off and laugh and be genuinely amused by it. That's why I love race jokes and put a big smile on my face when Brad said he loved race jokes. That's also why I laugh when someone is being legitimately racist.

Otaku shows are also pretty entertaining, though I do agree they're A LOT funnier when you're more hardcore. Like, when I first started watching anime, one of the first shows I watched was Lucky Star, and at the time I found it pretty funny, but a lot of jokes certainly flew over my head. However, about a year and a half later, after I had racked up well over 200 other shows into my viewing catalog, I watched it again. The second time through, after experiencing more anime and more Japanese-centric jokes and humor, I found Lucky Star gut busting hilarious. I'm hoping to do the same with Excel Saga pretty soon since that's one that flew over my head when I first watched it (and only got half way though). Two of my favorite in-jokes are honorific jokes (like calling someone -chan instead of -san or -kun) and the boku/watashi joke. The second is actually weird, since I don't even know why I like it so much, but I find it funny when a girl uses boku to refer to herself and a guy points it out and makes fun of them.

My favorite comedy type, though, are straight comedies like School Rumble, Ninja Nonsense and Fumoffu. I have nothing against RomComs and the like, but I like shows much better when the comedy is always the center of attention instead of tacked on. I love stand up, sketch comedy, improv, comedy movies, just comedy and laughing in general. So I always tend to gravitate more towards shows that are more comedy than anything else, and I always appreciate a straight comedy since we hardly ever get those.

As for all this love Azumanga Diaoh is getting, I'm going to be the contrarian say it's not that funny. Don't get me wrong, I found really funny the first time, but the second and third time through it was a lot less funny. The fourth time through I only got 4 episodes in before I decided to watch something else. I know I said I love Lucky Star, but AZD is just really slow and got pretty boring. I don't think manzai (learned a knew word today) works that well when it's taken so slowly. Perhaps I'd like the manga more, even though I typically having nothing against 4-koma anime.

And finally, on dub rewrites. I agree with Zac: as long as it's funny, I don't care. Then again, I'm also the person that thinks dubs would be better being a bit more liberal at times, so I may be a little bias since I like and encourage rewrites. Also, just how different is Shin Chan? I get it's a complete rewrite, but from what I understand, the Japanese version is about a crude little boy and is filled with tons and tons of Japanese references and jokes. The American version is about a crude little boy and is filled with tons and tons of Amercian references and jokes. Isn't the spirit of the show still there? I think that's what makes it different from the likes of Ghost Stories and Super Milk Chan.

This was a great podcast and I'm angry at myself for not asking if I could be a part of it when you asked for volunteers. I backed off because I'm not an insider and just an average fan, but I still should've tried.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how many anime fans other than me are into it, but I might be one of the handful of anime fans that are also into family/regular sitcoms like the Cosby Show, My Wife & Kids, George Lopez show, the Nanny, the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, mostly stuff I've seen on Nick at Nite past and present among a few other things. There's also the Pixar and Disney films stuff (namely from the 90's Disney renaissance) that I admire. Now what I like specifically about these examples as far as comedy are a few things.

The first being that with say comedians like Damon Wayans or Bill Cosby or even Chris Rock in their respective shows, the lines they say in their dialogue and how they execute them and who they're speaking to or referring to as they say a line, makes me laugh a lot. Even when they are say insulting another character, they're not calling a character a nickname like classmates from a school life anime show. They refer to something distinctive about the character or his/her figure and then "roast" the character.

The second being that facial expressions and use of gestures make a HUGE difference for me as far as acting out the humor of a show, which most sitcoms and even American cartoons do and anime shows rarely do and anime shows don't do that because of constantly being limited on the use of animations. I like how a character's facial expressions are frequently changing and flowing from raising an eyebrow to squinting, to wide-open eye-shock, to unamused eyelid-lowering, to an eye-roll. And the pupils on the eyes don't disappear. They move a certain way depending on what they're actually looking at or their emotion.

With anime, both of those factors especially the second one with the various, flowing facial expressions rarely ever happen unless it's a studio Ghibli film or shows made by studios that actually take the time to apply more key poses in scenes of a show like Kyoto animation, Bones, or A-1 pictures. And I get making anime shows is cheap and thus limited animations and key poses are neccessary. But it's gotten to the point where to substitute cheap animations in comedy or comedic scenes for cultural puns/references and still frame wacky expressions that last for 5 seconds each is limiting the audience to either otaku or anyone else in Japan. I would appreciate it if emphasizing on more various facial expressions occur which I would argue the broadest way to make people laugh. I don't want to feel like I have to be a veteran anime fan to handle the humor of parodies/spoofs/references to a certain genre in anime. Also, if studios are gonna adapt 4-panel gag stuff, then for god's sakes, limit the amount of time to no more than half an episode on whatever chapter one's adapting. And make sure you're setting up a story with the ending being a suitable punchline.

As I think about it, if I were to strictly compare between comedy in japanese animation and American animation, I can't help but compare their origins to the type of theatre animation of each region was influenced off of. Like my understanding is that American animations were influenced off of vaudiville shows, most of which were very silly and comedic while Japanese theatre probably not as much focused on humor from what I'm assuming.

And on a side note, I'm fine with liberal use of a script in dubs, especially if the show I watched in Japanese hardly tickled my funny bone at all (Hetalia is a prime example. Italy in Japanese seeming sleepy and dopey with little expression bored me ). I feel with the writers or even actors expressing certain altered lines for a dub helps add a bit more expression to a character and not that I've seen much of the Japanese version, but I know the dub of School Rumble definitely applies that. I think in the case of comedy, I don't really care at all about a dub needing to be faithful to the original version as long as it can make me laugh. And if the show wasn't funny to begin with or had some humor occur and the altered dub script ultimately added more humor to the show, then more power to the voice directors, actors, script writers, and engineers involved in it.

The King of Harts wrote:
, for example, the scene in the School Rumble OVA where Harima is exercising naked and Eri walks in. No one makes a joke, but the way Harima and Eri react, and what Akira says when she walks in are hi-lar-i-ous. Since that's School Rumble whole shtick, and they do it extremely well, that makes it an easy choice for best in my opinion.

Wait, don't tell me. You were thinking of some scene regarding Eri and Tenma in some misunderstanding about nudity, but couldn't recall which one tickled your funny bone, so you confused the extra class OVA scene for the episode 12 scene and your infinite wisdom led us to where we are now. Don't worry KingofHarts, I don't think too lowly of you, but I think you're a total screw-up. (*note: In case it wasn't clear, I wan't trying to be insulting. I was just making an inside joke.)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote
My comedy tastes vary. I enjoy the witty satire provided by Douglas Adams in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and the acerbic commentary on society by George Carlin, but I also love parody works like what the Zucker brothers did. Seinfeld was my favorite situation comedy of all time, with Jerry Seinfeld himself being one of my favorite comedians. But I can laugh just as easily at simple slapstick or low brow raunchiness. I listen to Howard Stern on a regular basis, and he's brilliantly funny at times, but in a way different way than others.

Likewise, my taste in anime comedies vary. The first anime comedy I ever got into was Excel Saga, which is largely a parody, while the manga was a satire. I love The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya's comedy, which largely relies on how over the top Haruhi is and how sarcastic Kyon's running commentary is. I love Nerima Daikon Brothers, FLCL, and Ebichu Minds The House. I like Astro Fighter Sunred, which relies on toku tropes, but also does a lot of everyday humor, which is why it's funny. Crayon Shin-chan is funny and even heartwarming, even though it's American version is mostly just shock humor. So I don't have any definitive line about what's funny and what isn't in anime.

I think that rewriting anime for American audiences sort of defeats the purpose of licensing anime to begin with. Sure, Funimation's Shin-chan is hilarious at times, but it's really not Crayon Shin-chan, so what's the point? Not to mention, after awhile, the same Brittany Spears/abortion/irregular vagina joke gets old. If Funimation didn't think it could sell Crayon Shin-chan as it was intended, it shouldn't have licensed it. I'm not looking for Funimation's creative input. I'm looking to enjoy Japanese animation. By changing the show, it stops being the show. With comedy, yeah, a certain amount of rewriting is necessary at times, no matter what, but completely transforming it just defeats the purpose. I look at Shin-chan and ask, "What was the point?"

I know comedy is a different beast than other shows, so certain latitude has to be given to people who dub these shows, but really, if they're going to completely transform the comedy of the show, then it's really not that show, is it?

I wonder, though, since Zac is a fan of Scott Pilgrim, whether he considers the criticism that Scott Pilgrim was just a series of references, with little humor of its own. I disagree with this criticism, because the humor doesn't come from the references themselves, but at the casual attitude towards the amazing events that occur.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ommadon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
My american tastes, things that make me bust a gut:
Hanna Barbera Tom and Jerry
The Big Lebowski
The Burbs
Ren&Stimpy(edit addition)

Some anime I thought was funny:
-Ninja Nonesense the Legend of Shinobu
-Lucky Star's "Anime Tenchou" shorts
-Mitsudomoe
-FMP fumofu
-Baka to Test ( the most otaku comedy I laughed at, There is a funny water fountain in the background of episode 2 I think.)

Some things that didn't amuse me the slightest:
Beelzebub
Cromartie

Last edited by ommadon on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Azumanga Daioh: I think this show has more mileage with guys than gals, just from what I've observed. The guys keep pushing it on female fans, who's reactions vary from "yeah,.. it was cute" to "it was ok." Overall, pretty ambivalent. I wonder why that is?

I only watched a couple of episodes, got distracted by something RL related and totally forgot that I was watching it. I'm only reminded of this show when it comes up in conversations like this.

I would love to hear some feedback from female fans who consider this their favorite comedy.
ultimafullmetal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I really like Azumanga Daioh, Yotsuba, Full Metal Panic Fummofu, School Rumble, and I've started reading Gintama and am enjoying it.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Alright, i'll comment as i'm listening to the podcast. BTW if Azumanga Daioh is not on someone's list, I will SUE!

Alex's favs - spoiler[ Mitch Hedberg (gooood choice) Detroit Metal City and Azumanga Daioh. What luck! I love you, Alex!!!! ]

Brad's favs - spoiler[ Dave Chappelle (nice!) Azumanga Daioh and Lovely Complex. 8D yes!!! Two for two! Come on, Zac! ]

Zac's favs - spoiler[ Doesn't like anime comedy? LOLWUT? Anyways, he likes Cromartie High School and Level E. I guess there are alright. ]

I love the 4-panel comedies. These are ones that are just, you know it's coming but you laugh either way. I do also like pun animes like
Sayanora Zetsubo Sensei. These are just "throw a joke in there and see what happens".

See, I think this is where you're wrong, Brad. With shows like "Lucky Star", you CAN just pop in an episode and go. That's why I also love "Azumanga Daioh" because unless you're just blind going into Japanese Culture, you'll laugh and love it.

Really, Zac? Most people I meet only know the terms of "desu", "kawaii" and "baka!". They don't get the jokes from japanese culture.

Well, of course you can't label all funny animes as "comedies". Some just have that funny feel, but it's not a comedy. Sort of like "FLCL" and "K-ON!". They have a funny feel, but it's more of something else than a comedy.

Yes, Zac, the Azumanga Daioh manga is pure genius. I thought it was a bit better than the anime, but it's a close contest. Though I will admit, "Lucky Star"'s manga didn't make me laugh near as much as the anime. Though i'm sure it was the sure friendly rivalry of Konata and Kagami.

"Genshiken" is just great. You'll get into it and compare your life to it. Unless you've never been in an anime club or gone to a con.

Of course there are animes that rely on pop culture and references. "Ghost Stories", "Sgt. Frog", "Shin Chan", and heck, even "FLCL" did it once or twice.

For a fresh audience? In my experiences, go with harcore moe. Especially stuff like "K-ON!" because i've even converted a guy into a K-ON! fan and he doesn't watch anime at all. Thing is, I would NEVER show someone Strike Witches just because unless they have a panty fetish, it'll get annoying. Even the plot doesn't save someone who doesn't like fanservice.

With Lucky Star, all you need to do is connect yourself with a character who reminds her of you and there you go.

YES, ZAC! I just can't get into sexual comedy. Once you show some girl getting her shirt ripped off or her panties show, it gets boring after two times. Stuff like Seitokai Yakuindomo and Girls Bravo just made me want to go insane.

Well, yeah, even B Gata H Kei got boring once or twice, but I can't believe I finished it Anime hyper. Zac, that's why it's called "Sex Comedy", because unless someone gets naked or gets caught looking at naked things, it's not funny. That's not comedy. That's cheap sex jokes. That's why I did not laugh at Eiken. Not ONCE.

Oh yeah, Higurashi. A show that makes you laugh, then makes you wanna go "Holy crap!". Though I think that's the beauty of it. Because you don't know what that show is. Is it comedy? Is it action? Is it mystery? We don't know. That's how it's different.

Pretty much, Zac. No one will focus on the comedy of "Higurashi", because the murder parts are just so dramatic, it's terrific. And no, Zac. I will NOT touch Rio: Rainbow Gate.

Anime hyper I guess Zac doesn't watch many comedies in America. BTW "Two and a Half Men" is awesome.

Yeah, I agree with Alex. Arakawa Under The Bridge I did not find funny, probably because whatever it was supposed to be, was lost in the anime.

Nabashiiiiin! I love him! Excel Saga is awesome! And yes, JC Staff is one of my favorite companies (No, it's not because they produced Azumanga Daioh Anime hyper)

Excel Saga was popular back in the day? Wow, where was I? Oh yeah, not into anime yet. Razz

I think so too that you don't need to be an otaku to be into Nabashin. That's what makes him awesome!

I totally agree. Comedy scripts aren't as good as back a decade ago. That's why I cry when I see comedies that aren't even good, because I wish people would actually go back to using actual comedy instead of cheap jokes and sex jokes.

Slice of Life comedies are what's been making me intrigued for the past 5 years. "Azumanga", "Lucky Star", "K-ON!", the works. And yes, Zac, I've never known anime to stick to one genre. That's why it's so hard to stick stuff like "FLCL" and "Genshiken" into one genre, because it's NOT just one genre. And yeah, Cowboy Bebop isn't a comedy. Anime hyper

Twitter notes! Yeah, it doesn't matter unless you're a weeaboo when it comes to sticking to the japanese notes or switching the jokes in dub. Because i'm pretty sure "Shin Chan" would not be as funny if it wasn't rewritten. And come on! "Ghost Stories" wasn't even funny in Japanese! And it kicked ass in english!

Wait, really Zac? Every show I see, there's one girl who excels at cooking! But then again, I can see the "girl can't cook" situation being a joke. Which would not be funny to me.

Well, if you're going to dark comedy, I could think of Welcome to the NHK because it was mostly serious, but it had comedy moments.

IMO, I never had to look up japanese culture to get the jokes. If it hit me, it hit me. If not, i'd give it a try some other time.

I would love romantic comedy....if I knew what love was Anime cry.

Yeah, Love Hina was 90% "punch keitaru", 10% "naru + keitaru".

Lucky Star IS funny, Zac! IT'S FUNNAY!

(NOTE: I didn't hear what show Alex was talking about, what show was like Family Guy and South Park?)

Hetalia is pretty edgy. But it's different, and that's what makes it great. Who would be able to come up with "hey, let's make each country around the world into guys and point out all stereotypes of each country?"

I agree with FMP: Fumoffu being a great idea. FMP is part comedy, part action and what better way to exploit the funnyness of FMP than to give it it's own comedy?

I love how these guys are talking about parody animes when I can't think of one show that is a parody! Anime hyper

"One type of comedy that should be exploited more often"? How about comedies that are actually funny? Like Azumanga? Level E? Pani Poni? Ouran? Cromartie? Like Zac said, "carefully planned"!

"What anime makes you laugh everytime you watch it?" - Hmm.....let me think.....*whistles Azumanga Daioh theme*. This anime just takes you on a ride, doesn't want to let you go, and you won't want to let it go either. Six girls, each with completely different personalities, make the Azumanga world one that is unlike any other. If you have not seen this, I don't think you need anymore proof to show you that this anime should be viewed by everyone. It has gone through hell and back to make millions of anime fans laugh and I think I can safely say that is the QUEEN of anime comedy.

That's it for me. Sorry for all the comments Anime hyper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

On Kuragehime:
Am I alone in not liking Princess Jellyfish? It was one third of a good show -- but still only a third. I demand at least a complete plot. It's not really even that funny. Just displaying various fujoshi tropes acting stereotypical isn't funny.

Complete plot is rarely present in anime adaptions of ongoing mangas. I agree, it sucks.
But most of the comedy in Kuragehime wasn't even about the otaku acting stereotypical. And these jokes were the weakest.
Eventhough, not even all of the otakus are acting stereotypical. Only Mayaya and Bamba, imho. Chieko and her ultimate sewing skills were just awesome imho Anime hyper And Tsukimi has many different sides to her character.

@ANNCast you guys should watch some Japanese live action comedies (aimed at mainstream audience) and see how they compare to anime comedies (aimed at nerd audience). I recommend My Boss My Hero, Ally of Justice, Moteki, Nodame Cantabile, Shimokita Glory Days.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Haven't got chance to listen to the ANNcast. But I'm a daily reader of Japanator. I was suprised to see Brad Rice to be in this podcast. Just a suggestion, Zac, is it possible to get Brian Ashcraft on ANNcast in the future. I think you probably know him as a writer for Kotaku and he does report a lot about Japanese culture (which include game, anime, and stuff from Japan) for Kotaku. It would be nice to have him on ANNcast in the future (he does live in Osaka Japan), and he might give us a better insight about Japan, and it's culture for us fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5