• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Infinite ryvius letdown

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oberkorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Now I made up my mind october last year, I went for Witch hunter Robin and saved Infinite ryvius for later, thinking that I might pick up the collection later on.
Now I'm done with Witch hunter Robin, and I loved it by the way, don't get me wrong but now the happiness has turned sour.

Bandai is releasing Witch hunter Robin in a boxset in October for far less money than I spent buying the volumes one by one, but is there any Infinite ryvius box in sight...no...no way Sad

I made a bad call in October last year, I won't trust Bandai to please me again, did anyone else make the same misstake that I did and feel just as dissapointed?

Last edited by oberkorn on Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, you should always wait to see if a box set is comming out if you dont want to spend too much money.
oberkorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:49 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that Bandai won't tell you anything, I wasn't gonna wait for both series a whole year, I'm just angry because they do a boxoffer on the series that I chose to collect and not Infinite ryvius that, I've been waiting for...It's not really fair...
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:58 pm Reply with quote
no, no its not fair. But you cant do anything about it, unfortunatly. You could write hate mail but chances are they wont do anything. Crying or Very sad
oberkorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I've e-mail Bandai vey politely and asked them why, still waiting for an answer though, last time I asked them something, it took a week to get a reply and it wasn't even an answer to the question.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:07 pm Reply with quote
The letter probaly said somthing like

"thank you for your comments we hope to sell you more stuff."

Thats just what they do, they probally dont care enough to write a letter so they make one letter; copy it over and over.
you pretty much struck out, Bandi isn't going to do anything, sorry. Crying or Very sad
oberkorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:12 pm Reply with quote
No, they actually said something abot them not being able to comment on that matter, so I don't think it was masscopied, I think that my question actually came as a surprise to them that time =)
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:23 pm Reply with quote
The thing to remember is that the series that is more popular (i.e. sells more) is usually gonna be the one that gets a boxset first.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
The thing to remember is that the series that is more popular (i.e. sells more) is usually gonna be the one that gets a boxset first.

definitaly.
gnollman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:17 pm Reply with quote
The great thing about Bandai is that, even if a series is only moderately successful, they will almost certainly put out a boxset of it. Crest of the Stars was hardly a runaway hit, but it received the boxset treatment as well....

It's only a matter of time....
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I read a rumour somewhere that supposedly Banner and Banner II are getting boxset treatments too - which is fustrating if true because I had picked up the single volumes because this site had advised a while ago that there were no boxsets in sight so anyone who wanted them should probably pick them up.

Oh well. I guess it's always a judgement call. I had made the choice because although Stars is one of my favorites, from what I've read it's not exactly a blockbuster; so I didn't want to wait for years for something that might not even happen.
oberkorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:27 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:

But if you think about it, the company should loose money that way. The fans of a popular series might be ready to buy separete volumes of it for a longer time than if the series aren't to popular, it's like killing your best milkcow if you know what I mean. Infinite ryvius won't sell more separete volumes just because they wait to release the boxset and for people who want's Witch hunter Robin, they just aren't gonna pay the extra money for separete volume with the collection coming up so soon.

I also heard from one store that last time they tried to order in Infinite ryvius vol 1 and 2, they were told that the titles are disscontinued...ain't that strange?
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:43 am Reply with quote
oberkorn wrote:

But if you think about it, the company should loose money that way.

Not really, there are plenty of people who will not buy individual releases because they deem the too expensive, and those of the younger audience that can asks for boxsets as presents.

That's the short answer at least.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:20 am Reply with quote
I preoder most of my DVDs so I save about 30% off retail which is a little more than most "box set" prices. For WHR it was a small decision to buy the last two volumes for $40 or to buy the box set and have an extra copy of 1-4 since it was announced a few months ago. It is a little harder for other series like Arjuna and Crest/Banner of the Stars where a single volume ($20) is a big portion of the very innexpensive 3-4 DVD box set. I've mainly opted to purchase the remaining DVD, although sometimes it is hard to find that last volume of Arjuna or Angel Links when the Box set is released. In the end you should ask how much a series is worth to YOU. I for one own all 13 Escaflowne shiny covered laser discs at 6000 Yen ($67 each at Nikaku) and all 10 Nadias at 5800 Yen and still think both series are worth it. Just because a series is now cheaper doesn't mean I was not willing to spend more for it. Then again there are some series like Brain Powered that I would never spend too much money for, but at Bandai's rerelease prices they are almost worth it. I suppose the key is not too look at how much a series cost compared to before, but rather how much it is worth to you. At least this is how someone who has spent thousands on import LDs keeps his sanity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1