• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your favorite dubbed anime.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy the work of Welcome to the NHK's DUB. Overall the characters felt real, and I only noticed a couple lines of dialog changed in the series.

Aquarion's was pretty great Great too. Although I can't do any comparisons with this one because I have only seen the English dub version.

The worst I've heard lately was Gurren Lagann. The moment I heard Kamina's voice in the English version I felt like the series was brutally raped and left for hostage.
Leeron's voice had too much "emotion" for what he was.
My review of the dub of GL is based on the first 2 episodes.
UsuiTakumi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quote
First of all your going to get many many people saying Cowboy Bebop. i LOVE steve blums voice acting but it isn't near my favorites
in overall cast. My favorite dubbed anime would be the Bang Zoom! Eureka 7 dub. I thought Johnny Yong Bosch did an amazing job on Renton, while Stephanie Shehs soft voice was perfect for the role of Eureka. I thought every character was cast perfectly. Oh yea can't forget about Crispin Freeman as Holland Smile

Honorable mention would be the Code Geass dub, Just for the fact that Johnny dominated the role of Lelouch. All i'm going to say is...

Code geass ENDING SPOLER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDuSUDlK2dc[/b]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Welcome to the NHK leaps to mind when thinking about great dubs. For me, there's also Black Lagoon, Death Note (the guy doing Ryuk was frickin' amazing - I have rarely heard a voice so perfectly match the visual) and most recently, Azumanga Daioh. In terms of more comedies, the FMP franchise and School Rumble were all well done, too. I have to give Moonphase a special shout-out because Monica Rial's take on a vampire brat was spot on.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I generally don't watch English dubs, but out of the few I've seen, I would say... Death Note and Code Geass. FLCL sounds amazing in the English dub too judging from the trailers. Those are the three that comes into my mind when I think of dubs.

I think I should start watching dubs more, I seem to be missing out on a lot.
UsuiTakumi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Death Note (the guy doing Ryuk was frickin' amazing - I have rarely heard a voice so perfectly match the visual

100% agree with Blood- here. Ryuks voice was really amazing. I'd like to also add that Light, and also L was really perfect also. I thought both of them nailed there parts.
Another final episode SPOILER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH4TN9jvVTQ spoiler[lol spaz attack]
Gentry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote
BECK without a facking doubt. All the songs sounds 5 times better without the daft engrish, people who state otherwise are chuckleheads. If the attempts at english had rivaled Eden Of The East then I would have watched it subbed but it was laughable.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:50 am Reply with quote
For me School Rumble. One of the few shows where I prefer the English dub.
crunchycat
I do Marketing for Anime Companies

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:55 am Reply with quote
I think Full Metal Alchemist has some of the best dubbing ever, also Outlaw Star and Trigun.

I think all 3 were done really well to the point I can watch them dub and enjoy them over and over.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop is one of the few that don't make me cringe. It shares that honor with Full Metal Alchemist, Tekkonkinkreet, and most Ghibli films (seriously, Christian Bale as Howl was the coolest thing ever).
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:30 am Reply with quote
Bebop is a given, the Big O is still my favorite though. Macross Plus would be another notable dub for me.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:29 am Reply with quote
Normally I'm not huge on English dubs. There are plenty I like, but not many that I truly love. The ones I do I refer to as "The Grand Pantheon".

The current members of this exclusive club are thus:

- Cowboy Bebop (TV series and movie) - The energy, chemistry, and personality of this English dub makes it so natural to listen to in English.

- The Big O (both seasons) - A dub that I actually prefer to listen to rather than the Japanese track. The characters sound more natural in English and the performances, every single one of them from major to minor characters, is well-casted and well-performed.

- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (both seasons and Solid State Society) - Much like the CB dub, there's a real chemistry to this dub, almost like the VAs are all friends or long time colleagues (even though they were likely all recorded separately, as is usually the case). The English language helps long stretches of fast-and-dense speeches involving technobabble.

- Hellsing (and Hellsing Ultimate) - Besides the British accents, there's a real sense of knowledge and life to the characters in the dub, and you can tell it's a production informed by smart decisions by bright staff. I really enjoy Crispin Freeman's Alucard, because you can tell he's enjoying himself as much as the character himself.

- FLCL - This dub is all about it's leads, Barbara Goodson and Kari Wahlgren. Well, mostly the latter, but plenty of the former too, at times. Walhgren really grabs hold of the viewer, really bringing Haruko to life with a bizarre charm, almost seductive at times.

- Death Note - Definitely one of Ocean's best work to date, the Death Note dub has the distinction of having a lot of newcomers who do just as well, if not better, than some of the veteran VAs involved. Of course, the veteran VAs also perform solidly, too. Brad Swaile has Light down really well soon into the show and continues to excel all the way to the end.

- Black Lagoon - Another amazing Ocean dub, and another with Brad Swaile as beleaguered, idealistic Rock. However, it's not Swaile that makes this dub, though he does a good job. It's Marÿke Hendrikse's Revy, full of piss and vinegar, with just the right amount of attitude for the role.

- Baccano! - The only Funimation dub that has ever really blown me away. I love it. The accents are great and never sound phony, the dialogue is excellent and delivered brilliantly by the VAs. It even has VAs that I normally dislike doing pretty good turns in some pretty significant characters. However, the star of the dub and the reason that this one really pushed its way up here with these others is Bryan Massey, who makes Ladd Russo delightfully psychotic. This was proof that Funimation can actually make some damn good dubs, even if they normally don't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kiddtic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:47 am Reply with quote
Im primarily a Sub guy but I do watch series Dubbed.

here is my favourite.

Soul Eater : This is the only show I absolutely prefer dubbed can not even imagine watching it subbed. The lead roles are perfect and they are "newbs" too which is great for the industry. of course theres Laura Bailey in there and this is cliche but I love Vic Mignognas' performance as Spirit as well.

Baccano!: reasons already mentioned I love the accents. Christopher frikkin Patton!!!

FMA... both: Its just done so well especially brotherhood.

Naruto: Yes Naruto! it has a good dub and a stellar cast. Way too many good performances to talk about.

Lucky Star: Wendee Lee, Kari Wahlgren etc so many great performances. You just have to watch it to experience it.

Theres a whole lot of other shows that are good like NGE, Eureka 7 and Haruhi Suzumiya. Dubbed anime is a matter of taste really you just have to be patient and a lot linient.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:30 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
- Baccano! - The only Funimation dub that has ever really blown me away. I love it. The accents are great and never sound phony, the dialogue is excellent and delivered brilliantly by the VAs. It even has VAs that I normally dislike doing pretty good turns in some pretty significant characters. However, the star of the dub and the reason that this one really pushed its way up here with these others is Bryan Massey, who makes Ladd Russo delightfully psychotic. This was proof that Funimation can actually make some damn good dubs, even if they normally don't.

Never sound phony? Wow, to me the accents were about on par with Bugs Bunny's "I shoulda took a left toin at Albakoykey." Which is fine - for the type of show Baccano! is, I don't think having the characters sound "authentically" New York would have worked. I think the more cartoony approach was probably the right way to go, but of course a cartoony approach is inherently phony. Just one man's opinion, but I consider Bacanno! over-rated. To use a phrase I saw Zac employ once, it "reeked of effort" - effort to be shocking and/or "cool." The Ladd Russo character is exhibit A - anytime he was onscreen, I got the impression the show was saying, "Ooooo, isn't he just so psychotically badass??? Don't you just love it? Right??? RIGHT???" Well, no actually. But this is all part of the grand subjectivity of all entertainment/art forms, I guess.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:16 am Reply with quote
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust. I know it was first done in English, so probably the Japanese one should be considered as dub, but so was Ninja Scroll I think, and Highlander. And they were nto even half as good. Everything was perfect, and Andy Philpot's voice should be an encyclopedia entry for what a vampire should sound like.

FMA1; the reason why I am not mentioning Brotherhood is because the new Scar was a huge disappointment for me.

Id say Baccano!, just because I really enjoy listening to the original. I dont really care about the accents since I have no clue about how they should sound like.

Fruit's Basket, because the original version really did not do the trick for me, I had difficulties staying tuned to it listening to whoever did Yuuki's voice.

There were a few others with good dub, but the original always managed to top them up.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:19 am Reply with quote
I loved Baccano! to death but that dub, definitely reeked of phony to me, I gotta agree with Blood- on that one.

Anyway, for some good dubbed anime for me:
Yu Yu Hakusho
Sure, Kuwabara sounds fairly ridiculous, even if Christopher R. Sabat is just awesome as him (it just makes it a bit hard for me to take Kuwabara seriously, glad I'm not expected to 99% of the time), but I think everyone hits their marks really well, I can't imagine their voices any other way to be honest. If it means anything, when I've read other manga, I've read character voices as having voices from YYH (for example, Madarao from Kekkaishi I read with Genkai's voice, imagine my disappointment on the voice they gave her Sad )

I think Robotech is another great one.
This was a pretty early one too, I've seen other animated shows from the 80s, American ones too, and an awful lot of those dubs must have just gone "it's for kids, just read your lines, take your paycheck and get out of here", an awful lot of 80s dubs, anime or otherwise, are just awful. It took a while to get that ironed out too, Garzey's Wing was dubbed way afterwards but oho boy is it hilariously bad. But then you have Robotech which stands above dubs even today, a few lines might come off as cheesy every so often (I kinda chalk that up to the time), but the voices all fit very well and really helped suck me into the show. Though if I had one complaint, it's the dub for Masters Saga, Dana's VA is quite annoying, I've seen the show in sub, far better, they were much better at picking out males than females most of the time.

That's it for now, there are others I'm simply too lazy to write about right now (like Cowboy Bebop or Outlaw Star)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5