• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japanese Staple Anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Is there any one anime that in Japan is nearly universally liked by all Japan's anime viewers?

Example of this would be Cowboy Bebop here in the U.S. A very large percentage of America likes Bebop and it shows. ANN's top 10 anime, and the fact that nearly everyone I have ever met who has watched Bebop liked it to varying degrees.

Does Japan have an anime like that or are the usually divided about most anime?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:28 pm Reply with quote
By "very large percentage of America", do you mean anime fans only? Because it isn't exactly in the news or being parodied, and stuff.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I would say any Miyazaki film.
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
By "very large percentage of America", do you mean anime fans only? Because it isn't exactly in the news or being parodied, and stuff.

I mean the community. The entire country I guess. Whatever the largest mass prefers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
gnollman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I've never met a Japanese person who didn't have fond memories of Doraemon and Sazae-san....
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:30 am Reply with quote
I don't think staple series exist really. Doraemon I guess would be universal, but so is Sesemea Street in the US. I'd also like to say I wasn't that impressed by Cowboy Beop. I didn't really like the characters that much, and the plots/general style/conent of the show wasn't that interesting.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:32 am Reply with quote
Doraemon!!.

Yup, it's widely popular and a good childhood cartoon for many adults. Popular in many parts of Asia as well.

Also in GTO, onizuka did a parody of Doramon (and devilman) which I think was kinda cleaver.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:59 am Reply with quote
I would have to agree with Kagemusha about Myazaki films. If you watch the "making of Spirited Away" special included on the DVD you will get a sense of how big a deal Princess Mononoke was in Japan.
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:37 am Reply with quote
Doraemon is just known all over the world. However, out of Japan, it's more destinated to children than just consider it anime.

Probably, Dragon Ball is one of the most known series in Japan. For that reason, it was commercialized so much, because they saw it as the "Anime boom splash". Even more, you can also find Dragon Ball series at local japanese television channels, instead of lot of strange series as many people think..

And, since One Piece has the record of manga selling, I guess it's also very known.
YUGI

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Astro boy for everybody. Lupin for the adults.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Sarki-Kun wrote:
Doraemon is just known all over the world. However, out of Japan, it's more destinated to children than just consider it anime.

Probably, Dragon Ball is one of the most known series in Japan. For that reason, it was commercialized so much, because they saw it as the "Anime boom splash". Even more, you can also find Dragon Ball series at local japanese television channels, instead of lot of strange series as many people think..

And, since One Piece has the record of manga selling, I guess it's also very known.

Just because it's "destinated" for child doesn't mean that it's not anime. It's still anime dude. And just because it's a children anime, that doesn't mean that older folks don't have fond memories of it as thier childhood show.
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Of course I know it's anime. What I was trying to say is that many children, while they watch it, they don't know that's anime. My little sister doesn't know it.

I know it, but I don't watch it. Just that, many people who watches it, doesn't know even what's anime, and people who knows it (as us), usually doesn't see it.
kimi kudo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I think Gundam is so popular in Japan especially after the last hit of Gundam seed ( the best ) and now all othe Japaness are waiting unpationatly for the NEW Gundam seed destiny which will start airing on 9/10/2004

note: sorry for my bad english but English is'nt my first langouge Embarassed
Onv

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Sazae-san.
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Onv wrote:
Sazae-san.

Shocked This series has over 1700 episodes. Its a collection of 3 stories per episode. Its been on since 1969 and its still continuing. This is the longest series ever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2