• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
When does One Piece start getting good?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, this topic again.

Yeah, i've been really trying to get into One Piece for the last month and 1/2. I'm only going to read the manga (because i'm sorry, but 600+ episodes is too much for me) but right now i'm on volume 4. Am I close to it getting good or how much farther do I need to go?

Last edited by SonicRenegade84 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agito∞

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
If your not liking it from volume 4, chances are you won't like it period.
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
One piece isn't a comic or just another anime series, it's an adventure. You can't rush it.

You're not into One piece is all. I'm guessing you don't like RPG's?

Luffy's got to gather his crew and find a ship so that he can head for the Grand Line. Obtaining the Going Merry and Nami's hometown is where the major shit goes down.

It would be better for you to watch the anime. We're up to ep 479. Truly it's really not that much once you've seen it.

The One piece's anime is pulled straight from the manga, unlike Bleach or Naruto. Especially Naruto. (Why filler? Why!) So you don't need to read through 12 years of manga to get there.

That's you though, whatever.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
One Piece manga picks up around the 8th or 9th Volume, when Arlong Park is introduced. It gets REALLY good around Whiskey Peak/Start of Alabasta arc, maybe Vol 11 or 12. It gets CRAZY good after Skypiea, especially the Water 7/Enies Lobby arc which I think is 29 or something like that.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm only going to read the manga (because i'm sorry, but 600+ episodes is too much for me) but right now i'm on volume 4.

Avoidable episodes:
Quote:
One Piece
Episode 050 - 051
Episode 054 - 060
Episode 093
Episode 098 - 099
Episode 101 - 102
Episode 131 - 143
Episode 196 - 206
Episode 213 - 216
Episode 220 - 225
Episode 226 Another part-filler, but watch it anyway. This is Luffy's fight with Aokiji, which is also important.
Episode 279 - 283 This is mostly a recap of the crew's individual pasts, but there is an important bit at the end of 283 which advanced the plot.
Episode 303
Episode 291 - 292
Episode 317 - 319
Episode 326 - 336
Episode 382 - 384
Episode 406 - 407

Well then, down to 400 after 5 seconds surfing the web.

How far to go? All the way, of course. But if it's painful get to Arlong's arc, finish it, then drop it, and hope, my friend; hope that you get nostalgic a few years later.
If it helps, I dropped One Piece after a single episode 1 or 2 years before revisiting the series.
The thoughts I had of One Piece? Weird, immature/childish, crappy art, retarded protagonist, idiotic setting, ridiculous powers & villains, shallow characters, and so on.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
The manga is even longer so what you said makes no sense. They are both equally long.

Um One Piece is a hate it or love it anime, however, the main question is how old are you? If you are 10-13 then yeah ull like On Piece and all of their stupid whacky jokes....physical humor too. If you are in your late teens or an adult, why are you watching One Piece? Of course third rate rudimentary humor will not appease you. Too old for it.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you are in your late teens or an adult, why are you watching One Piece?

For the same reason you're trolling us: entertainment.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
If you are in your late teens or an adult, why are you watching One Piece?

For the same reason you're trolling us: entertainment.

Dude look up the word troll. Well you have ego so......imo that's not really a good name. You know....all of the negative connotations

Question: He asked whether the anime would get good and if it's likable.

Response: It depends on your age. If you are a kid you'll like rudimentary humor. If you are 17+ years old you probably wont like elementary physical humor. For the most part that is true.

Your response: Stop Trolling!!!!

oO So your saying I'm not allowed to answer the question? Was my comment that offensive? No you just disagreed and labeled me a troll. Now thats rich. Especially since it's coming from a person who does not know what the word means.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
No, my reply was "entertainment"; the rest was just indirect insult.

lol I know why state the obvious. Also you weren't subtle. You were being direct. As I pointed out, you unjustly called me a troll and you quoted me so that I would know who you are talking about. You quoted....that's not being indirect.

I did answer the question nor did I rant. Oops, now you are just covering your ass. Now I am being what I like to call an ass-hole. So even.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Most people will say once you get to the Arlong Park Arc, that's when it gets good. Some will say the Sanji Arc is when they started liking and others have hung around until the Chopper and Albasta Arcs before they decided they actually liked it respectively.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote
So technically, everyone's answer is the Arlong Park arc. Thanks for letting me know.

And i'm 19, but i'm just trying to see what the heck all the praise is about. Naruto and Bleach destroyed my trust with it's filler (and yet the mangas are good Confused) so i'm seeing if OP will do the same.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:49 am Reply with quote
Listen man, you will not be dissapointed in ONE Piece. It's an adventure.

I can't stand the idea of them destroying the Naruto anime. Kishi's manga is so good, Why make garbage filler?? It's unbelievable compared to the manga. It's an injustice and should be punished.

Bleach on the other hand, I've seen about 25 of the 301 episodes. ANd the Movie that came out in American theaters. (I hate Dubs, but the movie had a great dub!) I've jumped into random episodes (over the last couple years ) and, I don't see why this series has fans? NOTHING HAPPENS!!!! Do something KUBO!! Get some Zombie Power up in that bitch!

If you want to go through ONE Piece everyone on this site is willing to talk about it. I've got two friends that are on episode 91 and episode 108 of the anime. (Drum island arc) You want to talk about it we are all ears.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the Arlong Park arc is where you really bond with the crew. And whoever said that 17+ can't enjoy OP is ridiculous; I'm on the wrong side of 30, just started reading OP last year and am addicted to it after avoiding it for so long.

OtakuExile wrote:

Bleach on the other hand, I've seen about 25 of the 301 episodes. ANd the Movie that came out in American theaters. (I hate Dubs, but the movie had a great dub!) I've jumped into random episodes (over the last couple years ) and, I don't see why this series has fans? NOTHING HAPPENS!!!! Do something KUBO!! Get some Zombie Power up in that bitch!

Bleach really picks up in the second season Soul Society arc, which is from ep. 21-63. Then comes a bunch of boring filler, and I pretty much dropped it, although some of the later canon Hueco Mundo story is pretty decent.
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:59 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Yeah, the Arlong Park arc is where you really bond with the crew. And whoever said that 17+ can't enjoy OP is ridiculous; I'm on the wrong side of 30, just started reading OP last year and am addicted to it after avoiding it for so long.
I'm 29 and I can't get enough of One Piece. It instills the adventure I've dreamed about since the 80's. Well since the secret of mana days!

OtakuExile wrote:

Bleach on the other hand, I've seen about 25 of the 301 episodes. ANd the Movie that came out in American theaters. (I hate Dubs, but the movie had a great dub!) I've jumped into random episodes (over the last couple years ) and, I don't see why this series has fans? NOTHING HAPPENS!!!! Do something KUBO!! Get some Zombie Powder up in that bitch!

kyokun703 wrote:
Bleach really picks up in the second season Soul Society arc, which is from ep. 21-63. Then comes a bunch of boring filler, and I pretty much dropped it, although some of the later canon Hueco Mundo story is pretty decent.
Thank you, I've wanted to stick with Bleach but I've been so busy that I couldn't keep up. spoiler[ So after Ichigo's dad reveals that he (and his crew) are old school shinigami that it get's interesting? Anime hyper I'm down. I'll check it out, right now!]
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
So am I the only person who enjoyed One Piece from the very beginning? I thought it was good from episode one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2