• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Twilight Director Hardwicke Hints at Anime Version

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDespair

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
As far as I can tell, the Twilight movie was already basically a live action anime so this move would actually make a lot of sense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Halogen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:31 pm Reply with quote
There are a lot more deserving titles that need an anime.

Twilight is not one of them. Rolling Eyes
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I can only imagine what kind of conversations are going on over at 4chan and Gaia.
from what I can see is a lot of users disliking the idea a few stupid people saying racial comments probably just some trolls trying to start flames and Very few users freaking out over the idea as far as I can see, and throughout the forums seems there's only one thread about it
.:edit:. and of course the vampire knight jokes are popping up
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Just because Twilight MAY have an anime doesn't mean it'll suddenly make anime a "cool" mainstream thing you'll no longer only have to yourselves, because that's the only complaint I'm really seeing here.
I don't know about most users here but I prefer to share what anime I have with friends most of which don't really watch it but do try watching it, I don't honestly feel hoarding anime is such a good thing imho I think it's better to share anime and try to explain to others what it is instead of letting the old stereotypes float about, my main discontent for this idea is my utter disgust for the twilight series, personally I think the books are dry in all sense of a real story and what not and I seriously think the only thing keeping it afloat is dim fans (not saying all) and the annoying fan girls drooling over something that isn't real. what I stated earlier in a previous post was basicly my opinion that I seriously dislike twilight and whoever thought of this idea should suffer something awful

Last edited by MagusGuardian on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, this subject really brings out the "maturity" of a lot of users. Maybe there's just something about Twilight that brings out the Middle/High Schooler in all of us.

It's far from the end of the world and some of you need to get out of the elitist attitude. Just because Twilight MAY have an anime doesn't mean it'll suddenly make anime a "cool" mainstream thing you'll no longer only have to yourselves, because that's the only complaint I'm really seeing here.

This reminds me of the that one South Park episode with Butters, Twilight, and the Vampires... That was such a great episode. I just can't see the Otaku handling the situation as well as the Goths.

And yes, there are millions of stories that exist and are well written, and you might think them to be the most awesome thing ever (Anne Rice's vampire chronicles hands down owns all other vampire related lit), but if it doesn't have the market or fanbase, it doesn't make it a very sound business investment in anime form. Business is business.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Seems I may have to post this in 2 parts due to a limit size per post, so here goes:

Murasakisuishou wrote:

Although really, does Twilight have any less substance than a number of existing romance anime? It's a dumb-as-bricks love story that ignores all vampire canon, I grant you, and the writing isn't that great, but I don't think this merits the 'death to all involved'. It's just silliness.

Exactly. Many romance anime/manga have violated standard vampire canon too (mixing vampire and Eastern mythologies, for example).

Pocky Monster wrote:

The anime world doesn't need Twilight! This is just an excuse to capitalise on its popularity...

And what's the difference between that and making an anime capitalizing on a manga or a game's popularity, pray tell? Rolling Eyes

Psycho 101 wrote:
All the tween girls who think the vampires in Twilight are just so dreamy would stab their own family members to download this and squee in joy. You know the ones I'm talking about.

Yeah, we know the ones, like some anime fangrrrls we see at cons. Laughing

RadicaLElly wrote:

I already hate this franchise like burning. I'd rather not see any sparkly, emotionally abusive vampires and their mary sue girlfriends squirm their way into anime, thank you.

Like anime/manga don't do the very same thing already. Didn't the ANN chicks not too long ago talked about how many girls in shoujo are bland to make the female viewer easier to view herself in that role?

RadicaLElly wrote:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make in relaying its demographics, but my problem with it is the types of messages it delivers to young girls. It seems to all boil down to true happiness being to give up everything for your man, marry young and start squeezing out babies ASAP.

Yeah, just like many anime/manga. Nothing new here, move along, move along. Razz

Unholy_Nny wrote:
Eh, I read the entire series. It's not that bad. Mediocre would be a better description, but people like to attack things that are popular, so... whatever.

Anyways, the ENTIRE time I was reading the books I was getting shojo-manga vibes, so this doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Many shoujo anime/manga are mediocre and bland too, but they have their fans. Often, they forgive the shoujo anime/manga's shortcomings because they like some characters so much, that they're in love with him or her, dress up as him or her at cons, etc.

I think many shoujo fans are just ticked because Twilight stole their thunder. Because the mainstream finally woke up to something shoujo-ish, but it's not shoujo - at least not their shoujo. They have always hoped that shoujo would catch on in American mainstream, but they couldn't fathom that the American mainstream would have the gall to like its own home brand of shoujo. If this was anime, they'd be all over it like white on rice. Anime hyper

Murasakisuishou wrote:
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:

The main difference between Twilight and existing romance anime: Twilight is full of crappy Mary Sue and Gary Stu characters.

And no one's ever made a romance anime with those either?

Yep, exactly. The ANN chicks even talked about that. Nobody ever said that they shouldn't make a Fushigi Yuugi anime. (All they say is just don't watch it if you don't want to.) Laughing

fighterholic wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Based off what I've seen (we've sold a ton of those books at my job) the demographic is teens to mid adults.

To some degree a anime is going to far, but an eroge is what really would be considered going way too far for some people.

The demographic is most definitely for the female audience. And even some of them are putting on hate for the series and movie. Like my sister and mother. They don't get it at all and I'm glad they don't either. It basically is a fangirl's dream come true.

Don't go to anime cons then... Full of fangirls acting out their dreams. Laughing

fighterholic wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I can see why females would be against this. Giving up one's ambitions and dreams just to get close to "cool" type guy? What kind of message is that sending to the demographic.

It's like moe, I understand more than I did a year ago, but there are still aspects that confuse me. In modern day, I somewhat surprized the princess wanting a knight to take her away mentality hasn't faded away.

Apparently the content becomes more sexualized as the series progresses. And from what it sounds like it gets pretty graphic as well. To the point that I'm told that if they were to release more of these movies it wouldn't hold on a PG-13 level if they wanted to stay "faithful" to the novel.

Well, so it grows with its audience. Heck, many moe shows do the same thing within the span of the series. It starts out all cute and stuff, then goes all psychotic and heavily dramatic at the end, e.g. Shuffle. Heck sometimes, a N. American publisher licenses a manga for a certain age group, then the manga in Japan becomes more adult (at least in terms of America), e.g. Shadow Star.

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I would be very, very happy if Twilight became an anime, for the simple reason that Shojo anime needs more support, marketing and love in the US.

Think about it: when was the last time you saw a Shojo anime airing on American TV? Let alone a U.S.-Japan collaboration effort similar to Afro Samurai or Witchblade?

For every Fruits Basket and Ouran that actually gets licensed and produced, there's a NANA, Love*Com, Honey and Clover, and even, yes, Vampire Knight waiting in the wings. It's about time that the "shojo manga" phenomenon (y'know, the one that taught US book sellers and comic companies that girls and women would actually buy and read graphic novels if the subjects interested them?) became a "shojo anime" phenomenon, and a Twilight anime could do just that.

Yeah, unfortunately, shoujo is dead on American TV. The closest we had recently were W.I.T.C.H. and even The Winx Club. The Canadians are closest right now with their 6teen; no surprise since Sailor Moon became a #1 hit there.

Agent355 wrote:

An off-topic note on Harry Potter: all of you waiting for a Harry Potter anime will probably never see it, because sadly, JK Rowling is very possessive of her work and her characters, and I can't see the same woman that insisted that all the actors be British in the movie adaptations of her books greenlighting a Japanese spin-off and reinterpretation of her books. *sigh*, too bad, to, because as a HP and anime fan, it would've been nice. Oh well. "Negima?!" is close enough, right? (JK!!! ) Razz

Hey, I thought anime fans prefer the creators take charge! Laughing

LunarianWarrior wrote:
If they are going to make an anime of it, at least make it more interesting than the original story. They had to listen to the fangirls now? Seriously T _ T (yes acting as a hater ^ _ ^)

Do you even hear what you're saying right now?! You're advocating they change the original story because the story is not interesting enough to them? Isn't that what Hollywood already does? So you're just replacing "Americanization" with "Japanization" and alienating the original fans. Isn't that what's being done to you anime guys right now? Are ya guys that masochistic?! Laughing

Hagaren_Otaku726 wrote:

I've never read it, and probably never will, but I always enjoyed the girls at school complaining endlessly about the movie and yet praising the book as if it were a god of some sort.

Yeah, like manga fans who do the same to anime. Wait, what's that I hear? FMA 2 coming out? Laughing

Mad_Scientist wrote:

Uh, no, they don't send any real message about whether it will work or not. These comments are coming from people who already HATE the source material. Of course they aren't going to be interested in a Twilight anime.

But apparantly, there are a lot of people who don't hate Twilight. It's those people's reactions that are more important.

Exactly. Like some people who already hate anime in general - they aren't going to be interested in a Twilight anime. Those people would be saying things against anime as those anime fans saying against Twilight.

Youkai Warrior wrote:
Say it ain't so! First, Twilight ruins the way vampires are portrayed, and now it's invading the thing I love! When willl this fad pass! Why the Japanese would want to make an anime of this,

Like Japanese anime studios don't already make anime out of such manga.... Rolling Eyes

Bluebeard wrote:
Honestly, they could do anything they wanted with Twilight and it would make money whether it be an anime, bubblegum, or toilet paper.

Like Haruhi. Razz

Seriously, I'm just laughing how similar some anime/manga fangirls/boys are like some Twilight fangirls. If Twilight was originally Japanese, the 2 groups would be the exact same thing, without any changes! They'd be fawning how bishie Ed is with his hot sparkling body (regardless of vampire canon) and be dressing as him at anime cons. No matter how flawed the original is. It's uncanny when you just step back and see. Laughing

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
romanchan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
It's so funny how many of you enjoy ranting about the Twilight books and how they became so popular when a lot of you have user avatars from popular anime series with a lot of fandom.

I guess you must be on the 16 or 17 when everything is about going the opposite way.

The cosplayer fangirls already exists and probably you're one of them

So, it's not a big deal

Last edited by romanchan on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
You know what, I'm not going to stress it anymore. It'll make me look idiotic and like some other person I know of on a certain forum. It would be pointless to try and argue it further from my perspective, and I've stressed it enough. I don't like the idea of it, and I'm going to leave it at that. I'm not going to come back to this thread.
Vampireseal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
For all that is wonderfully vampiric, no, no, no. I second (well, forth or fifth) a Hellsing/Twilight crossover that ends in some carnage--on Bella and Ed's side Laughing

I see no harm in an anime of this, but God, could they not pick a more deserving vampire property? I'd rather see an anime of Kitty and the Midnight Hour--that's actually entertaining and Kitty is no Mary Sue.

And frankly, other than the "pretty" portrayals of vampires, Vampire Knight and Twilight were completely different stories to me. VK had far more complex characters, hell, just more interesting characters, than Twilight. At least Yuki could take care of herself, and Kaname wasn't so clear-cut in motives.

I'll stop before I turn this into an anti-Twilight post that lasts 25 pages.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
The thing I tend to hear about Twilight from everyone who reads it to see what the hype is about is that it is badly written. My English professor was actually laughing when she was talking about how students in another class created a poem from parts of a book, and one of them used Twilight. She was astounded at the amount of times descriptions of his deep shimmering eyes, his murky eyes, and his deep soulful eyes appeared. In one chapter.
There was a girl I worked on a temp assignment with, when I asked her what audio book she was listening to, made me promise not to make fun of her before telling me it was Twilight.
Hikori

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
There is no word that can describe how im feeling rite now...... Just wow...... Actullay this news can be beating it. Some of you may be shocked or this may open old wounds...

spoiler[High School Musical Manga]

Even if they were to make a anime of it, i wont watch it. Im not a twillight fan. If they do want to make an anime they use that money and make another season on a show *cough* Code Geass *cough*
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
The thing I tend to hear about Twilight from everyone who reads it to see what the hype is about is that it is badly written. My English professor was actually laughing when she was talking about how students in another class created a poem from parts of a book, and one of them used Twilight. She was astounded at the amount of times descriptions of his deep shimmering eyes, his murky eyes, and his deep soulful eyes appeared. In one chapter.
There was a girl I worked on a temp assignment with, when I asked her what audio book she was listening to, made me promise not to make fun of her before telling me it was Twilight.

Fans fall in love with characters. How many times anime/manga fans fall in love with their characters? They become more forgiving of the flaws. Should I even bring up the Haruhi franchise, or how many are praising KyoAni as god? Or Code Geass? Laughing
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't really care for this adaptation but I welcome "Sci-Fi" channel's name change. These guys have done enough to damage people's perseption of what science ficion and I just wish their new name was significantly different from the one they are using now.
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
We already have Vampire Knight.

We don't need a Twilight anime. :/
Satiety

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
omg, seriously? I've had enough hearing about Twilight this and that from readers and I had hoped it would stop after the series of books came out. Obviously it didn't when the movie came out. Now it "might" be an anime? Please, oh please, let it NOT come out. I've had enough of vampire stories for the rest of my life. If they want to make a famous book into an anime, let it BE Harry Potter >_>;

EDIT: never read/watch Twilight since vampires aren't really my thing Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12