• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's your opinion on american manga?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Torka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:23 pm Reply with quote
How do you feel about Americans artists making manga? It seems that the hardcore fanboys hate the American artists for "ripping off and ruining" manga. How do you feel about this? I feel that it's OK for them to do this. They are fans so they could make manga. I don't think that they are ripping anything off. They could do unique and innovative works. What's your opinion on this? Question
mfhq

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Oops, sorry about that. Didn't mean to double post. Anime smile + sweatdrop You can check out my post below this one. Wink

Last edited by mfhq on Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
mfhq

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Torka wrote:
How do you feel about Americans artists making manga? It seems that the hardcore fanboys hate the American artists for "ripping off and ruining" manga.

Most hardcore fanboys hate everything American. Laughing

I would like to see some more American manga. I doubt it would hold up against traditional Japanese manga but it would be a nice change.

America has been making their own kind of Manga for the past 60 - 70 years. It's called comic books, and I would certainly trade that Trigun Maximum for a Spider-Man anyday. I like manga but when your brought up on Incredible Hulk and Spider-Man, it just sticks with you.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:16 pm Reply with quote
mfhq wrote:
Torka wrote:
How do you feel about Americans artists making manga? It seems that the hardcore fanboys hate the American artists for "ripping off and ruining" manga.

Most hardcore fanboys hate everything American. Laughing

I would like to see some more American manga. I doubt it would hold up against traditional Japanese manga but it would be a nice change.
America has been making their own kind of Manga for the past 60 - 70 years. It's called comic books, and I would certainly trade that Trigun Maximum for a Spider-Man anyday. I like manga but when your brought up on Incredible Hulk and Spider-Man, it just sticks with you

American manga? Go read megatokyo then.

Spiderman better than Trigun? That's like comparing Spiderman the 90's tv series to Trigun the anime. Not the same old "villian of the week" and lame punch line like "stick around" while shooting his spider web. Actually megatokyo got more enjoyment value than spiderman comics.
rektagunn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:02 am Reply with quote
While I haven't read much american manga, I'd like to share an experience I had meeting with Ahmed Hoke, the creator of @Large. It was in Anime-Expo 2003 and I just happened to pass by the Tokyopop booth with him in it. Apparently, he was signing autographs but sadly enough, there was no line (at least when I passed by). So I ended up talking briefly to him and he turned out to be a real sincere and nice fella, committed to his work. Now I haven't read the manga yet (I plan to though, I've read some good reviews about it), but I do recognize his hard work and appreciation of anime and manga. I just wish him the best and hope to discourage these "fanboys" mentioned above.

Here's a link of his interview:
http://www.crowndozen.com/features/archives/000396.shtml
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:19 am Reply with quote
I haven't read too many American mangas, but I like Adam Warren's Dirty Pair. But its not so much a true manga as it is a comic. And I used to be into Gen 13 (thats another comic he worked on). Adams a translator for Studio Proteus as well.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:46 am Reply with quote
I'm all for it. Manga is just a style of comics, a medium of art if you will. It's pretty much the same as American comics, it just relies on black in white. In fact, going by the black and white rule, there's a ton of American comics that can fall under the manga category. Most comic artist that use black and white perfer it to color because they feel color is mainly used as a tool to clean up the mistakes noticable big time in black in white.

Now recently due to manga's popularity, some comic artist are trying the big eyes, black and white, and screen tone style. Again, I have nothing agianst it. Art is universal, and they have as much right to try it out as the Koreans with their manwha.

I'm already keeping my eyes open for those doing this with great art styles, and am hoping they produce great stories. Just because they aren't Japanese doesn't mean they can't produce something enjoyable.

As to those fans who are the "diehards" and hate the artist attempting to get the hang of their favorite style: screw them. The only way I see them retaining their stupid opinion is that they're obsessed with everything Japanese, and believe they can only like comics that come from Japan. They need to become more open-minded.

Excuse me if this is a sort of ecentric post. I'm sort of out of it right now.
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:48 am Reply with quote
Hum...I probably haven't read so many american comics as most of you. However, 10 years ago it was really easy to get something american, and very hard to get something japanese.

The older americans comics that I know aren't really original. The idea I have on them is that they're mainly of great heroes that in some way, they fight agaisnt great villains, always managing to conquer the world.

Thought, since I read MegaTokyo, I believe there are a lot of things out which I could personally enjoy more than a japanese comic. However, I can't say more americans comics that I liked as this one.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:29 am Reply with quote
Sarki-kun: There's a nice number of non-super hero type titles that are good to look into.

Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics have been going on for over 10 years, and keep winning awards. They're a real nice read, and go into subjects like what makes humanity, etc.

Alen Moore and Eddie Campbell's comic FROM HELL I keep hearing about, and I really want to get my hands on it. It's about the cases of Jack the Ripper, and inspired the movie of the same title with Johnny Depp.

And if you like "gothic" or demented things *like me*, or just neat art, try stuff by Jhonen Vasquez. He's the creator of Invader Zim, so it retains sort of the same look. However his comics didn't have to go through the sensors of Nickelodeon like Zim did.
hakootoko

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:50 am Reply with quote
First off, I want to say that Americans can't write manga. Sure, they can write comics in a manga-style (read enough manga and you'll start to wonder what 'manga-style' means...), but there's no point in us importing the word manga to refer to Japanese comics if we use it for American comics as well.

When people are done foaming at the mouth about my last paragraph, maybe they'll like to read what I have to say on the topic Smile

American manga-syle comics have been around for quite a few years. I have read and liked some 'classics' of manga-style comics like Ninja High School and Dirty Pair. The reason I don't read more is that American comics are just too expensive. American comics are more expensive than translated manga, which is more expensive than import manga, so I stick with just import manga.

I wouldn't compare most webcomics or other comic strips to manga. Do the Japanese do four-panel comics? I haven't seen any besides Azumanga, but maybe they just aren't popular over here so I haven't heard of them.

hakootoko
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:55 am Reply with quote
hakootoko wrote:
I wouldn't compare most webcomics or other comic strips to manga. Do the Japanese do four-panel comics? I haven't seen any besides Azumanga, but maybe they just aren't popular over here so I haven't heard of them.

As a matter of fact they do do four panels, and quite often. Magazines all over Japan have them, not to mention there's plenty of Japanese sites out their with their own "four panel" comics they post online. It's not uncommon for an actual manga artist to do a 4 panel manga either. Sakura Kinoshita I know for a fact does 4 panel manga for a magazine like Animage. I think your theory about them just not being popular here is right.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I was brought up on X-Men and Spider Man and I'd definantly choose good manga over them. Marvel has had some problems with their books in the past, say in X-Men's case revamping it every other week, thus killing my interest in it. The only US comic I still read is Sonic the Hedgehog.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not the same old "villian of the week" and lame punch line like "stick around" while shooting his spider web.

Actually that describes Trigun perfectly. Except the villians of the week are even lamer, and instead of making puch-lines he acts like an anoying goof-ball.
Torka

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:54 pm Reply with quote
It would be great if US artists could capture the art of storytelling like the Japanese. They could create a story at the same degree of stories like Akira and Castle In The Sky. Not random stuff like "fight the cheesy villian and save the day". More innovative and thoughtful material to amaze us. It would be awesome if a American could accomplish this.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:57 pm Reply with quote
They probably have. Like the independent scene often strays from the super hero archetypes, but I haven't really read any of those so I can't give any examples
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4