• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Does your rental store have a good anime selection

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I think the title is self explanatory. I just want to know because when I look through the forums people always recommend renting dvds like Eva, chobits, etc. I have two blockbusters near my house that have an extremely small selection. One carries Ghost in the shell. ninja scoll, and a couple others (about ten) but they are obscure titles that arent worth watching. THe other one has 2 volumes of the eva series, 3 hellsing, grave of the fireflies, gits, and a couple ok but not recent or exiting titles. DO your stores carry better and more recent or great titles?
KirklandVR6

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:49 pm Reply with quote
My friend and i just reciently found that a Hastings(a book, music, and video store) near my home had a huge anime rental sections. I dont know if you have ever heard of that store, but it is the only place that i know of that has a large rental section.
manuverse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:18 pm Reply with quote
My local blockbusters video has a small selection of old anime on video (Devil Hunter Yohko, Evangelion, etc.), theatrical anime movies (Metropolis, Spirited Away, etc.) and some brand new stuff (Stand Alone Complex, Gungrave, etc.) but not enough to satisfy my hunger for anime. Luckily the comic shop (Hill City Comics) in my city rents out anime and they have quite a lot of it. Theyre also one of the largest comic/anime dealers in north america. And so i have good access to anime rentals even if blockbusters doesnt have lot.
jfrog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Anime rental? Heh. Ahahahahahaha! This is what my rental store has:

-The entire Star Blazers series.
-Kimba the White Lion (60's series, I believe) on VHS
-Twilight of the Cockroaches, two copies
-Every Ghibli movie. All of them. The ones that haven't been released in America, they carry the R3's.
-Several of the old Toei Douga films, including Alakazam the Great, Puss in Boots, Gulliver's Travels Beyond the Moon, and Adventures of Hols, Prince of the Sun. Unfortunately, you either have to put down a $200 deposit while renting those, or it's an R3 that lacks English subtitles.
-Unico (again with the deposits, though)
-Angel's Egg - although that one's a bootleg, so I'm not sure if I should count it. Still, they have it!

Asking if they carry Haibane Renmei or Cat Soup is a stupid question, much less Ghost in the Shell. They've got pretty much everything except for Tamala 2010, Princess Arete, and Gauche the Cellist. And yes, this selection extends to their live action film as well (Four copies of El Topo? The legendary Criterion DVD of Salo? Sure!). Aren't I a spoiled brat?

Last edited by jfrog on Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:40 pm Reply with quote
can you please name your rental stores just so that if there is a chain of those stores I can look around my city and check for it. I think that asking for the city the rental store is too much so can you name the state because Im in texas and it would help if i can find something cause my blockbuster type stores around my house dont have a great selection and my best buy does have a good selection but they have discountinued a bunch of animes so some of the older titles including rahxephon are gone. THey have cowboy bebop, any new anime(normally), azumanga, ai yori aoshi, evangelion, etc.
gnollman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:53 pm Reply with quote
My local Hastings has a massive anime selection. Hell, it even has it's own section...

But then, mine is a college town in an area with a number of Japanese corporations, so it might be almost expected....
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Why does every Blockbuster have a copy of Heavy Metal 2000? I think it must be a store rule or something.

Our Blockbuster has:

- Eva 1-3
- Vampire Hunter D
- Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
- Pet Shop of Horrors
- all the Gilbli movies
- All of Hellsing
- Akira
- first disc of Inuyasha
- M.D. Geist
- Both Armitage movies
- Slayers the movie
BERSERK EVA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:59 pm Reply with quote
The blockbuster near me is small. But it is growing slowly. Every time I go it is a little bigger. There are only like 30 dvds.
Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I think there might be a hastings in my city but I doubt it. FOr some reason I have heard of hastings. Maybe when I was in another part of the country or maybe in a movie I might have seen it. Anyways I will make sure to check when I have some time. (I have time now but I am too lazy)
Lord Van

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:03 pm Reply with quote
The Hollywood video here has a good bit of older titles. They have some DVDS and VHS like Vampire Hunter D, Macross, Sailor Moon, Neon Genesis, Yu Yu Hakusho the movie, Tenchi, DBZ, Ninja Scroll, Bubble Gum Crisis and other older titles.

They occasionally get some newer DVDs such as the Reign series, Memories, Princess Mononoke, Initial D, Spriggan, Sin and some others.
IceKitten

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Yes it have, but my store is like... 160 km away! I have to order over the internet. The store called "siencefiction bokhandeln" or something has over 200 maybe 300 diffrent titles. Its in Sweden, and I just love the store! Anyway, it dosen´t have the latest stuff so I have to wait...
And yes it have very good anime!
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the video stores in my town, only the Block Busters carry anime. You occasionally see some theatrical relases like Spirited Away and Miyazaki films at ones like Family Video or Hollywood Video but that is pretty much it. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Toronto, Canada, awsome place to be if you're an anime fan. i know of 2 stores that have a monstrous selection of anime for rent(AnimeXtreme and 1,000,000 Comix) if its out on R1 DVDs, you can rent it there.

and about a dozen more stores that have great anime selctions but dont rent.
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, my local store doesn't have diddly, and I've only noticed Cowboy Bebop The Movie at Blockbuster.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Anyone in Southern california around the L.A. area, there's ComicsFactory (carry almost every current R1 title), Kawaii anime (huge selection) and Orbit comic and Anime (pretty good selection). I know there's a lot more rental store, just havn't had a chance to look around, especially in Little Tokyo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3